• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won a M923A2! Loading question:

Flatlander

Well, I have owned several military vehicles in the past, and have been without for the past 8 years or so (very low smiles per gallon in the company car). I've never bid on one, and am excited to get back into the hobby.

I won a truck at Ft. Bliss, and have submitted my EUC. Ugh. Two months. I was hoping to have it in time for the Independance day parade, but it looks like it will have to wait until next year...

So, I have a question. This truck is a non-runner. It doesn't have batteries. Other than that, it looks great. I'm planning to have it loaded on a lowboy flatbed and hauled to me in Lubbock. GovPlanet won't give me the contact information for the onsite person who will be my point of contact at Ft. Bliss for the truck until my EUC clears.

Are these guys usually willing to help get the truck loaded? I'm hoping all it needs is a jump, but if not, is it completely up to the buyer and/or shipper to load? From what I'm reading, it can vary from base to base.

Thanks in advance! I searched for an answer before posting this, but didn't find anything specific.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do not jump start it without batteries installed.

You actually need good batteries to run it or you can ruin the alternator.

Flatlander

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't do that for a long period of time. I was thinking just to get it loaded on the trailer. Would a short time running without batteries be likely to hurt the alternator? Since this is my first experience with this, I don't know the process. I can buy batteries and have them delivered to the base, or ask the transportation company if they have the ability to winch the truck onto the trailer. I'd just like to hear what experiences y'all have had with base personnel assisting with loading a vehicle.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't do that for a long period of time. I was thinking just to get it loaded on the trailer. Would a short time running without batteries be likely to hurt the alternator? Since this is my first experience with this, I don't know the process. I can buy batteries and have them delivered to the base, or ask the transportation company if they have the ability to winch the truck onto the trailer. I'd just like to hear what experiences y'all have had with base personnel assisting with loading a vehicle.
Yes, just trying to start without batteries can kill the alternator.
As far as loadout assistance it is best to contact the site rep to find out, what did it say in the auction listing about loadout assistance ?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They won't give him site rep contact info until the EUC clears.

Ideally you want to be there in person. Failing that, you want your shipper to know not to allow forklifting or similar destructive loading. You want your shipper to know what to expect and to waive off if the truck doesn't match expectations.

Flatlander

Thanks to you both for sharing your advice on the jump start without battery question! I'll definitely talk to the site rep when gplanet lets me have the contact info (after the EUC clears). The listing doesn't mention loadout assistance. Only that the proper loading ramps are required. If the rep isn't willing to load the truck using base batteries (likely), then I'm sure Interstate will deliver batteries to the site. If the truck won't start, are shippers usually able to winch a truck up on the trailer?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Winching a 939series 5ton involves either caging the brakes or supplying air to the front emergency gladhand.

Winching capabilities vary by shipper.

As for loading assistance, I've experienced everything from GP ready with slave cables and a running truck, to "you're completely on your own"

I don't think shipping batteries is going to be a viable option.

Edit - PM sent

Last edited:

Flatlander

Ideally you want to be there in person. Failing that, you want your shipper to know not to allow forklifting or similar destructive loading. You want your shipper to know what to expect and to waive off if the truck doesn't match expectations.
Yikes, a forklift big enough to load a 5-ton sounds like damage waiting to happen. I can make the trip to the base if that is the best thing to do. If so, I'll take everything I might need to get it started and on the trailer. I'd consider driving it home, 282 miles, but I've seen too many videos of broken down auction winnings. I'd rather avoid that.

What he said8)

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Hey Flatlander, that is a great looking truck and I bet with batteries she will fire up and run well as it looks like it wasn't abused. Great price too. Hope the EUC clears quick so you can get her in your hands!! Please keep us posted and pics when you do the recovery please. Congratulations and welcome to the 5 ton club. I really enjoy mine.

tobyS

You don't have to have great batteries, just 2 that are not dead (if there is a jump vehicle).

Have you read the many battery threads? I like the big 8D, 1400cca from Oreilly. 2 replaces 4 and cost about $220 each if you negotiate. Just be careful with those big batteries terminals hitting when the seat is lowered, all the blocks must be out and a small one put in, so the hold downs (welded in the battery box) don't poke the bottom of the battery. You need about 1/2" spacer under them.

Be prepared for fuel issues. Lots of non-runners have more than just battery issues. You can take a fuel can and run the pickup line from the pump but without the return line going back into the can, it won't last too long, it will pump the extra fuel into the truck tank. But it would run long enough to get loaded with one gallon.

Make sure your trucker has a glad hand to glad hand connection or will take his off the trailer to air up your system, like has been mentioned, to release the brakes. Don't let them pull it with brakes locked and flat spot the tires.

Be prepared to hire a wrecker to pull it on if you can't get it running. In the days of 20-30 being sold at a time, there was usually some help but now that there are only a few, help may not be around. Good luck.

Flatlander

Update:

Thanks to 98G I got the contact info for the site rep at Ft. Bliss.

I really wanted to get some idea of what I might need to do even though my EUC is still in process. I texted the site rep and he immediately called to answer my questions. As it turns out, he has two M923A2s he personally owns and loves the trucks.

He told me that they have moved the truck I won from Ft. Bliss to a lot they have in Las Cruces, NM (about 40 miles away from Ft. Bliss). He said he put 4 new Hawker batteries in the truck and that I could have them since they were too heavy for him to want to take them back out...score! He said the fuel was good in the truck, and he was able to see that fuel was getting to the injection pump, but not going past that point. It's his opinion that there is a shear pin in the pump that likely needs replacement, and that he has seen that before.

He said the truck is a good one, and he thinks it shouldn't be hard to fix.

When I asked him about load-out assistance, he said that I don't need to come on site. He said they will use two forklifts to lift the truck by the tires and place it on the trailer. He said he will be very careful not to damage anything. I believe him since he has several of these he owns personally. He recommended a shipper that they have had good experiences with.

So, it looks like getting the truck to Lubbock will be a simple process. My question now is, have y'all seen a shear pin issue like this? I'll go through the TMs and see what I can find out. I'm very mechanically inclined, and wouldn't have an issue doing some work like this, but if you guys have some experience with this issue I'd love to hear it. When the pin shears, have you had to replace the pump, or just the pin? I'm thinking that if it's caused by fuel contamination or "shuddering starts" the pump may be ok.

tobyS

Man, you lucked out on the Hawkers. Your trucker can air the brakes to get it off. Good luck

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Just saw this picture of the timing gear. What has to be replaced when this happens? The gear looks damaged. Did it damage anything else?
Valves broken. Hole in a piston. Jumped time. He did a full rebuild.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Rmtaunton

19 out of twenty it's a simple fix , don't worry your self to much , Wes was giving a worst case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks