Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kia Military Vehicles

Corporal
    Thanks

There have been several series of these trucks made by Korea. The first was the K511 (m35a2 copy) and the k711 (m813 copy) produced in the late 80's early 90's through early 2000's. They are almost the exact same trucks respectively, the only difference I can find in them is Kia uses German built MAN diesel engines, which is a step up in reliability, power, and speed over the multi-fuel. Parts are also far more readily had. The second series is the km250 (m35) and km500 (m813). These have the different grill and headlight style, as well as the modified and improved interior. Both still have MAN engines.

I'm currently in Korea now, will be for the next 4 months or so, and since I speak Korean, I plan to visit their factory over here, and see what the possibility / cost is to sell them to the civilian market in the U.S., as well as I am going to contact their Dept. of Defense, to see what the availability is for the used versions of all their trucks coming out of service.

My question is: what would you guys like to see more of? The copy of the M715, M35, or M800 series? I'll need to be able to approach Kia saying there is actually a market people will by there trucks in the U.S. if they will sell them there.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions on these trucks etc. I will include some pictures of their trucks.
    From Left to right
    (Far Left) K511 KM250 K711 KM500 K311 (Far Right)
    c0049015_4b321fb75d795.jpgk51-cargo-2.jpgK-711_Truck_with_M114_Howitzer.jpgUnknown.jpeg17018d7e-ec70-43c2-958f-52dda7ec5beb.jpg
    Last edited by Truckdriver47; 09-04-2017 at 19:55.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,866 Times in 954 Posts

I'll take one of these, if they're selling.

Edit: So, this is an official RoKA vehicle. I saw a few of them in service (~3, one of which was a CG's truck). They had some nice off-road tires as an option too. and a Radio set or similar in the trunk.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bikeman; 09-05-2017 at 12:07.
    Former Captain, Current DA Civilian, United States Army, Logistics

2018 VIN Thread - put a fork in it, we're done here. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...et-excited-yet

1951 M38 (It works... sometimes)
    1952 M100 (restoration complete)
    1953 M100 (project trailer)
    1977 M880 (restoration almost complete)
    1976 M880 (unrestored)
    Pioneer Tool Trailer
    1999 CUCV-II USAF
    2002/2003 Kawasaki KLR650/M1030 Motorcycle
    2004(?) Honda CRF250X NSW Dirt Bike

Ft. Bragg inspector... $Case of beer per lot, cannot do "go look at this now" items (response time is a minimum of 1 day, up to a couple weeks depending on my schedule)

Corporal
    Thanks

Dang, I'll have to look into those as well. I know they make a small 1/4 ton (basically their version of the jeep) military vehicle, but I am the guy that goes for anything 2.5 tons and up, haha.

Thanks

I really hope they kept simple systems on these trucks, went away from all of the electronics, tire inflation systems, etc. used on the 900 series trucks. Seeing how many owners have problems with all of the components on the 900 series I think it is a big mistake for the armed forces to go to that kind of sophistication for a truck that soldiers will depend on, possibly ultimately to save their lives under harsh conditions away from repair services. The M series vehicles are simple systems to maintain. They can run without batteries if given a push start. Keep the ability of the truck to run and drive away from being controlled by a bunch of electronic systems so dependability is at the highest level. It is my opinion, the simpler the better for dependable service! I have always had the impression the Russian Ural trucks are tough puppies, an example of a truck simple in design and with the ability to keep going under really adverse conditions. I'll bet a steak dinner they do not have all of the sophisticated systems prone to problems we have gone to. Maybe all of the sophistication was due to EPA. EPA regulators very seldom have to live or die by their BS regulations to save the world like a soldier will ultimately have to with the trucks, so they do not know or care what the real world is.
    Warsaw, Indiana
    2 M-880 Pickups
    2 M-200 Trailers
    3 M-105 Trailers
    3 M35A2 Deuces
    1 M-139 5 Ton Bridge Truck
    1 M-543A2 5 Ton Wrecker
    2 M-51A2 5 Ton Dump Trucks
    1 M-52A2 5 Ton Tractor
    3 M-135/ M-211 Deuces
    1 IHC T-9 SeaBees Dozer
    1 M-313 Shop Van
    1 M-689 Shelter Dolly Set
    1 M-715 1964 Jeep
    2 M-37 Dodge
    1968 Dodge Monaco 413 Ramcharger

In memorial Ron - 73M819 Robo McDuff's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 719 Posts

I like the 1 1/4 ton truck, they shipped them also to Europe?
    M51A2 - M52A2 dual purpose truck, waiting for a double brake circuit conversion

The Soca / Izonso Front, also known as the the Forgotten Front of WW1

Czech Emigration Museum - Cold War, US Army Engineers in Europe exhibition in preparation

Our historic blacksmith workshop in Nove Hrady, Czech Republic

Thanks
    Thanked 9,844 Times in 5,768 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M543A2 View Post
    I really hope they kept simple systems on these trucks, went away from all of the electronics, tire inflation systems, etc. used on the 900 series trucks. Seeing how many owners have problems with all of the components on the 900 series I think it is a big mistake for the armed forces to go to that kind of sophistication for a truck that soldiers will depend on, possibly ultimately to save their lives under harsh conditions away from repair services. The M series vehicles are simple systems to maintain. They can run without batteries if given a push start. Keep the ability of the truck to run and drive away from being controlled by a bunch of electronic systems so dependability is at the highest level. .
    You likely got a good point there. The "regulations" aren't all totally BS, but then there's something to what you say, also.

Somewhere in the middle of the two issues is probably optimal.
    M35A2 w/Winch SOLD

4 Star General
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 1,146 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
    I'll take one of these, if they're selling.

Edit: So, this is an official RoKA vehicle. I saw a few of them in service (~3, one of which was a CG's truck). They had some nice off-road tires as an option too. and a Radio set or similar in the trunk.
    Isn't that a Suburu? I notice the name is blocked out.

4 Star General
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 1,146 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M543A2 View Post
    I really hope they kept simple systems on these trucks, went away from all of the electronics, tire inflation systems, etc. used on the 900 series trucks. Seeing how many owners have problems with all of the components on the 900 series I think it is a big mistake for the armed forces to go to that kind of sophistication for a truck that soldiers will depend on, possibly ultimately to save their lives under harsh conditions away from repair services. The M series vehicles are simple systems to maintain. They can run without batteries if given a push start. Keep the ability of the truck to run and drive away from being controlled by a bunch of electronic systems so dependability is at the highest level. It is my opinion, the simpler the better for dependable service! I have always had the impression the Russian Ural trucks are tough puppies, an example of a truck simple in design and with the ability to keep going under really adverse conditions. I'll bet a steak dinner they do not have all of the sophisticated systems prone to problems we have gone to. Maybe all of the sophistication was due to EPA. EPA regulators very seldom have to live or die by their BS regulations to save the world like a soldier will ultimately have to with the trucks, so they do not know or care what the real world is.

I sure have to agree with you on that. The most expensive of the mil vehicles, the Stewart and Stevenson's, are the ones always being towed out of high water and or getting their inhabitants killed. All that electronics is expensive in more than just money...people dying. And of course NOT made in the USA.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,866 Times in 954 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tobyS View Post
    Isn't that a Suburu? I notice the name is blocked out.
    pretty sure it was a Kia.

Their 1 1/4 T is actually a pretty nice truck. I would definitely take one of those. It'd be fun.
    Former Captain, Current DA Civilian, United States Army, Logistics

2018 VIN Thread - put a fork in it, we're done here. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...et-excited-yet

1951 M38 (It works... sometimes)
    1952 M100 (restoration complete)
    1953 M100 (project trailer)
    1977 M880 (restoration almost complete)
    1976 M880 (unrestored)
    Pioneer Tool Trailer
    1999 CUCV-II USAF
    2002/2003 Kawasaki KLR650/M1030 Motorcycle
    2004(?) Honda CRF250X NSW Dirt Bike

Ft. Bragg inspector... $Case of beer per lot, cannot do "go look at this now" items (response time is a minimum of 1 day, up to a couple weeks depending on my schedule)

In memorial Ron - 73M819 Robo McDuff's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 719 Posts

Their 1 1/4 ton truck success story is actually almost a licensed copy of the not so successful but highly popular M715
    M51A2 - M52A2 dual purpose truck, waiting for a double brake circuit conversion

The Soca / Izonso Front, also known as the the Forgotten Front of WW1

Czech Emigration Museum - Cold War, US Army Engineers in Europe exhibition in preparation

Our historic blacksmith workshop in Nove Hrady, Czech Republic

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast