• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Springs

50BMG

I am trying to lighten the MM by replacing the leaf springs with fiberglass ones,does anybody have any ideas or suggestions on this?I was going to try coil overs,but it would require modification of the mounts and I don't want to permanently modify. I have the mite under 1500 lbs now and it really runs good.Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. THANK YOU.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just saw your thread. I'm sorry I missed it. I have a bunch of questions, all of which are stated to help me learn about your situation.

Do you have a M422 or a M422A1? Is it running and driving without issue? Why would you want to modify the leaf springs? What reasons do you have for making your Mite any lighter? What are your overall goals with your Mite?

From my experience working on my wife's Mite: anything I (or my mechanic) pulls apart will be a royal pain in the buns to put back together. I suggest you read my thread:
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?156523-Operation-Mighty-Mite-Miracle/

Her poor Mite has seen some seriously shoddy repair work in years past, and has cost A LOT of time and A LOT of money to remedy. Trust me - I really didn't want to shell out $350 for a new steering wheel and $250+ for a new steering column and box. auaauaaua

50BMG

I'm sorry I haven't checked on this thread,I didn't think I would get a reply.I'm just trying to make it better riding, and just to have a project.it's a m422a1,ground up rebuild and just fun to drive and brag about.I drove one in viet Nam and really enjoyed it.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 2cents + tax, for whatever it's worth. If your A1 has enough parts to restore original, please put your time and energy into bringing it back to its former glory. Paint it up to honor your unit. :)

There are so few running and driving Mites in the world. My wild guess is that there's a couple hundred, if that. I wish I had the time and money to rescue and restore another Mite. I love them just the way they are. Unfortunately I live in suburbia and have a limited budget.

Surplus City Jeep Parts has a bunch of Mite parts. I know it's a good 400 miles north of you, but at least the they're in the same state. I order my parts from Daryl Bensinger. The cross country journey will probably cost you more.

50BMG

Thanks for your reply ODFEVER.I already have it restored and painted with my unit insignia on it,I would just like to play with it.They are very cool vehicles, but nobody understands them.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've talked to many Marines that have never seen a Mite before. There's nothing else like them anywhere. I guess that may explain why no one understands them.

Can you please post a bunch of picture of your M422A1? I'd love to see it!!! :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks