• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

W400 Ambulance: aka: Dubya Four Hundred Bambulance: I GOT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a real nice thread on here somewhere where a fellow from FL did a frame off on an 886 or W400. Had lots of nice pics of how he removed and repaired that nose cone.

Last edited:

michigandon

There is a real nice thread on here somewhere wherw a fellow from FL did a frame off on an 886 or W400. Had lots of nice pics of how he removex and repaired that nosecone.
Pretty sure you're referring to Lawrence Of Arabias truck?

Was studying those pictures just a week or three ago.

41WC18

LOVING the W400!!!!!!!!!!!! - no matter the evolution!
That roof top is looking pretty bad! What about another 886 roof section to replace it with?

michigandon

LOVING the W400!!!!!!!!!!!! - no matter the evolution!
That roof top is looking pretty bad! What about another 886 roof section to replace it with?
I was thinking look for a step van or semi trailer being scrapped, or maybe even a bus?

Closest thing I can get from the local metal suppliers is three 4x8 sheets. Then again, that would probably be easier to work with than a single big huge piece, if I'm going to DIY.

michigandon

Did you check with any RV repair places? They replace motor home roofs all the time.
No, but I was contemplating doing exactly that.

Most RV places deal exclusively in rubber membrane roofs this days, which I actually wouldn't have a problem with. I don't give a hoot about it being correct or show quality, I just wast to keep the rainwater out and stave of the corrosion for a least a few more years.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also consider stealing roof skin off of an M1010. I think it's big enough. Might find a lot of good parts if you can find a 1010 body.

41WC18

I was thinking look for a step van or semi trailer being scrapped, or maybe even a bus?

Closest thing I can get from the local metal suppliers is three 4x8 sheets. Then again, that would probably be easier to work with than a single big huge piece, if I'm going to DIY.
Maybe a step van or a semi trailer but I wouldn't think a typical bus roof section would work too well. I have a 4x8 sheet of 16 gauge to be used on the L & R lower sides of my red M886; that stuff is fairly strong. Does cross bracing need to be (re)installed?

michigandon

Does cross bracing need to be (re)installed?
I think some of it may have been compromised, hopefully not. I'm going to try to get the old roof cut off this weekend and determine.

If I cannot find a single large piece, I may need to install additional ones where the ends butt up against each other.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, the 1010 is aluminum. It does have steel crossmembers though. Galvanealled sheet might be a good choice if you can source it locally. You may want to ring up MDMorgan for some brotherly advice as he and Mahala have extensive knowledge in the field.

michigandon

Yeah, the 1010 is aluminum. It does have steel crossmembers though. Galvanealled sheet might be a good choice if you can source it locally. You may want to ring up MDMorgan for some brotherly advice as he and Mahala have extensive knowledge in the field.
Was contemplating Galvalume, but not sure if it is available locally. Wouldn't have to worry about painting the underneath!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks like the ticket. I was looking at that site a while back for fender flares. I'm trying to find something exactly like the W400 has to add to my M1010. If I can source something like that, I may dual it as well.

michigandon

That looks like the ticket. I was looking at that site a while back for fender flares. I'm trying to find something exactly like the W400 has to add to my M1010. If I can source something like that, I may dual it as well.
How about making some out of a piece of culvert, or a 55-gallon drum (don't laugh!)?

41WC18

I've seen the culvert and drum "thing" - could work. The big concern with the roll roofing is to make sure your bracing/cross members are just so. That stuff is 22 gauge, just like car parts stores sell.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks