• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first Humvee build

Hello all :)

As stated I am a noob to steel soldiers and have been using the knowledge and experience of the users to "edumacate" myself on the inner workings of these wondrous machines. I did a little time in the suck from 04-09 in the good old Marine Corps and always seemed to have this itch to spruce up/build up one of these old war horses.

That being said I "won" the first thing in my life, lol, a 1990 M998 4 door truck body. She needs some serious love but I have my plans. My wife on the other hand is pissed at me and doesn't seem to understand a man needs his toys.

Since I just won today I finished everything required. Hold Harmless is complete, EUC is completed (and the wait begins), and the payment has been wired. All is left is to figure out who is going to ship the beast from Maryland to Georgia (suggestions please). Here is a pic I am sure some of you have seen on the auction block today. Of course this is one of their photos but when I can I will be sure to show photos as my machine arrives home as well as before and after shots as she proceeds through its restoration.

749121_6002_0_0001.jpg

NormB

Welcome to the madness. There's a LOT of transportation companies willing to compete for your money as well as several guys here with trailers if you ask around. I think there's even a forum for transportation needs. Lok for a company called uship; there's others, too. Good luck.

Thanks guys, my wife will see the light at the end of the tunnel after we come out the other side, she wakes up and she's blinded by its light. That being said I have had to jump over things before to accomplish goals so I guess this is no different lol.

Also I posted a request for transportation in the transportation section as suggested, we shall see if I get any bites :)

I look forward to many adventures with you gentlemen.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Looks like a nice rig. Keep us updated on delivery progress and repairs once you get it home.
Most definitely. I have been doing a lot of research using the wealth of knowledge here. I already know it needs some minor parts just from govplanets inspection.

Driver side mirror assembly
Driver seat back cushion
X doors (paint doesn't matter as long as they are not delaminating)
Batteries (have no idea what the battery setup even looks like on a 1990)

I want to go ahead and get some problem areas taken care of once I receive it for reliability people have mentioned if it needs it.

A walboro lift pump
Pcm relocation kit
Glow plug control box update

We all know the maintenance needs to be addressed immediately and at the suggestion of many on this forum I decided to stick to conventional oils until I can replace gaskets and such. I decided to just buy a bunch in bulk so I can flush the system real well before hand then change the fluids again after the first 50 miles to be sure I got anything out of the system that may have broken free from the fresh oils. Definitely changing out the rubber hoses and replacing the belts as well as greasing all the suspension components and running some fuel system cleaner. Not to mention replacing the oil, fuel, and transmission filter and draining the water seperator.

I do want to completely pull the coolant system, blow out all the fins to remove any debree as well as wash out any old fluids and straighten bent cooling fins. Sounds like a good time right.

The EUC started processing on the 27th of June so I don't expect to be seeing it till late August to early September best case scenario.

Anyone care to help me decide on a color? I am leaning towards gloss black but I think a Matt black finish would be cool too. My brother in law is an exceptional auto painter and has everything to perform a pro paint job. He's even won first place at some pretty big car events with his work, so I'll leave that to him.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have built several cars in the past but this one so far is my favorite and I haven't even seen it in person yet.

I'd like to have most of this stuff together when it gets here so any help would be awesome. Thanks.

Yesterday I got a notification that my EUC was "submitted".....holy mother of God this is going to take forever...

"There is no darkness we'll not face boldly for each other, so to hells gates I will charge to ransom back my brother"

I have been researching the different years and the changes/options available for the 6.2 vs 6.5 diesels.

This research has led to the understanding that the 6.2s were never manufactured as turbo but later installed banks turbo kits on at the dealership. The 6.5 came turbo charged with early models having side mount turbos and military hummers recieving top mounted turbo systems.

The n/a models came with 90 degree heads and a different intake manifold, same on 6.2 and 6.5s and the 6.5 turbo came with 60 degree angled heads for the intake manifold bolts and a two piece manifold for side mounts. The hmmwv has a top mount 3 piece (2 lower one upper plenum) with a center mounted turbo.
The heads also had dempled valves for higher air fuel rates.

Provided i got most of my information correct is there a turbo intake manifold that is the side mount variety that comes with 90 degree angle bolt holes capable of bolting to the 90 degree head design?

Please correct me if my research is incorrect above. Its hard to sort through all the info and verify facts from garbage or opinions.

I have seen a few intake mods to attach turbo to the 6.2 intake manifold. Does anyone know of any marketed options or can fabricate one for a fair price. Also interested in a side mounted turbo manifold that will work with the hmmwv. THANKS!!!!

"There is no darkness we'll not face boldly for each other, so to hells gates I will charge to ransom back my brother"

So yesterday i got my hands on some newish condition soft doors and a cargo cover for my short bed on my m998 4 seater and a good used driver side seat back cushion. Total cost to me thanks to Ryan Mcholan was $325 bucks. Doors came complete with serviceable windows, zippers, hinges, door handles, and door stop hooks. Thanks again Ryan.

Today i hung all of them up and using a good degreasing soap cleaned them in preperation for painting with the direction of Sul Sully. He had a good experience with a good quality exterior flat finish paint that im going to try hopefully some time later this week. I plan to show pics of the trucks progress as i go along.

My objective is to keep the overall dollar amount spent to get the truck on the road and ultimatly justify its existance as a work/fun truck.

So far this is how much i have in it broken down.

1990 M998 4 door with one soft door 2 leaks and 4 brand new 37" tires with run flats and no batteries with a 6.2 engine and turbo 400 3 speed transmission:
$5,960.50 cents after fees, taxes, and SF97.

Extra engine for parts and to build complete with intake, injectors, fuel pump, and exhaust manifolds. Plus 700r4 transmission with tv cable, bracket, and dipstick. 75,000 miles out of a 1983 pick up truck with engine stand:
$295

As mentioned above, 3 soft doors, toneu cover, and driver seat back cushion:
$325

1 gallon flat black exterior vynal paint and smooth finish rollers:
$35

Picking up this week:
Used gm turbo mid 90s model:
$50

Used 6.5l turbo 60 degree angled heads pressure tested and inspected, turbo exhaust manifolds, and intake manifolds for side mount turbo:
$400

5 gallon bucket 15w 40 engine oil, 5 gallon dex/merc transmission fluid, 50/50 radiator fluid, 5 gallon 80w90 gear oil, and 1 gallon dot 5 brake fluid, all conventional except brake fluid:
apx $250

Not buying batteries till truck is shipped.

$7,015.50 total investment (i think, i did this in my head).

Of course this will go up with shipping cost and needed items not forseen once the truck arrives.

I have not posted anything on this in a while so I decided to write a short story :)

I do not remember if I mentioned it or not but I bought an 1983 n/a 6.2l with a 700r4 transmission bolted to it for 200 bucks from a guy that was going to scrap it. I used the motor as a way to familiarize myself with the ins and outs of the engine that is in my m998. Although there are extensive differences a lot is still the same, mainly the internals. Either way it was an education stripping it down to heads and just getting an idea of what it entails.

After stripping it down, and loving turbo applications so much since my last two projects have been forced induction gas platforms, I was brainstorming ideas on a turbo setup for the m998. I searched around online to see what others had done to there trucks and what manufactured options were out there. I was shocked to discover that there are no real options available. The only real option is the Banks sidewinder kit and it has to be modified to work for the hmmwv (and as far as turbo kits go that I have seen it is straight garbage, no offense). In most cases I get the classic

"Dont waste your time, it is not worth it. You would be better off buying a full engine and doing a 4L80e swap"........lame. Although I agree to some extent it might be a better option, **** it I just want to give it a shot. I was so surprised that when I googled it I got ZERO pics of custom kits and a TON of center mount factory turbo pics. ALSO LAME.

This is by no means a jab at the people who own those, I just love coming up with new ideas or doing things a little different. At this time I would Like to say I am sorry to you purist guys out there who want to keep things exactly as they were in the military, but having used this trucks in combat I think I have earned the right to do whatever the F*** I want to do with mine :) (nothing but love fellas).

On that note here is where my "bubba it up" starts.

I got to looking at the manifold that was on my old 1983 engine that was used on the driver side of the engine. Interesting enough it favored the Banks Power system and I was curious if there was any truth to the manifolds being capable of swapping from one side to the other. I took the manifold, flipped it upside down and backwards and bolted it to the holes on the passenger side of my 6.2. Ill be ****ed, it fit. It was not perfect, the exhaust ports did not line up as straight as I would like but I can fix that. The other problem being that the exhaust 3 bolt flange was facing upwards was also going to have to be corrected.

Obviously the passenger side is ideal for the turbo location due to the large void that is on that side of the engine bay where the air box setup is located. the exhaust manifold also tapers to one end so it does not matter which way it faces, the exhaust will be directed accordingly. The change in direction opens up a large area for the turbo down pipe, which more than likely will have an inside diameter of 3" and depending on space may expand to 4".

CUE ELECTRIC DISK GRINDER!! The direction of my cast iron manifold exhaust flange just will not do so I chopped it off just behind the flange and downward at a 45 degree angle with a 3 to 5 degree inward turn. This will allow a good spot to weld on a 3 bolt 2 1/8" exhaust flange for the crossover pipe. I stood back and took a look at my work and was pleased at how it appeared to allow sufficient space to offset the larger, charge side of the turbo forward of the heads and valve cover. and allowed plenty of clearance for the turbo hot side to clear the fuel lines, injectors, heads, and of course fire wall. Also because of the low flat surface of the manifold it allowed for the turbo to rest just below the opening to the air box to retain its deep fording water system. Checking clearances for glow plugs and injectors around the manifold allowed for a quarter inch of clearance at all points, this is more than enough space considering I will be grinding the manifold smooth, ceramic coating it, and then heat rapping it pre installation.

About that turbo...yea its a chinese hx35 turbo for a Dodge I bought brand new for $160 bucks with gaskets off ebomb, I spent 11 bucks on an iron T3 turbo flange (also china) and another 6 bucks each on a 3 bolt flanges (you guessed it..china). These items are also expendable for test purposes and its not like I cant "go get a turbo motor and a 4L80e" like everyone else right? Moving on..

THe HX35 is much larger than I anticipated but the egt temps, flow, and in and out are superior to the GM model so i am glad I went this direction. I grinded the Dodge style attachment off the end of the charge side of the cold side of the turbo, plugging the holes in the turbo of course to protect from metal shavings flying into the precious turbo, to make it mate up to silicone tubing to connect the piping to the intercooler. I also chopped off an inch of excess steel on the waste gate bracket to help with clearance between the firewall and the engine. To make sure my measurements were as accurate as possible, because every inch is going to count with this size turbo, I drilled out the bolt holes in the exhaust manifold 2mm or so to allow for better alignment of the manifold to the exhaust ports on the head. I then rested the turbo in the area the turbo flange will be located to determine distances, lining up the front lip of the intake side of the cold side of the turbo with the front edge of the harmonic balancer on the engine.

Coming up is the joy of welding a cast iron manifold, fun...

Cannot do that till this weekend so Ill keep you posted on the progress in that department. In the mean time I ordered another passenger side manifold and bolted it backwards and it not only fit perfect but it turned the exhaust flange in the exact direction I wanted it to, so zero modification is needed. I plan to clean it up real good and ceramic coat it and heat rap it as well. The crossover pipe i am making out of pieced together 2 1/8" stainless steel mandrel bent pipe. Not only will it be a shorter crossover pipe but it will have less bends and maintain more exhaust velocity (theoretically) than the Banks system that maintains the existing factory manifold. Once the crossover is welded together and cleaned up it will also be (we know ceramic coated and heat rapped).

I hope that I can make this system work with my truck as the genii pig. I am going to clean my truck up and get some good base dyno numbers (which is going to be hilarious). Then I am going to assemble my kit and using cheap egt and oil temp, as well as boost gauges street tune the truck to 10 psi boost. After that is accomplished I will go run another dyno run and see what the gains are. I will post all my notes and findings for everyone to see and then hopefully offer an affordable, customizable turbo option for everyone. For the purist out there, the objective is to maintain all mechanical setup, to include a built 700r4 transmission with a manual valve body probably. I want to blend it in as seamless as possible. I hate chrome and shiny stuff so likely most of this will be matt black with an exception of the turbo housing.

Another reason I am so **** bent on the side mount setup is I do not like the idea of having all that turbo heat cooped up behind the dog house like that. Theoretically heat will escape a lot easier from the side mounted setup, especially as low as I am trying to mount it. It also keeps the head away from the already failure prone cylinders where the crossover pipe and hot side of the turbo are so close to...just saying. I know some of you follow a lot of the groups on Facebook and I recently posted on there asking if anyone was interested in a turbo kit under 2k and the response was amazing. I hope I can get it together for those that are interested. This weekend I should learn a lot about the problem areas.

Please post your thoughts and concerns. Any feedback will be nice. Thanks!

Welded up the manifold and even had a chance to get up close and take some measurements thanks to Mike Vaden at Black Dog.

Learned two things while fabbing this up, one i got a lot to learn about welding and two grinding an ugly weld is a huge pain in the ass!

Either way this is only a first try manifold to see how this design works and how it will fit or what modification needs to be made to make it fit.

EUC was approved today, could not get in touch with my point of contact probably because I found out late in the evening. Calling first thing in the morning to schedule pick up!

BsquadHotrod

Just wanted to drop some kudos for the write up thus far. I am about 2 months behind you on a similar HMMWV project and this has been helpful. I am looking forward to seeing the next steps.
-Steve

Well this is my luck, i should of had my truck yesterday, however my truck driver had a hub blow out on his truck and was down for two days missing the tiny 4 hour window to pick up my truck on tuesdays, the only day i can pick up, at Ft. Meade. Unfortunatly another truck could not pick up the slack with the small window so i have to wait till this coming Tuesday for it to be pucked up. I do have more confidence in this new driver though. He seems to be more on point and claims he may have it to me by Wednesday fingers crossed).

Bsquad, im glad to know someone out there is listening lol and glad to know im helping someone out. I plan to do a lot of before, after, and in progress shots so anyone can use them. It was hard to find pics to use for some of my ideas. Good Luck!

Finally got my truck Tuesday of this week! Unfortunatly i have not had time to do anything with her because of my remodeling project. Soon i will begin service, clean up, and paint preperation.

A few pics of course.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks