• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M750 van trailer

Kwai

I have a M750 van trailer that I need to get from GL in Hooks. I had a commercial trucker try to pick it up and he said couldn't hook up because the kingpin is set so far back the landing legs hit the rear of his truck. Will I have problems hooking this trailer up to a M275A2 or a M818? I figure a dolly would also work but I don't have access to a dolly.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The commercial Guy needs a sliding fifth wheel that goes back, as well. Even then, they might need to have the mud flap hangers that come all the way off. If he had one of those with the fixed flaps, they can hook on the landing gear when he turns. Either that or get somebody with a two axel tractor (single rear). That will get it for sure. Its not that the pin setting is so far back on your trailer (probably its 36"), but that the landing gear on those older trailers are set pretty far foreward. Especially on the shorter trailers. When they were parked loaded & had to be unloaded from the rear (like at a dock), they could get nose heavy as they were unloaded, and would overbalance & tip on its nose.

Lee in Alaska

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think you will have trouble hooking it with the military tractors, They were bobed off pretty close and also the frames were tapered off nice. That is not often the case with the highway transports. If the frame isn't tapered off & the trailer has a goose neck in the frame, there can be interference. Any bobtailed tractor (single rear axle), should not have a problem. When you get it home & hook it, have somebody watch the clearance, while you jack knife it. Also keep in mind, if you are on uneven ground, you will need more clearance. Its a mess, if you ever get into one of those spots, jack knifed, with the frames/landing gear hooked & binding. Speaking from experience!

Lee in Alaska

papercu

Van

The manual does make good reading. The M750 uses the M295A1 Chassis and has a standard 2 in. kingpin for use with fifth wheel of standard 5-ton or 2 1/2 ton, 6 x 6. Wayne

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday at the Fontana yard, We were poking around and they have one of those trailers with another genset mounted above the fifthwheel. I wanted the boarding ladder out of it, but no go. Asked tom when they got it and I gues it's been there for a few years! There is way too much stuff there!

gmayor

I have three of these trailers. The driver I assume didn't know the landing legs fold up, they will clear his mud flaps then. I would try Trailer Transit, Inc. They have picked up all three of mine. My .02.

Kwai

Thanks for the info guys. Just what I needed. No pics available right now. But I have a M275A2 just wanted to make sure it was feasible to tow it before I drove up to get it (750 miles round trip. Texas is just too dam big.) I will check on the foldup legs as well. I wasn't aware that they could fold up. I think mine was built in 76.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be fine with the 275. IIRC, yours is a turbo too. Getting up to 55 may take a mile or so but you can get it moved with the deuce.

beaubeau

Question on M750 trl/ Mwalker/ anybody?

:cookoo: I just got what I beleive an M750 trl?? It was at GL. in Indianna, and I was wondering what is in the 2 boxes over the Goose Neck? I am assuming possibly a Generator and or air compressor. I wonder what the weight over the gooseneck is with the extra Equip.I can't seem to find any datta. Phil aua

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Question on M750 trl/ Mwalker/ anybody?

If they are 2 tall skinny boxes, they are supposed to house aluminum panels to enclose the trailer when expanded. Post a pic and I'll confirm.

Armada

Wayne, Kenny, et al: What is the capacity of the built in fuel tank located between the front legs, (#35 from the manual)?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Hmmm, that I cannot answer. I've tried to look at mine several times but the shield/mount makes it pretty tough to see without removing it. I would venture to say 20 at least. I'll try to get a stick on it and figure that out.

beaubeau

Need specs for M750

aua OK, I got to get a 1971 MFG Stevens Co. mdl D57 M68 trl From Stout Fielt to Salisbury, N.H. and I want to do it with my 1 Ton Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab. I need Curb Wt wich is listed at only 8800, but I find that hard to beleive. It looks heavier than that. I got info from GL, and U know how accurate they are!?? I would like to nget Weight for Goose neck, or king pin. I can use a dolly converter if I need to, and I have the option of renting a tractor from Ryders. I just don't want to end up in DOT Chicken Coop!! :deadhorse: Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Phil

nhdiesel

I had looked up the "lot weight" for that sale, and it was around 16k. The weight won't be an issue as long as we get a brake system set up, my big concern will be hitch weight. With how far the axles are set back and the containers on it, I expect hitch weight to be fairly high. Even so, I doubt it will be too bad- with the airbags you have you could even handle half the trailer weight.

Here is a question for those with these trailers, how much do the forward boxes weigh when empty? I don't need exact numbers, but I'm curious how rugged they are, and if we can get this balanced a bit better by emptying them and putting everything at the very rear of the trailer. If there is 500 lbs. of aluminum in those boxes, it would be worth taking a little time to reposition it.

I also want to know where we could get info for setting up air brake control on the Chevy to deal with the trailer brakes.

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks