• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2011 Mep 803 wiring for house

fpchief

Right or wrong I purchased a 36' 6AWG 50 amp RV extension cord and cut it up to wire everything.
The sheath is embossed "For Recreational Vehicle Use 50 Amperes C(ETL)US 3126867 TYPE STW 600V FT-2 3/C 6AWG + 1/C 8AWG 60C"
US Wire and Cable says STW is Extra hard service cord. Thermoplastic constructed jacket. 600 volt, weather resistant for outdoor use.
Did you leave the existing plug on it?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

csheath

Did you leave the existing plug on it?

I left the original male plug on a short piece I connected to my load bank. I used a piece without connectors to wire the breaker to the panel on the back of the house. Then I used repair connectors to make a cable to hook the generator to the house.

csheath

So is this pretty much what will fix it besides the ground rod, bonding strap, and power cable?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-50-Amp-Temporary-RV-Power-Outlet-U054P/100193650
That is what I used on the side of my generator.
IMG_1373.JPG

The link supplied by DieselAddict would be a proper house side receptacle. I like the looks of this one better. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reliance-Controls-50-Amp-Non-Metallic-Power-Inlet-Box-PBN50/205337810. You would also need to address the breaker size and wiring from the breaker to the receptacle. I recommend you have an electrician do that for you.

The Conntek 1450SS2-15 15-Foot Temporary Power Cord or similar would connect the two together if it's long enough for where you set the unit.

Last edited:

fpchief

I am seeing a lot of 3 wire plugs. And someone posted with a pic of a three wire. If I went with a three wire plug, what line is being lost? I know it has to have two hot going to two different terminals, so is the neutral being lost? Forgive my ignorance.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

4 wires need to be connected to your house panel.

Bonding strap is to be disconnected on generator.

Wire of size, and circuit breaker of size.

Bmxenbrett

You cant use a 3 prong plug. You need both hot legs, a neutral and a ground. Its common to have a 4prong plug/outlet for an electric dryer. Im not sure what they offer in exterior 50a covers. Homedepot may not have what you are looking for so you may want to try a electrical supply house.

fpchief

Nice thread you have! I am with the family at disney so i was put on hold, but plan to be finished with it this weekend.

TheAlfredo

I've never seen so much confusion on "grounding". You should only be using 1 ground at a time. Your house is grounded at at the service entrance. Since you are using an interlock and and breaker as your transfer switch, you are only opening both hot legs. Your Neutral is always connected to your generator and the rest of the house. Therefore you have to use the ground in your cord connected to the house. You leave the bonding strap in place at the generator and DO NOT add a grounding rod.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never seen so much confusion on "grounding".

You leave the bonding strap in place at the generator and DO NOT add a grounding rod.
Per code if you are wired up with a 4-wire setup and the neutral is bonded in the main panel at the service entrance, you need to remove the bonding jumper at the generator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks