• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Deuce Questions- or a Deuce of a question!!

saddamsnightmare

:twisted:

Gentlemen and Ladies:

I have a deuced pair of questions regarding the M35A2, so please read on....

Question 1: For Texas Deuce owners: How likely is it that the truck inspection shop IS or ISN'T going to have a hemorrage tomorrow AM over my 1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 NOT HAVING A REAR LICENSE PLATE LIGHT?? There are pre-existing 1/2" dia holes the right spacing apart in the rear cross sill under the tailgate to mount a conventional plate with
5/16" bolts- BUT NO LIGHT. The truck has to undergo a DOT inspection due to its tare weight (13,030 lbs according to manual- truck must be scaled for light weight) and the fact that it will have a normal Texas non- commercial truck plate applied to it.

Quuestion 2: SEE FONTANA SCRAP RUN NO 4: If anyone's out by Fontana, I could use
four (4) of the 1/4"-28NF x 1/2" elongated or flat oval head screws used to attach the bracket arms to the Windshield Sash Units and the Cab window posts on the windshield as my Duece is missing these, and this screw type is just about unknown in Paris,Texas.

Question 3: How similar or dissimilar are the M105 and M332 1-1/2 Ton ammunition trailers to each other, and how useful might an M332 in good shape be with an M35A2 as part of a "Desert Storm" Deuce exhibit (Re: how likely or typical was this combination of vehicles in Desert Storm)?

Thanks for your insights and advice, and don't throw the hissy fit due to lack of phots- I'm still mastering the Digital Age regarding technology.

I remain, All,
Most Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan
Email: kyle_mcgrogan@hotmail.com

1963 Mercedes Benz Unimog S404.114 (Swiss)
1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Vietnam and Desert StormVeteran Truck.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
License Plate Light
Different states are different, & it depends on just how much they have to do, at the time of the inspection. But here, Authorities tend to be relieved that a truck like a Deuce has a license, in the first place, much less a light on it. Besides, in the summer, we don't even need lights.

All that aside, when you need a light on the plate, where do you put it, where its safe, and can keep it working? Probably up underneath, in back of the splash guard/mud flap.

To answer your question - I would have a light on it (even if its just hot-wired/jury rigged), to get by. Otherwise they can fail you & that means a big "run around".

- I always liked the 105.... They are common, bullet proof, lots of room. They make a nice tent camper for a trip!

Lee in Alaska

Blood_of_Tyrants

I agree with rosco. It isn't hard to get a bulb and socket and then wire it to the tail lights for your license plate light. You could even use two 12v lights wired in series and mount them a few inches apart above the license plate.

Kwai

To get by my inspection in houston, I bought a cheap light, fabbed up a tin bracket and wired it directly to 12v on the batteries. Passed inspection. You can remove the light and wiring when you are done.

Dipstick

Kyle,
I just added a rear plate and light to my rear mud guard. I used the Packard military connectors(I soldered the connections), Prestolite 14ga. wire, and a 24v light. I ordered all of these parts from Erik's Military Surplus. I connected the license plate light to the tail light circuit which is wire #21. You can make the connection right at the back of the driver's side rear composite light near the glad hand. I made the connection with a Packard Y connector. I wish it wasn't chrome, but I need to get my truck to inspection soon myself. Hope this helps.
Owen "Dipstick" McCaffreyDSCF0868.jpg

steelandcanvas

Nice wiring job Dipstick, that's the way to do it. Take that bracket assembly to a machine shop and have them put it in their blast cabinet, prime and paint to match. By the way, Kyle posted his question almost 5 years ago, and he doesn't even need to display a plate.

Last edited:

Dipstick

Nice wiring job Dipstick, that's the way to do it. Take that bracket assembly to a machine shop and have them put it in their blast cabinet, prime and paint to match. By the way, Kyle posted his question almost 5 years ago, and he doesn't even need to display a plate.

Thanks for the kind words steelandcanvas! I used to have full access to a sheet metal shop, welding shop, and a sandblast cabinet. Sadly, no more. I know one of the owners of a local body shop. He too owns a Deuce. I bet he has a sandblaster. Dipstick.

Woodsplinter

Dipstick,

I did exactly the same thing to my deuce a couple of months ago. Used the same parts from Erik's!

I just sanded the light bracket by hand, primed and painted it with rattle cans and it looks great- works great too!

Small world eh?

Dipstick

Woodsplinter, I'm going to sand and spray mine this spring. Thanks for your advice. I notice you own an AM General 1983 M35A2C. Mine is a 1984 AM General M35A2C with Whistler. The world is indeed getting even smaller! There is frost on my truck every morning and the outside temperature just gets to forty degrees on a good day. Sure wish I had some of that Arizona sun! Oh, and Erik is a great vendor.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Texan here. I believe the inspection shop will require the LP light unless they happen to overlook it. However, drive at night near a DPS officer without it and IT WILL be noticed. (This is unless you get the Former Military Vehicle plate which you indicated you were not)

Woodsplinter

Stick, now is the time of year we love living in Az. I've heard of frost but haven't seen it in a while. lol!

Rarely ever gets down to 40 here- gonna be 80 here today!

Dipstick

Splinter, I am way jealous of your weather. Just came back inside from diagnosing my non-working air horn. Looks like the solenoid is bad. It's only money. Hey, you guys can carry in AZ can't you? You can't get a carry permit in N.J. unless your name is Donald Trump.

Woodsplinter

Come on out in July- you won't be too thrilled about the weather here then. But it's only for about 4 months.

If you can legally buy a gun here, you can carry concealed without a permit. A permit used to be required but the law was recently changed.

Anybody can buy a gun here if they pass the federal background check. ( If you're breathing you'll probably pass.)

Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks