• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generational Change ,,,,, Won two MEP-803A Units Today ,,,, Upgrading

storeman

Won two low hour MEP-803A units today from GL Portsmouth, VA,,,, upgrading and time for a generational change ,,,,, They will replace the 002a and 003a shown in my avatar. Nothing wrong with either. Both are low hour and run like champions. One backs up the other, just in case. Both exhaust through flex out the back wall.

But we lost power for 8 hours about 10am a few days ago and ambient temp was up around 90 degrees. The shed I built about 5 years ago is pretty much a Faraday cage. Have lost power in cooler/cold weather several times since building the shed and had no problems with either genny overheating with doors open and a fan running inward. This time I ran the 003a had three 10 minute overheat shut offs with 4 fans running into the shed.

We had 5 family house guests at the time. The great discovery was that I could run 2 central air units and all utilities off the 003a without exceeding 60%. This is a big house. I must have pretty easily starting AC units (Carrier 10 years old). Gas heat and water and stove. All normal things on and water pump on. Of course no oven or clothes drier running, otherwise all normal.

I am NOT going to modify the shed... so am going to water cooled units. Will be downloading the manuals shortly. Hopefully these will be functional "out of the box", so to speak. If not, I'll be looking for advice if the manuals confound me. (Happens a lot lately.)

Will sell off the 002a in an ASK enclosure and the 003a once these are up and running. I've gotten involved in other interests the last couple of years but I'm back in a limited capacity. Its tough to be about 74 and have not enough time in your day. :D:D

Jerry

Last edited:

jamawieb

Great to have you back!!
The 803a's are easy to work on with minimal experience. I think you'll really like them over the 00a models.

jamawieb

Those are some nice units out of VA. One item that you might want to get before you get the units home is a roll of the fuel returns line. Since the units are low hour and been sitting a while, the fuel return lines crack and leak. There are a couple of threads about it. With real low hour units, it seems to always happen.

Guyfang

Staff member
Won two low hour MEP-803A units today from GL Portsmouth, VA,,,, upgrading and time for a generational change ,,,,, They will replace the 002a and 003a shown in my avatar. Nothing wrong with either. Both are low hour and run like champions. One backs up the other, just in case. Both exhaust through flex out the back wall.

But we lost power for 8 hours about 10am a few days ago and ambient temp was up around 90 degrees. The shed I built about 5 years ago is pretty much a Faraday cage. Have lost power in cooler/cold weather several times since building the shed and had no problems with either genny overheating with doors open and a fan running inward. This time I ran the 003a had three 10 minute overheat shut offs with 4 fans running into the shed.

We had 5 family house guests at the time. The great discovery was that I could run 2 central air units and all utilities off the 003a without exceeding 60%. This is a big house. I must have pretty easily starting AC units (Carrier 10 years old). Gas heat and water and stove. All normal things on and water pump on. Of course no oven or clothes drier running, otherwise all normal.

I am NOT going to modify the shed... so am going to water cooled units. Will be downloading the manuals shortly. Hopefully these will be functional "out of the box", so to speak. If not, I'll be looking for advice if the manuals confound me. (Happens a lot lately.)

Will sell off the 002a in an ASK enclosure and the 003a once these are up and running. I've gotten involved in other interests the last couple of years but I'm back in a limited capacity. Its tough to be about 74 and have not enough time in your day. :D:D

Jerry
Jerry,
I am only 63, and have the same "problem". What's worse, is that everyone else feels like "helping" me out. Everyone has some kind of a deal I can take care of, because I have so much time on my hands!

storeman

Those are some nice units out of VA. One item that you might want to get before you get the units home is a roll of the fuel returns line. Since the units are low hour and been sitting a while, the fuel return lines crack and leak. There are a couple of threads about it. With real low hour units, it seems to always happen.

Thanks Jimmy. Your torque wrench shipped today. I'll try to find the posts. Good to be back.
Jerry

storeman

Jerry,
I am only 63, and have the same "problem". What's worse, is that everyone else feels like "helping" me out. Everyone has some kind of a deal I can take care of, because I have so much time on my hands!
Exactly. My best friend is my Kubota 3130. No guff and always ready to help.

eatont9999

The 803 sets are easy to work on. The most annoying part I have found is that the panels are held on with numerous nuts and screws. Kind of a pain to open it up for repairs but I plan not to have to redo work once I finish with a set.

storeman

Good news guys! Fueled up and fired up both today. Started immediately and ran beautifully. Love them! Now to uninstall the two units in my shed and replace with these and sell the 002 with ASK and the 003. Can't believe the 003 still only has 80 hours on it.
They both have Peter's remote start system on them. I think I was his first SS customer. Not sure whether the remote start could work with the 803s and can't figure out how to contact Peter to determine.
Jerry :whistle:

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 803 sets are easy to work on. The most annoying part I have found is that the panels are held on with numerous nuts and screws. Kind of a pain to open it up for repairs but I plan not to have to redo work once I finish with a set.
Wait until you put it back together and have to be a contortionist while standing on head while bending arm/wrist in four different directions simultaneously to try and get nut started. But its best to do load test first so you can bake cookies for kids as bribe to reach up in tight spaces, (just don't tell them where you baked cookies at, don't want to share all the time)

storeman

BTW: I have 3 ten foot flex stainless exhaust pipes on my current units. They came from the laundry unit I bought about 5 years ago. It had only one MEP 003 on it (which is the one I kept) but it had 4 flex pipes. Sold one to a member. Glad I'll only need 2 for the 803s. They are same size as the exhaust outlet and thread directly on.
Jerry

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If the new units are in the same small area, your still going to have cooling issues. Imho.

You can only cool so much with X ammount of air space.

I hope it works the way you plan, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

jamawieb

Good news guys! Fueled up and fired up both today. Started immediately and ran beautifully. Love them! Now to uninstall the two units in my shed and replace with these and sell the 002 with ASK and the 003. Can't believe the 003 still only has 80 hours on it.
They both have Peter's remote start system on them. I think I was his first SS customer. Not sure whether the remote start could work with the 803s and can't figure out how to contact Peter to determine.
The remote starts are different for the 803a. I've installed several on 003a's and 803a's, the boards and components are different. Peters number is 913-728-2662 if you still need it.

storeman

If the new units are in the same small area, your still going to have cooling issues. Imho. You can only cool so much with X ammount of air space. I hope it works the way you plan, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
I expect so Chris. I'll need to add louvers to the shed and provide fans from the convenience outlet for hot weather operation. One is a backup to the other so both will never operate simultaneously. Jerry

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Jerry,

These board will work in either unit 002A/003A or 802A/803A as you had the original boards with the extra Diode across from Start Terminal to Oil Pressure Terminal - the Diode is no longer needed for the 802A/803A setup - contact me through pm for 802A/803A installation manual.

Sorry for very delayed response, but I have been very busy with other projects besides genset's

Peter

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks