• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What happened to all the auctions?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
T It looks like you can get a universal size spanner wrench for $73 . It will pay for itself after rebuilding 1 cylinder compared to labor costs at a hydraulic shop.
That may be true for a SEE, but to get the pistons off on an HMMH's cylinders, the hydraulic shop had to build a tool. After over 30 years in the business they had never seen cylinders quite like them.
The weird part is that while being from different manufacturers, both the forklift and crane had those odd cylinders.

alpine44

Even if there are hundreds of SEEs sitting in the woods somewhere (that I cannot find on recent sat images), the question is whether and when they will be put on auction. Don't we have anyone at GP/Richie who can shed light on this?

peakbagger

The only "special tool" you need to rebuild the cylinders are the spanner wrenchs to get the end of the cylinder out. They are available at your local case dealer and not all that expensive . I don't know how many sizes there are on the SEE but my 580 SK only has 2 or 3 different sizes .

edit : It looks like you can get a universal size spanner wrench for $73 . It will pay for itself after rebuilding 1 cylinder compared to labor costs at a hydraulic shop.
http://www.epsstore.com/index.php/cas1456.html
This company http://www.foxkits.com/has the universal tool and the seals for a SEE. My observation is that not many folks have the equipment to manhandle the cylinder onto a bench and come up with something to hold the cylinder from turning while the end piece is rotated. Other members who have done it claim that whoever assembled them originally really torqued them in or used some sort of thread sealant.

PHasty

GovPlanet Rep
Even if there are hundreds of SEEs sitting in the woods somewhere (that I cannot find on recent sat images), the question is whether and when they will be put on auction. Don't we have anyone at GP/Richie who can shed light on this?
Yes I can shed some light on it...I have no idea when/if we will be getting any specific piece of equipment. The DLA releases items to us on Delivery Orders and Pre-Delivery orders every week. Items that are released on a Pre-DO can be inspected and if needed moved, however we can not place them in auction until they come out on the official Delivery Order. Basically, every week when the Delivery Order comes out, anywhere from 10% to 80% of the previous Pre-DO is listed on it. I currently have items sitting on yards that we got on Pre-DO well over a year ago, but still have not come down on the official DO. My auction management team would love to have an idea of what exactly we are getting as far as inventory, which would help to actual provide some sort of structure to our auction instead of just throwing everything we have into an auction (which is why 1 week you will see 100 Trailers and the next week you see 10)...Bottom Line there is no way to say with any certainty when or what type/models of equipment we will receive from the DLA...

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Phillip, good to hear your voice again (even if it's only in writing).
For those who don't know, they work Phillip hard but he's still willing and able to help with whatever issues come up.

alpine44

Yes I can shed some light on it...I have no idea when/if we will be getting any specific piece of equipment. The DLA releases items to us on Delivery Orders and Pre-Delivery orders every week. Items that are released on a Pre-DO can be inspected and if needed moved, however we can not place them in auction until they come out on the official Delivery Order. Basically, every week when the Delivery Order comes out, anywhere from 10% to 80% of the previous Pre-DO is listed on it. I currently have items sitting on yards that we got on Pre-DO well over a year ago, but still have not come down on the official DO. My auction management team would love to have an idea of what exactly we are getting as far as inventory, which would help to actual provide some sort of structure to our auction instead of just throwing everything we have into an auction (which is why 1 week you will see 100 Trailers and the next week you see 10)...Bottom Line there is no way to say with any certainty when or what type/models of equipment we will receive from the DLA...
Thanks for the info, Phillip. I guess we need a "mole" inside of DLA, but most likely they don't even know what they are doing.

Meet Feast and Famine, they main characters of Surplus Auctions.

Last edited:
Might I add being a new owner of a Unimog 404, to learn more, I read the entire SS Unimog threads and the entire FLU thread. Took me about a week (evenings after work and family had gone to bed). Took a ton of notes, and learned A LOT!
There are many threads where info not in the topic starter resided 2 or 3 pages in. The search engine on this forum is good yet I think it still missed a few things, systematically reading everything was the best bet.
There's a lot of great info buried here that's not anywhere else. I would suggest going to the last page and read from the last post back to the most recent.
It will save you a ton of time later when you get your hands on one.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's what I did. Twice. And to retain more of the info, I'll probably reread the entire thing again soon.
Not sure how far I would've got with figuring these FLU beasts out had it not been for the SEE, HMMH and HME thread.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks