• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MRAP parts identification

Oklahomadeputy

My agency has a BAE Systems Caiman II MRAP, Cat C-9 with Meritor Defense Series 50 Axle Setup. Its a 6X6 with all independent axle with coil springs, and it has disc brakes all the way around. I'm looking for part numbers for the disc brake rotor, the pads and the brake Chamber. The digital copy I have of the parts manual covers only the MAXXPRO and the Previous MRAP Caiman with leaf springs and solid axle which used drum brakes. Can anyone help me with part numbers for these???

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First of all welcome to the website. Sounds like your Caiman has the usual unsolved dragging brake issue?

Oklahomadeputy

I know what causes it. The air system gets contaminated with water. Doesn't seem the dryer is adequate enough for the system. I have rebuilt the dryer and changed the filter and still have a high moisture issue. As long as I keep draining tanks and do a few pumps of brake system I don't have the issue. I'd just like to change the brake pads, rotor and chambers. I only have an issue with one caliper in particular.

I've tied back into air system with a ball valve to use the central inflation system. I will take some pictures of ours and get it posted. I'm the lead driver and I do majority of repairs on it as well.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it the right rear caliper? That seems to be where quite a few have the dragging problem. Appreciate the moisture diagnosis, that could very well be the issue. We noticed that the dragging would go away when the system air was drained, which is why I never suspected moisture.

Oklahomadeputy

Ours dragged on the rear tandems, passenger side front axle. Its all related to Moisture. I'm looking at installing another Dryer setup that I use on my Oilfield Equipment to help keep water out of the system. I also believe the dryer is installed to low on the Chassis.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please let us know if that fixes it. There are numerous agencies here in Texas that have deadlined Caimans due to this issue. I'll pass on the info.

Oklahomadeputy

It will fix it I know. The issue is keep moisture out of system. I drain tanks every chance I get while operating. I may even install a remote drain. But I need to get new pads, rotor and a chamber to insure I have clean parts. I don't believe in running parts that have shown an issue. All else fails and I cant get part #'s, I will just reverse engineer it. I have tons of documents on these things but no parts document on the CAT II Caiman by BAE system. I have the Maxxpro, and the cougars but not Caiman CAT II with the C-9

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Consensus seems to be that a ETM on the Caiman II was never released by BAE prior to the Sealy plant closure. Everything went in the trash. The Meritor axles are not supported either. Great looking rig!

Oklahomadeputy

Well I will try my contact with BAE then. He had all sorts of info when we picked it up. Meritor seems to think this stuff is secret. But I have a hard time seeing it as secret when its a brake product and I have it in my possession. I can reverse engineer it. I don't understand why they would want to keep a brake product info away from us, its a safety issue and safety of the motoring public who share road with these trucks when we operate them.

Oklahomadeputy

From what I'm seeing the brakes on the Caiman are the Meritor EX225 disc setup. Meritor uses these on road and off road applications. The above post by me is a National Highway safety bulletin. Picks in the bulletin show the same issue, I will be doing some more research on it to verify, but the timeframe noted in bulletin goes along with the timeframe BAE did the upfit with the new chassis and powertrain using the Cat C-9 Engine. It states on Meritor Defense website that the Pro-tec series 50 Axle setup uses Meritor Wabco disc brakes standard and that goes along with the EX 225 setup. I will share after I get my final determination.

Oklahomadeputy

WIN_20170716_163412.jpgWIN_20170716_163424.jpgThis is some more pictures of ours. I think I'm on the right track about brakes but the brake chamber on axle I'm having issue with is different. I think I seen a post with a part number somewhere else, so I'm gonna find that and look that up. Then I think I will try Meritor again with numbers I pulled off axle to see if they can help me any further with a rotor and pad part #. But I did speak with Motor Pool guys at Local Armory and they say the moisture is the problem. They have found same issue on others. Replace brake chambers and pads and any messed up rotors and keep system dry. They did like my idea of installing a remote drain setup and another dryer system since there is so much heat in the area where factory drier is.

country

Supporting Vendor

Oklahomadeputy

I spoke to someone at your place on phone the other day. I did get the model # and serial # off the axle housing. Took some #s off caliper also. I will be sending you all the copies of documentation and parts and repair along with maintenance procedures I have. There is also some class stuff and powerpoints in there. I told whomever I talked to that I'm happy to share. I know a lot about this machine from all the work I did to this one.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The damage shown in the technical bulletin you provided is exactly what I have seen on 3 other Caiman IIs. The rotor shows heat discoloration and has galled residue from the pads all over it.

Oklahomadeputy

Thanks to a great guy at Meritor I was able to get part#'s for everything finally. I couldn't get a direct answer but he did say I was on right track on the NHTSA warning.
The part #'s are Rotor 23123770002, Pads KIT2252L2DA, Chamber D303276X24 & D293276X24 (depends on side), Seal A1205V2830 and if ya need a new hub 0516153001.
These are available parts that the local meritor dealer can place an order for and ship to you. And yes this will fix the sticky brake situation as pointed out by NHTSA Bulletin. But I still recommend keeping drier serviced and fresh rebuild as these trucks were sitting after BAE did retrofit refurb. I still will be adding another drier like I use on the Kenworth and Peterbuilt trucks.

I do hope this helps everyone and feel free to hit me up if you need any further help with your Caiman.

Oklahomadeputy

Well here's another update. Caliper part #'s left EX225L209DA000 , right EX225L210DA000

Also you have to test the hold off pressure on the supply side. I'm working on getting the required pressure on the chamber. It's noted that BAE had a problem and Meritor was working with them on fixing it but the govt stopped the MRAP program and the plant closed. The problem was showing to possibly be a relay valve and the Bendix R-7 valve might be the fix, but I will update as I proceed forward on the truck. In the meantime you must operate truck only with full air pressure on system.

there may be some problems with chambers that goes with the NHTSA bulletin but unfortunately since it's not an on highway truck we aren't covered under recall. We all must purchase our parts and fix the units ourselves. But the new parts fix the gremlins and you should not see it in the future. I recommend replacing all ten brake chambers on ten rear, I know it's a high cost but to insure that another doesn't fail and burn up the caliper and brakes.

I do do hope all of you find this useful and a big thank you to the guys that finally were able to help me at Meritor. These guys understood it's not secret what I'm needing, that this is an offroad assembly they sell to other manufactures.

The Technical guys at Meritor are going to email me their information and help me through this process so we all can fix the issue.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks