• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Oil to UAZ469 engine?

D Foster

Hello, I have been having a problem with my UAZ469 4 cylinder overhead valve engine not getting any oil to the rocket arms. I had just installed a new Fram oil filter and have been told there are two types of oil filters. One is a "Full Flow" and the other "By Pass flow". Does anyone know what type of oil system a UAZ-469 has? I am thinking now I may have installed the incorrect filter and its causing my engine to have very low oil pressure at the rockers. My oil gauge is showing normal. Any help would be appreciated.

D Foster

The only manual I have is in Russian and I do read/speak Russian. It can be either a Full flow engine or a By Pass restrict flow engine. I never knew it but there are different type filters. The early American Jeeps for example had restrict flow engines I've been told. I really don't want to risk the engine and study different filters.

USSR

Hello, I have been having a problem with my UAZ469 4 cylinder overhead valve engine not getting any oil to the rocket arms. I had just installed a new Fram oil filter and have been told there are two types of oil filters. One is a "Full Flow" and the other "By Pass flow". Does anyone know what type of oil system a UAZ-469 has? I am thinking now I may have installed the incorrect filter and its causing my engine to have very low oil pressure at the rockers. My oil gauge is showing normal. Any help would be appreciated.
What is your engine (it should be labeled, for example -УМЗ-4218)?

D Foster

Thanks for asking about the number of the engine. Mine looks to be either YM3 or Y113, that's all on that line. I have a vertical line one the same side of K21 3 with 10020 below it vertically. Thanks, Dennis

D Foster

IMG_2600.jpgIMG_2601.jpg I checked the UAZ manual and the engine number I have appear to be 100S770 YAEAHOB CCCP. Below this and vertical appear to be: Y113 K213 10020 all on different lines. Mu GAZ69AM is a 1955 and have a replaced engine which I thought was a UAZ with the overhead valves. I have a spin on oil filter and had replaced with a fram and thought maybe I have the incorrect filter as I have good oil pressure at the guage but not getting any oil to my Rockers?

Tascabe

I am not sure that is a UAZ replacement engine - there are a lot of variations on that same theme though.

Usually the UAZ engines are marked in the upper left and start with 414, 417 or 451

12424715035_2c0fafca42_k.jpg12424941004_82ac295f40_z.jpg

Edit:

Though yours is marked UMZ - so it was produced at the Ulyanovsk motor plant.

So it appears you have a UMZ 421 possibly - which is a UAZ engine - just have not dealt with them before.

They are a much newer version than I have... http://wikimotors.ru/umz-421/

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Умз+421

Search for Умз 421 - and use google translate - lots of info out there - maybe you can find the answer you need.

Last edited:

D Foster

FINAL UPDATE: After checking a number of areas on why I was NOT getting any oil up to my rocker arms on my UAZ469 engine (overhead valve replacement engine) on my 1955 GAZ69AM I finally found out the trouble! To recap I had good oil pressure from my gauge. The oil channel from my head down to the rear cam bearing was clear. I decided to take the cam out to check further. Ran a pressure oil tank into the engine with oil pan off and found oil pumping out of all cam bearings except again the last one that supplies the upper rocker area and push rods. Tried checking the last bearing again but little room for my hand and could not locate the problem. Decided to take the engine out. I noticed in the back of the engine block a large freeze out plug adjacent to the cam bearing oil supply area. After taking the freeze out plug out I found my problem! The oil supply hole was totally block with solid oil grime. I also found at the rear of the engine block a small oil chamber plug. After all the work the fix was easy. Pushed out the oil blockage and blew all waste of of the oil chamber plug. I was lucky enough not to have any damage to my cam but my rear smallest bearing wasn't too good. I plan on replacing all the cam bearings. One other positive thing is that my clutch was not very good so I will now replace the clutch parts. Thanks again for everyone that help with their suggestions, I appreciated it. Hope to get my GAZ back on the road soon! Dennis Foster

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks