• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Houston....we have problems....the M135 came home.........

gentrysgarage

Well Guyz and occasional Gal we have a problem a BIG, BIG, BIG problem.
As most of you realize I had bought this M135 in November of last year and had 4 transport companies flake on me (one took me for a deposit even!) Well I found one that didn't and the truck got home to me.
View attachment 691529View attachment 691530
It was an instant hit with my sons!

After unloading
View attachment 691531View attachment 691532
Even the wife chimed in and even still liked it after the Dodge Cummins was to light in the rear to drag it up the hill.
IMG_2819.jpgIMG_2820.jpg

gentrysgarage

Had to call a tow truck for last 20 feet...:sad:
But the wrecking crew was happy
View attachment 691546
Well here is the problem they LOVE the truck...so much the truck has stopped being a parts truck for the 1943 Army COE 4x4 to being the one restored and the COE is put on the back burner!

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a problem.
I found they roll fairly east in a straight line. When you turn just a little the 2 rear axles bind. Disconnect one driveshaft and it moves much easier. I pull the rear shaft out and chain up the rear axle to the frame. Getting tat weight off helps reduce the bind as well. If you get it running and driving under it's own power it turns unbelievably well and doesn't tear up the grass so bad..
Glad you finally got it.
Dan

gentrysgarage

I will still have to single it out (parking laws here) don't know what to do about the 12 foot bed (anything over 9 foot is automatically commercial and can't be parked overnight..and even can't be in residential driveways (if they can and do stretch the law to their benefit). I am also going to need more than a few parts.......

1944mb

I'm sensing an issue>>buy an army truck, everyone decides they like it, parking issues etc.>>only one solution...you have to change zip codes!!! Congrats on getting it home. Seems like you've had a tough go of it--getting it home that is!

gentrysgarage

I'm sensing an issue>>buy an army truck, everyone decides they like it, parking issues etc.>>only one solution...you have to change zip codes!!! Congrats on getting it home. Seems like you've had a tough go of it--getting it home that is!
I'd love to..I don't understand the mentality of my area of Los Angeles and its anti-military bend. It is sad. I have a FEW years to go till retirement though.
I have decided to do the same as I was with the other truck and have troop seats in the back then it gets classified as a bus and the laws are relaxed alittle...only alittle so still have to lose one axle. Another reason is I have only 2 sets of the last available in America it seems of 5.38 ratio.

1944mb

I worked and went to HVAC school in san diego, so I understand the restrictions of CA--can't say I miss an ounce of that. The restrictions just don't make it worthwhile to live there, haha speaking for me of course. San Diego was decided-ly very military when I lived there; between the different Naval and Marine Corps installations, the place would be in tough shape without such a strong presence. Glad to see you got the green machine home. Keep us posted with your progress!!

gentrysgarage

That is a problem.
I found they roll fairly east in a straight line. When you turn just a little the 2 rear axles bind. Disconnect one driveshaft and it moves much easier. I pull the rear shaft out and chain up the rear axle to the frame. Getting tat weight off helps reduce the bind as well. If you get it running and driving under it's own power it turns unbelievably well and doesn't tear up the grass so bad..
Glad you finally got it.
Dan
Hi Dan, one shaft was disconnected carnage photo to be posted soon. It didn't help, I would have tried getting the axle up and tires removed if I had known...that probably would have made a huge difference! Thanks!
I wish I had the half track here for the unloading...
I think I am going to start 2 threads one here for the stock questions and another on the Deuce Mod forum for the modifications.
Missing In Action so far is parts of the transfer case...
View attachment 691559
The gear itself I think is ni the front floorboard, but no parking brake or housing.
Kevin has a title for it but don't see the data plates..hopefully he removed them. I have found on the frame horn beside winch cavity are the hood number stamped in...is this the vin number? If not where can I find it. this truck was brush painted many times (It helped alot with preserving the metal actually!) so I would like a pointer as to were to scrap...around the front shock mount?
Missing passenger seat, all d rings
It does have a rear facing PTO, under hood looks fairly complete...will be saving the wonderful 302 for a later project...maybe my poor COE,
Last question..looking for suggestions on the most minumally evasive (and ultimate revesable ways of singling out the rear...any ideas?
Thanks Guyz!
Thad

Last edited:

USMC 00-08

I'm not sure how you can single the truck out without getting very invasive or have it be reversible. Man those rules in California are stupid. Do you have a friend outside city limits where you could park the truck so you don't have to chop it?

Please do post more pictures when you get a chance. Is the marking on the front bumper CO-NG...Colorado National Guard?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 family project truck

had 4 transport companies flake on me (one took me for a deposit even!)

Congratulations on the NEW Date of Delivery...It's a 23 / 7 / 17 Deuce now?

Let's do business first.....did you get your deposit back? If not, I'd like to not use those guys so let me know who they are.

I've pulled deuces with a pick-up on soft-ground so she should roll gracefully. Real curious why she's not rolling so let us know what you find.

Did you find the serial number? .....Behind the front passenger wheel....on the frame.....east of the shock mount....west of the bumper? I was given a few brand new, unstamped U.S. data-plates and I'll dig one out for you.

We found bobbed photos from page 19 of the pic thread while looking for a better picture of a rear end......but don't try to do a google search for "Rear End" or you'll get funny looks from the family. I don't have the jam or skill-set to bob a deuce so really looking forward to your progress so I can watch. We were looking at insuring and registering our bus for passengers and it was very expensive. A guy would need to run the bus daily and charge a fare to pay for the liability of hauling folks around. I hope things go different for you but either way, let us know what works.

g749bob.jpgg749bobspring.jpg

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?58040-The-unofficial-g749-picture-thread/page19

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To shorten the bed put a bed off an M105 trailer on it after going to one axle? That looks like M1010plowboy used in his pictures.

gentrysgarage

I'm not sure how you can single the truck out without getting very invasive or have it be reversible. Man those rules in California are stupid. Do you have a friend outside city limits where you could park the truck so you don't have to chop it?

Please do post more pictures when you get a chance. Is the marking on the front bumper CO-NG...Colorado National Guard?
I wasn't really wanting to chop the frame, I wrestled with it for awhile actually...and after realizing that one of the primary factors for getting this now quote unquote "parts" truck was because of the frame I am against it. I am on the lookout for a M35 bed that still has the troop seats and leaving them folded out and calling it a bus ...still going to remove the rear axle though...the third axle is clearly spelled out in parking laws...that like all this crap started in California will slowly make it to your area. Real estate here is expensive and even "friends" charge rent...plus if it is far away I can't sneak out of working on the Torino and work on it!
Yes it did a stint in the CO National Guard.

Congratulations on the NEW Date of Delivery...It's a 23 / 7 / 17 Deuce now?

Let's do business first.....did you get your deposit back? If not, I'd like to not use those guys so let me know who they are.

I've pulled deuces with a pick-up on soft-ground so she should roll gracefully. Real curious why she's not rolling so let us know what you find.

Did you find the serial number? .....Behind the front passenger wheel....on the frame.....east of the shock mount....west of the bumper? I was given a few brand new, unstamped U.S. data-plates and I'll dig one out for you.

We found bobbed photos from page 19 of the pic thread while looking for a better picture of a rear end......but don't try to do a google search for "Rear End" or you'll get funny looks from the family. I don't have the jam or skill-set to bob a deuce so really looking forward to your progress so I can watch. We were looking at insuring and registering our bus for passengers and it was very expensive. A guy would need to run the bus daily and charge a fare to pay for the liability of hauling folks around. I hope things go different for you but either way, let us know what works.

View attachment 691646View attachment 691647

No, and it was Allegiant and I think the guy was fired, but no refund...for myriad reasons on their part.
The main culprit was the 2 flats and tire size, with on 20x11 in front of one of the flats putting more downwar, stopping pressure against one of the flats.
I was going to wait till today to change out the rims and tires but when I woke up yesterday and found ol' 8 ball express
IMG_2826.jpg(side note what is this I am pointing to a convoy flag stantion(sp)?)
trying to creep out and down the street....:eek:
IMG_2837.jpg
The timetable was moved up, here is a comparison of m135 rim and 9.00 NDT and late deuce rim and G177 with the proper M135 brake hubs!
IMG_2838.jpgIMG_2839.jpgIMG_2840.jpg
finished at 10pm and I was able to rock it and move it back up the slight (10% or so) grade by myself! And this morning it looked like this!
IMG_2846.jpgIMG_2847.jpgIMG_2848.jpg
And it didn't move!
So much to say..more to come!

1944mb

Nice pics! Looks like a real nice truck. Does it turn over or is it seized? What part of la do you live? I moved my sister once to Hollywood in dads f250-they didn't believe in wide streets back then...must've been laid out when people were getting around on horseback. So is it final---is she a keeper!?

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 691716(side note what is this I am pointing to a convoy flag stantion(sp)?)

View attachment 691725
That is the front leg mounting clamp for probably an M49 Gun ring. I don't know about the M135, but on the M35's, it was pretty standard. I can see the u-bolts (two each side), that would hold the two rear legs, still hanging on the back of your truck's cab.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?146878-Valence-s-M66-Gun-Ring

On my truck (note, mine is a newer style M66 gun ring):

2016-06-25 19.55.51 HDR-2.jpg 2016-06-25 22.24.42.jpg 2016-06-25 22.24.23.jpg

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gun Ring

You've got yourself some mounts for a gun ring. The two sets of reinforced D rings on the back of the cab and the piece you're pointing at can make your truck look like this.

1952-gmc-m211-military-truck-gunring.jpg

gentrysgarage

Nice pics! Looks like a real nice truck. Does it turn over or is it seized? What part of la do you live? I moved my sister once to Hollywood in dads f250-they didn't believe in wide streets back then...must've been laid out when people were getting around on horseback. So is it final---is she a keeper!?
Haven't gotten a chance to check the motor...will have to sneak it in! I live just south of Glendale and just east of Pasadena. Same type of street as you see in Hollywood same time frame early 20's they were laid out with the idea of an occasional single model T going down the road! Yes keeper..all the parts I got for the 1943 are going into this one. Like Big Daddy Roth "I build a pile of parts...and once it gets yeah high I start building till there are no parts and the cycle begins again!" <paraphrased>

gentrysgarage

That is the front leg mounting clamp for probably an M49 Gun ring. I don't know about the M135, but on the M35's, it was pretty standard. I can see the u-bolts (two each side), that would hold the two rear legs, still hanging on the back of your truck's cab.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?146878-Valence-s-M66-Gun-Ring

On my truck (note, mine is a newer style M66 gun ring):

View attachment 691734 View attachment 691731 View attachment 691732
View attachment 691733
Thanks Guys, That's Cool guys! Hope the kids don't see that...probably have to get it right away! LOL!!!

gentrysgarage

Yes Thanks, it is M135 6689
IMG_2842.jpg
I am hoping he has the data plate with the title...if not yes Thanks I would love to get the Data plate from you!
More questions I planed to add a conventional hitch in the future anyway and the welder for the CO forestry service was VERY good, any suggestions on adapting this:
IMG_2834.jpg
and a convectional ball hitch...weight I am looking at is heavy (sub Deuce siz) truck at the most. Otherwise it the pintle!

gentrysgarage

Needed parts!

Here is the rundown on parts needed at this point:
First (high) priority:

The Parking brake mount and parking brake on the back of the transfer case.

then everything is low, low priority :
Passenger seat assembly
Adapter for the addition of a front winch to the PTO I have...actually found one, we are just not agreeing on price
winch (the WW2 Garwood was hard to find so it stays with the COE project and the later one is more squarish...can I use an M35 one?)
Steering wheel
Drivers seat spring
Canvas top for a pattern
D rings..(what size are they?)

More to be added as I get into it.:sad:

Oh yeah I guess a gun ring eventually! LOL!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks