• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 715 motor swap

Farm truckn

M 715 bell housing

Was wondering why I have to use the spacer ring in the bell housing with the Novak adapters, because the way the adapter mounts nothing fits in the bore of the bell housing to make a difference

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the forum. Are you using a Novak adapter to mount the T98 to a Chevy bellhousing? I would call 'em up, they are very helpful about their products.

Farm truckn

I need a little help. I am attempting to install a small block Chevy in place of the 230, I will be changing nothing but the motor, I purchased the trans. adapter and it looks like it will work fine but the motor mount kit from Novak has a small piece of channel in the kit that the instructions say has to be welded to the frame and all the instructions talk about is motor trans. swap. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance from TN.

gerrykan

Register over on M715zone.com if you have not already done so, lots of small block Chevy swaps have been done over the years.

Farm truckn

Novak told me that the only mounts they carry any more is the weld in type. I am not going to cut the old ram horn mounts out to weld in the Novak mounts. I will have to figure something else out, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M715 Zone takes a couple of days (or so) for them to "approve" you. Once they do, you'll be able to post.
It's home run, so be patient. ;)

Cheers

Farm truckn

Small block to T-98 Need help

Putting the SBC 350 to T-98 and it will not go the last 1/2 inch. I have the Novak adapter the right pilot bushing and I cut 1 in. off the throw out bearing carrier on the T-98. Am I overlooking something? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Barrman

My first thought is pilot bearing aligned?

my second thought is if this is with the parts in the truck. Did you beat the firewall back some on the passenger side?

Jericho

Is that a Small block chevy with a 3 speed ex mil jeep t 98 ? Novak is very good , it wont be an adapter problem , Measure your "STACK " of drive line components carefully , make sure you have the correct Internal Diameter spud shaft adapter (tranny snout) something isn't right. T- 98 wont last long behind a 350 if you get into the throttle, T18 is the better bet, plenty available , Jeep full size J 10 trucks and cherokees ran them as well as Chevy trucks <(novak used to sell brand new ones )

zak

trans shaft is 1/2 inch too long where it:wink: fits into pilot bushing. Had the same problem putting the t-98 behind a 215 olds v8.

Farm truckn

The motor came out of a 79 Chevy with granny low four speed and the input shaft where the pilot bushing rides is 1 inch on the Chevy trans. and 1 1/2 inch on the T98 so I think your right Larry, I think I have to cut the input shaft a 1/2 in. shorter.

zak

I did this swap in the early 70's. After fighting it for2 days we measured and remeasured and found 1/2 inch needed to be taken off the end of the shaft where it entered the pilot bushing. And it was a Advanced Adapter. I still have it although the body has melted away( 59 cj5). All though it was a t-90 , I'm sure you have the same issue.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks