• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought a 1998 lmtv

Deftonez

Hello everyone first time posting and newbie to the site. A couple weeks ago I won an auction for a 1998 m1078 up at fort Hood Texas and I am currently driving it from fort Hood to Sacramento, CA. Currently having 2 issues:
1. Truck is running kind of hot today it has been spiking to 230 then very slowly going back down.
2. Main problem is the truck doesn't seem to be charging. Currently it is at 22 volts and last night when i was driving and pulled into the hotel I couldn't start the truck unless I did the starter relay trick. Also when we mess with the exciter relay by pressing the contact it drops by 1/2 a voltage same if we pull the relay out. There is also 22 volts on 4/5 contacts except the bottom leg.

So my question is, is it the voltage regulator, or the generator, or some other people I haven't read about? We are currently in New Mexico making our way to Phoenix hopefully to stop for the night by midnight.

Rmtaunton

Hopefully Andy will see this he is a guru on these things and good luck and have fun on your adventure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the relay make sure it's the correct one.
Pull it out and see if it has five or 4 blade contacts and correct voltage relay

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Excite wires go bad. Remove both regulator wires tape both off. Run new wire from fuel solenoid positive to front regulator terminal only. Do not connect anything to back regulator terminal.

DigDirt

Excite wires go bad. Remove both regulator wires tape both off. Run new wire from fuel solenoid positive to front regulator terminal only. Do not connect anything to back regulator terminal.
What gauge wire do you recommend when rerouting excitation wire from fuel solenoid to regulator?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have never seen a truck with the fuse links at the alternator. You would be able to verify outputs at the two alt terminals with a multimeter and then go from there. Without 24v at the regulator excite terminal the alt will just spin but not make power.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I remember my gage was reading around 230* and cycling. Checked system with IR gun and gage was wrong and truck runs great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks