• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Junk Yard Save

Viper350

Rescued this from the junk yard yesterday afternoon. Seems to all be there but has been setting outside for a while. Fuel tank completely filled with rusty water and a good amount of body rust. Hopefully this will be a good project for me and my two boys. I think they are more excited then I am. IMG_6532.jpgIMG_6535.jpgIMG_6487.jpg

hambone

Nice find on the M151A1, has it been cut?, those in-tank fuel pump are pricey and getting hard to find, you can bolt on a mechanical from an old dodge slant 6 in place of the vacuum pump on the lower right side of the block, if you want to invest in new panels, here you go.http://www.m151bodypanels.com/ Hambone

Viper350

It has not been cut but the motor will not turn by hand. I'm hoping that I can free it up and not have to rebuild the bottom end. Under the valve cover looks new and the cylinders are very clean looking with a scope. Any ideas on where to find a complete wiring harness? All the ends are broken on this one.

hambone

As far as I know, there are no A1 harnesses available other than Vintage Wiring at about $700, you can convert an A2 harness at about $140.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, it's not often you find a relatively complete jeep - ANY jeep! - in a junkyard, much less a M151. Great save, keep us posted!

hambone

pull the plugs and pour about 2 tablespoons of Marvel Mystery Oil or PB Blaster in each cylinder, let it soak for a few days, you can also use a 50/50 mixture of ATF and kerosene, if the block wasn't full of water and the oil was good, it's probably stuck in the top end.

Viper350

I sprayed some aero-kroil into the cylinders and going to let it set a few days. There was even some clean oil in the top of the head. The oil in the pan was nice and clean as well.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
pull the plugs and pour about 2 tablespoons of Marvel Mystery Oil or PB Blaster in each cylinder, let it soak for a few days, you can also use a 50/50 mixture of ATF and kerosene, if the block wasn't full of water and the oil was good, it's probably stuck in the top end.
The witch's brew described above (ATF & Kerosene) works. Put several ounces in each cylinder and wait a day or two. Do not put the plugs in. Work the engine back and forth slowly w/ a breaker bar. Once it frees up, use a ratchet bar to turn it over in the direction of normal run. Watch the valve train and make sure all rockers/valves are working and returning to full seated (closed) position. Clear the cylinders of the witches brew. (small siphon vacuum) change oil, fresh plugs, check coolant, fresh batteries, fire in the hole, - I bet it starts. Then start ordering replacement panels.
Great save.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks