• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unicor NF2D Light Tower/Genset

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No issues at all.
They have been flawless.

The MH bulbs were the ones designed for and originally installed in the unit.
This is according to original Specs/documentation I’ve found online.
I think I’ve posted a picture of it also.

Not sure why the receiving units later changed over to sodium bulbs.
Chearper, easier supply access??

Still waiting on my FOIA request for the TO for the unit.

PJL

Thanks for the info, I have read up on ballasts and lamps. The consensus seems to be that a high pressure sodium ballast will start MH lamps but the opposite configuration won't.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both type bulbs started just fine.

About equal amount of time from ignition start to full light for each.

PJL

IMG_1293.jpgIMG_1296.jpg

Bulbs were a bit shorter and won't reach the clips on the right side. Hopefully that won't be an issue. Easy to swap out and they lit right up. I ran them for awhile to make sure there were no issues. Bulbs were labelled MVR1000 and R1000. No TO's though. I looked in the document pockets.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remove the bulb end support clips and move them over the appropriate distance.
The backing place is fairly thin so the screws start easily.
Just don’t use a long screw even though the space behind is clear of wires directly behind that location.

That way you don’t have to worry about breaking a socket.

6CD3F1C8-069D-4325-A447-ACD0D2ABA4F1.jpg

Edit:
Remembered that you will have to drill a small pilot hole.
Screws will not start on their own.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 748105View attachment 748106
Bulbs were a bit shorter and won't reach the clips on the right side. Hopefully that won't be an issue. Easy to swap out and they lit right up. I ran them for awhile to make sure there were no issues. Bulbs were labelled MVR1000 and R1000. No TO's though. I looked in the document pockets.
They are great!!
So much better than that orange light.

Those bulbs are rated for at least 15,000 hours of use I believe.
Should last a while.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BAE5FE02-2F2A-42F7-9218-10BD72B6669C.jpg5169376A-DC5E-420C-965D-70B0D8DAA191.jpg4889BCA5-DF52-41E8-8E6C-8BEA7B51A450.jpg

Had to do overnight repairs to my East border fence after neighbors cows decided grass was greener on my side.
The NF2D Light Tower came to rescue and provided more than enough light for the repair job.
Beats working by truck headlights any day.
Powerlines are for the oil wells in the area.
The ranch is fairly remote so it’s very dark without star or moon light at night.

The NF2D has been flawless and is an amazing addition to the ranch.
Not only having the Kohler generator for backup power, but the available light has been far more useful than I ever imagined.

Unit tows around ranch great and sips fuel.
Still start it up weekly to keep it happy.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Their scarce at auction.
I missed the auction that sold a few out of RRAD a few weeks ago.

The amount of light they throw out still amazes me.
Extremely happy with it.

Generatorjoe

newb here.. trying to get some info on one of these beauties.. i recently picked one of these up from a govplanet auction, i got it to run with 2 inline fuel filters, after making a positive battery cable, new oil and filters and coolant, it is missing the original fuel filter sytem, and i would like to possibly find the right, and original as can be one instead of buying one and making a bracket to fit it.

wondering if you can post a picture of the fuel filter system? I saw you have the parts manual, could you possible give me a link to it or post the part numbers?

these are very very cool setups.. im a bit of a generator junky, I have to many to mention and have been on smokstak since 2010, im a generator tech and diesel mechanic and grew up on a tobacco farm so this stuff is in my blood..

I drove to albany Georgia to get this one from the flordia keys.. was well worth it.. the folks at the Albany Georgia govplanet are awesome... they loaded it up for me and gave me a cold bottle of water too

thanks in advance

here is a video of her running [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af9u7MHRbbs

im trying not to run it much with the current fuel system.. so I have not really loaded it or ran it to much..
[/FONT]

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BFC7417A-FA51-4982-8BA3-D27CF8028F0D.jpgDD860327-49C8-4B85-BF25-33C119B85527.jpg

Welcome to Steel Soldiers
Here are two pictures of the fuel filters.
They have been changed since and all filters are Wix.

The manuals are in this thread and also in the TM section.
Available free for download.

Have you read this entire thread?
Long I know but informative.
All the information you asked about is in it.

Yes these are amazing units.
Extremely happy with mine.
Wish I had a few more.

Generatorjoe

thanks for the manuals and fuel filter help.. got all my filter housings and new fuel filters and did a little load test on it.. youtube vid.. [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRliRqno80Q

now ive got a small radiator leak, maybe a table spoon over a few days.. found a new one with the parts manual... some 650 bucks! going to have to recore it,.
[/FONT]

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea Kubota is proud of their parts.
I damaged the one on my tractor and the price of a new one was insane.
Luckily the local radiator shop fixed it up like new.

Glad yours is up and running

dreadstar42

I recently purchased a NF-2 and it needs a lot of love. My unit is basically an empty trailer which i intend to use for a mobile solar system. The guy who sold it to me had to haul it out and in doing so bent the hitch mechanism that connects to the tie rods, pivot and handle with primary towing lunette. I am hoping someone could tell me where to buy a replacement part vs trying to have it bent back into proper form. I would also appreciate any guidance on schematics for the trailer with part numbers.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never found the TO for this.
It’s restricted for some reason and my FOIA request went unanswered.

The manuals for the engine and generator are posted in the TM section but never found anything for the rest of the unit.

The tow bar and steering setup, wheels/tires, etc were used on several specialty trailers and carts.

You’ll just have to play detective to find the part numbers or find another unit for parts.

Post your needs in the parts wanted forum and hopefully something will turn up.

dreadstar42

I never found the TO for this.
It’s restricted for some reason and my FOIA request went unanswered.

The manuals for the engine and generator are posted in the TM section but never found anything for the rest of theunit.

The tow bar and steering setup, wheels/tires, etc were used on several specialty trailers and carts.

You’ll just have to play detective to find the part numbers or find another unit for parts.

Post your needs in the parts wanted forum and hopefully something will turn up.
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know the name for that part?

dreadstar42

I recently purchased a NF-2 and it needs a lot of love. My unit is basically an empty trailer which i intend to use for a mobile solar system. The guy who sold it to me had to haul it out and in doing so bent the hitch mechanism that connects to the tie rods, pivot and handle with primary towing lunette. I am hoping someone could tell me where to buy a replacement part vs trying to have it bent back into proper form. I would also appreciate any guidance on schematics for the trailer with part numbers.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks