• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winching the SEE

alpine44

Got the SEE stuck badly in clay yesterday with only 4WD but no Diff-locks and having had a winch would have saved me about an hour of propping the wheels up and filling the ruts with brick rubble. (BTW: In order to get the front wheels raised with the weak loader, the backhoe boom and dipper have to be extended backwards with the outriggers retracted. At that point, I did not want to use the hoe to pull myself out since it would have wrecked the driveway I had just graded).

Mounting any winch, electric or hydraulic, on the front of the SEE is a no-brainer but going forward is not always an option. Yesterday, forward would have been down a cliff. A rear winch would have been the ticket but there is no space in the rear where an externally mounted winch would not interfere with the use of the backhoe. (I have plans for a logging winch that attaches in lieu of the backhoe but that would not help when stuck with the backhoe mounted and the logging winch sitting in storage.)

However, there is plenty of space in the middle of the vehicle, especially after removing the platform with the Jerrycan holder. So, I am thinking to mount a winch there and run the cable out the bushing on the bottom of the rear frame cross-member. (I think that bushing is an alternate mounting point for the pintle hitch).

I plan to fabricate a swiveling pulley that can rotate in the bushing to deal with angles in the pulling direction. Another pulley on the inside of the cross-member would direct the cable between the pipes of the rear sub-frame and get it above the hand brake mechanism. Some hydraulic hoses may have to be re-routed but there seems to be a relatively straight shot the the area behind the cab. There also seems to be enough distance and sideways space for the cable to wind decently on the winch drum. A 10,000lbs Garwood winch from a M35 will fit between the longitudinal plates of the subframe. This winch is originally a PTO winch and would be powered by a hydraulic motor plumbed to the rear hydraulic circuit of the SEE.

Any comments/suggestions/ideas?

Last edited:

alpine44

Mocked up the cable path with a rope and a couple sections of PVC pipe. There is definitely plenty of space to make this work.
Who knows a source for heavy duty pulleys/sheaves or snatch blocks that fit a 1/2" cable?
I am also looking for a SEE pintle hitch. Just need the forging with the cylindrical shank. Rest can be missing/busted.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My comments/suggestions/ideas (without having given your idea that much thought yet) is not to underestimate the forces the cable will put on things in the "bends".
And to add to the force scenario, I'd also look into making it possible to route the cable forwards, too.
For HD snatch blocks, even regular places like Warn has them.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Just get a weld type receiver hitches and add it under the pintle. It still allows to clear when the backhoe is unfolded. Then nust get a receiver cradle and 12k winch. Or a HMMWV hydraulic type and just run your hoses.

You can weld a receiver tube style under the jack holder place on the front or add to it and use the same cradle setup. Your hose reel should reach. I have a friend with a hmmwv winch setup for 500 in Nashville and i can bring it next time im.over that way

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just get a weld type receiver hitches and add it under the pintle. It still allows to clear when the backhoe is unfolded. Then nust get a receiver cradle and 12k winch. Or a HMMWV hydraulic type and just run your hoses.
Yes, there's room for a receiver tube under the pintle, barely (the hoses may need a slight repositioning in some cases). I measured for that, again, the other day as I want to be able to pull various trailers with a SEE.
What I personally don't like about a receiver mounted winch is lugging it around. With a bad back and knees, not even a 6,000-lb. winch and its mount is something I'd want to carry more than a few feet.
Running one off the tool hoses is a good idea, I think, and I may end up doing that until a permanent hose arrangement happens.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yes, there's room for a receiver tube under the pintle, barely (the hoses may need a slight repositioning in some cases). I measured for that, again, the other day as I want to be able to pull various trailers with a SEE.
What I personally don't like about a receiver mounted winch is lugging it around. With a bad back and knees, not even a 6,000-lb. winch and its mount is something I'd want to carry more than a few feet.
Running one off the tool hoses is a good idea, I think, and I may end up doing that until a permanent hose arrangement happens.
well you can just mount a HMMWVW hydraulic up under both ends of the truck someplace. and just use the tool hoses.. You could store the winch cradle on top of the cab roof and just use the backhoe to pick it up and set it down when you need to use it. Makes it harder to steal as well if its 9ft in the air. the unloading it with the backhoe would entail hooking a chain to it so that the backhoe would lift it when it was unfolded.. if that makes sense.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could store the winch cradle on top of the cab roof and just use the backhoe to pick it up and set it down when you need to use it. the unloading it with the backhoe would entail hooking a chain to it so that the backhoe would lift it when it was unfolded.. if that makes sense.
Yes, it makes sense. I've been meaning to try putting the spare back in place using the backhoe that way.

As far as installing a rear winch (that wouldn't drag in the dirt when the backhoe is deployed) I gave up, even though I'd rather have a rear mount.
One of these years the hydraulic winch I bought will end up front mounted - unless I steal the mid-mount idea.

Last edited:

alpine44

Thanks for the suggestions. The Mile Marker hydraulic winch from the HMMWV is a good choice for front or receiver mounting since the SEE already has the hydraulic circuits.

For logging I need more and heavier cable than the Mile Marker holds and am going to pursue the idea with the mid-mounted Garwood winch.

However, if someone has a good deal on a hydraulic Mile Marker, I may get that one for the front. (Routing a cable from a mid-mounted winch to the front is next to impossible due to the gearbox and engine)

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Routing a cable from a mid-mounted winch to the front is next to impossible due to the gearbox and engine
Only if you run the cable up high. I was thinking below the front axle, or even out to the side, on either side.
None of those would be a routing where you would normally leave the cable, but I've seen it done on larger vehicles, with much larger cable.

fasttruck

If you have .5" cable a 6" sheaved block should be required. Most rigging texts give the cable to block ratio as 12:1. Too small a sheave will strain the cable when it is under
load or break the sheave. Don't ask why I know this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks