• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

V8 Diesel greeting from Germany :-)

Hi Guys (Female and male) :)!

My name is Holger, age 52 years and I live in a small village in the state of Mittelhessen in Germany. I am a professional toolmaker. In my home I have as a hobby a workshop with forge and anvil and an old CNC milling machine and conventional turning machine. At the time (well, because of lack of time for about 5 years) I'm going to build an air forging hammer (bear weight about 35 kg, thus about 77 lbs).
I have been able to translate this whole text from the Google translator since my English is not so good. Please do not be surprised if something sounds a bit funny, because the Google translator does not always translate everything correctly. But certainly something better than me.
I hope you can understand everything written.

As a small boy at the age of five I heard how an American soldier stationed here had started the engine of his Corvette. Since then, I knew that I would like to have an American car with V8 engine.
Unfortunately I had to wait another 41 years for this dream to come true.

Since I drove a Toyota pickup for 20 years and the TÜV (German Technical Inspection for Motor Vehicles) separated us because of too much rust, I decided to buy a Chevy Pickup M1008 6.2L Diesel. Not because he was from the military, but because he has no electronics and is relatively easy to repair. What is not, can not be broken. I have been repairing everything myself on machines, motorcycles and motor vehicles.

So in March 2012 I finally fulfilled my dream :).
The Chevy was then 3.5 years and 40000 miles my everyday car. Of course, I still have him and rejoice in him. But now he is allowed to lead a pensioner's existence and does not have to work so much.
If it is, I will keep it forever :).

It is always nice when I start the 6.2L shipdiesel and a vibration through the body goes :).
Two Cherrybombs improve the V8 sound even more.

Except for the 5 roof lights, the Chevy is still in its original condition and will remain so.

In this forum, there are a lot of interesting things. I will have to read for hours. And this with my super English ;-).

So, it was once from me.

A nice V8 Greeting from Germany to America,

Holgi

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Hallo, willkommen im Forum! Sie werden viele Jahre Freude für das Fahrzeug zu erhalten. Posten Sie bitte einige Bilder für uns zu sehen.

Hello, welcome to the forum! You will get many years of pleasure from the truck. Please post some pics for us to see.

NormB

Dein Englisch ist nicht nur gut genug bei uns, es is auch SAU gut (ein Bayerische Redewendung die ich im Augsburg gelernt weil ich war drei Jahren bei der Armee da).

Ein Herzlich Willkommen auch!

I knew a guy when I was in Augsburg who sold a 1957 Thunderbird to someone he met at a rest stop near München. Actually traded it. Man was a Mercedes dealer. Friend got a new, loaded, leather, matching luggage, Mercedes - I forget which model, but it was worth about five times what Jim had in his T-Bird.

Have fun with your truck. I know you will. You got the Cherry Bomb mufflers through inspection? Wow.

Dein Englisch ist nicht nur gut genug bei uns, es is auch SAU gut (ein Bayerische Redewendung die ich im Augsburg gelernt weil ich war drei Jahren bei der Armee da).

Ein Herzlich Willkommen auch!
Dankeschön, thank you. When i am write without the google translator, like now, you will roll your eyes, because it is horrabel bad ;-))).

You got the Cherry Bomb mufflers through inspection? Wow.
Yes, i have a lot of fun with him, i love him :))).

Do you mean the German TÜV?
He was enthusiastic about the cool v8 sound.rofl

Now I've also understood how pictures are displayed directly here. Click to enlarge the image.:cookoo:

26135022eq.jpg

The humvee is not mine, I've only driven offroad in the mud.

23373681ks.jpg 23373678jx.jpg

21244698lp.jpg 18573487lv.jpg 18573440dm.jpg 18573438vj.jpg 16626355kj.jpg

17075496ut.jpg

Last edited:

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from California!
Suggestion: Change the 379cui to 6.2l in your sig line.
It will less confusing since that is what we associate with the CUCV.
You will have many years of fun with your truck, just be sure to download the
TMs and study the notes in the CUCV helpfull hints section.
Especially the doghead mod.

Hello!

Thank you all for welcome.:)

Suggestion: Change the 379cui to 6.2l in your sig line.
It will less confusing since that is what we associate with the CUCV.
Yes, thank you, I've changed it.
Excuse me, I thought, in America you get easier with inch.
I hope so it is now better.

Especially the doghead mod.
Yes, thank you, this problem is also known here and already repaired.

Greetings from Mittelhessen,

Holgi

Last edited:

joshuak

Greetings Holgi, and welcome from Maryland, USA.

Thanks for sharing the story and the great pictures, look forward to seeing more of it.

Joshua

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, inch is prefered for most things unless it is oficialy designated in the product nomenclature.
Great pics! keep them coming.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! Aboard from Central Illinois, USA

Your English, SMOKES my German! Hope see ya someday!!!
Fair seas and following winds, Sir.@

Such a crap. If something longer writes on a post (upload pictures), logs out the forum and everything is lost. So again. :-(

My girlfriend always thought, her Nissan Terrano II would be a big car.rofl

DSC02987.jpg

That's how it looked when I bought it in March 2012.

DSC03002.jpgIMG_2398.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks