• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lifting 55 gallon drums

rtadams89

I figured some of you may have experience with stuff like this an may have advice to prevent my from hurting myself or destroying the drums.

Soon, I will need to load a bunch of 55 gallon drum barrels (about 400lbs each) into the back of my M35. I have a crane in the bed of the truck that is capable of lifting the load, but I don't currently have any way to grab on to the drums. The drums I will be lifting are metal, but not ribbed and have removable lids that are secured with a latching ring seal. Looking around, the only options I have found are slings that ratchet around the drum circumference -- but these require ribs -- and ones like a Merrill drum lifter -- but these clamp on to the rim and I'm afraid they will damage the lid/seal.

Are there other options out there I'm not finding?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
This is as good as you're gonna' get.

Resized_20170612_175447.jpg

JDToumanian

I have one of these, a Morse model 92 drum lifter. They're not cheap, but I got lucky and got one basically for free in an industrial auction lot of misc. crap.

Jon

Attachments

garrett7189

chain sling northern tool item#52416-1764

I figured some of you may have experience with stuff like this an may have advice to prevent my from hurting myself or destroying the drums.

Soon, I will need to load a bunch of 55 gallon drum barrels (about 400lbs each) into the back of my M35. I have a crane in the bed of the truck that is capable of lifting the load, but I don't currently have any way to grab on to the drums. The drums I will be lifting are metal, but not ribbed and have removable lids that are secured with a latching ring seal. Looking around, the only options I have found are slings that ratchet around the drum circumference -- but these require ribs -- and ones like a Merrill drum lifter -- but these clamp on to the rim and I'm afraid they will damage the lid/seal.

Are there other options out there I'm not finding?

We use that chain sling from northern tools because it has locking tabs on it & is only 45 dollars. Item # 52416-1764

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most lifting accessories are way too complicated - and expensive...
All you need is a pair of these hooks:
lift hook.PNG

... and a few feet of 5/16" chain. Then you build this (with- or w/o lifting eye):
drum lifting chain sling.PNG

Or use a 2"-strap sling, instead.

Make a second one, a bit longer, so you can lift them horizontally, too.

Attachments

garrett7189

Are those hooks/chain slings safe (both to me and the barrels) to use on ones with removable lids?
As long as you are competent as an average Joe off of the street I would say you can operate it safely- now if a sling and and handle confuses you then yes- maybe get something easier to operate like a hired hand to do the work for you. Point being they sell them for a reason or you can overthink anything-

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks