• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV trailer wiring question

WECSOG

I have a 1986 M1009 CUCV. I want to have the ability to use my trailers existing flat four plug with my CUCV. So my question is instead of splicing in a flat four plug adapter, does anyone make a "tee" type adapter which simply snaps into the existing connectors which lead to the military trailer plug?

Pic's below of said existing connectors.

View attachment 69502220170814_151510_resized.jpg20170814_151611_resized.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you get a lite mate, make sure it's for an 84. The wiring changed in 85 on civy trucks, but not on CUCVs.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kind of trailer do you have? Do you plan on adding a hitch as well. There are a number of options and based on the direction you are going, some are better than others.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shortly after I bought my M1009, I needed to use it to haul my 5' x 8' Haulmark enclosed trailer. I picked up a military trailer wiring plug with 3' of wire on it. I asked my wife to get in the driver's seat and turn on the 4 way flashers, brake lights, parking lights, left and right blinkers. I hit each female plug with a voltmeter. I created a pin diagram on a piece of paper and labeled which pin did what. Using the diagram and my wife's assistance I was able to determine which wires on the military trailer plug would connect to the 4 blade plug. I bought a 4 blade trailer wire adapter kit from the auto parts store and soldered it to the corresponding cables on the trailer plug. When I want to haul my Haulmark, I plug the adapter into the military plug next to the pintle, plug the other end into the trailer wiring harness, hitch it up, hook on the safety chains, and off I go! :)

cucvrus

Shortly after I bought my M1009, I needed to use it to haul my 5' x 8' Haulmark enclosed trailer. I picked up a military trailer wiring plug with 3' of wire on it. I asked my wife to get in the driver's seat and turn on the 4 way flashers, brake lights, parking lights, left and right blinkers. I hit each female plug with a voltmeter. I created a pin diagram on a piece of paper and labeled which pin did what. Using the diagram and my wife's assistance I was able to determine which wires on the military trailer plug would connect to the 4 blade plug. I bought a 4 blade trailer wire adapter kit from the auto parts store and soldered it to the corresponding cables on the trailer plug. When I want to haul my Haulmark, I plug the adapter into the military plug next to the pintle, plug the other end into the trailer wiring harness, hitch it up, hook on the safety chains, and off I go! :)
That always works also.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exactly why I asked. I have the same adapters. Generally, there will always be a surplus plug available somewhere.

art

Yes there is a "T" connector
Trailer light 4 wire plug Napa 755-1554
Note: You still have to splice in one turn signal wire.
Use the connector that's in back of the bumper underneath the left tail light.

Works great in my M1009

WECSOG

Yes there is a "T" connector
Trailer light 4 wire plug Napa 755-1554
Note: You still have to splice in one turn signal wire.
Use the connector that's in back of the bumper underneath the left tail light.

Works great in my M1009
Thanks I'll take a look, and see if I can find it.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you, or someone else who reads this thread, go the route of making an adapter, I've attached the pin information for you below.
The adapter is easy to make, just get a truck end of a 4-way, and attach the wires as indicated. That way you can use it on any of your CUCVs (or other MVs, after matching bulb voltage).

Mine ain't necessarily pretty, but it works. :wink:

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

Keith_J

I want to make an adapter for the military trailer lights to 7 and 4 pole receptacles. I have the connector off a trailer and have labeled the wires..but I want to find correct poles in the military for trailer brakes and power. Add that and it will be stock looking yet functional.

KI4FKW

I was lucky enough that when I bought my truck, the previous owner had already installed a flat 4 connector, 7 pin round, and still had the military connector. All work as should. Even have trailer brakes and a receiver to go along with the pintel. I can tow near anything!

Last edited:

Keith_J

How about using backup light circuit for electric brakes? I don't know of any trailers having backup lights. Good for 15 amps. It has 12/24 volt constant for the battery brake backup. Hazard if used outside of my design is 12 volts applied to backup lights, should pose no hazard. Just no brakes.

Last edited:

Dsoyars

I was lucky enough that when I bought my truck, the previous owner had already installed a flat 4 connector, 7 pin round, and still had the military connector. All work as should. Even have trailer brakes and a receiver to go along with the pintel. I can tow near anything!
PIC!!! PLEASE!!!!

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks