• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big Span Aircraft Models

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are pretty cool. I guess if one of them was your "baby" then it would be worth spending that to have one.

Though I did find myself looking around the ceiling pondering on where I could fit in a 5.5' long Hindenburg! :D

Cheers

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
C-17A 1.jpgC-17A 2.jpg The C-17A. The builder claims this is the largest RC plane to date. I think the span is 10ft.

Another Ahab

Speaking of BIG and OUTTA MY LEAGUE......

The LARGE Scale Do-X rc model in flight:

WOW !
Wow, you're not kidding ColdWarrior, that IS large.

Very cool.

I only got through about 3-4 minutes of the vid, but impressive with the retractable landing gear.

And it looks like the original full-scale airframe was designed with a screw propeller and rudder for water navigation. Wonder if all that is operational in the model?

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, you're not kidding ColdWarrior, that IS large.

Very cool.

I only got through about 3-4 minutes of the vid, but impressive with the retractable landing gear.

And it looks like the airframe was designed with a screw propeller and rudder for water navigation. Wonder if all that is operational in the model?
Ahab. Pretty amazing when you think about it. Would like to know what kind of engines he's using. Also how much fuel does it carry, and what's the flight time?

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RC is all well and good. Those who prefer a challenge build stick and tissue balsa. Here is a Cleveland Spitfire I made from scratch from plans out of a kit from 1942. Have the kit, complete, but contents too aged to be used.
Hard to immediately tell, but the wingspan is a full 36"
Bulldogger
IMG_0469.jpg

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shipping cost for those models, especially the Hindenburg, must be interesting!

I have seen RC Planes with up to 96" wingspans simple secured to rooftop carriers for transport. They are made for flight and the rigors of wind, WHY NOT?
I have seen RC's with longer wing spans with reducible "width" wings (removable outboard sections) that could also be car-top transported so long as they are not "oversize" for road legal transport.

There's nothing like seeing a Dodge Caravan with a B-29 riding piggyback on the Interstate! Lots of rubbernecking going on there!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, like the shuttle transport 747, is the van carrying the B-29 or is the B-29 transporting the van? :)
The B-29 was atop the minivan. The other way around would have damaged the RC Plane me thinks.

Hey, ColdWarrior, are those all more examples of that whole Texas thing?!

View attachment 698611
Actually, the Caravan carrying the B-29 was spotted in PENNSYLVANIA about 5 years ago. Might have been an AMISH thing I suppose. LOL

But, yes, EVERYTHING is BIGGER in TEXAS. I thought you knew that, Ahab. Are we going to have to send you back to school.....again?

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was flying R/C , I would rent a u-haul truck whenever I took the c-130 to fly (it had a 132" wingspan). I could fit it in a Town & Country, but I usually broke something....it was just to big.

Its amazing where R/C aircraft are now.....the ARF and RTF electrics make the building process almost non-existent. Though, the smell of nitro exhaust .....nothing like it (except maybe diesel exhaust out of an NHC-250....lol).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks