• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clutch woes FLU 419

expeditionnw

Having an issue with a 419 I recently acquired.

I cannot get the clutch to release.

originally the pedal felt a bit low, So I bled it. I also adjusted the slave cylinder to 1/8" spec, and adjusted the pedal cam to its fullest point. Now I feel good pedal, but the clutch still will not release.

little backstory on the truck, I had to rehab the starter, as the nosecone had seized up from moisture in the bellhousing. I have a hunch that likewise, the clutch is frozen somehow, though I cannot figure how possible, since it feels like the pressure plate is disengaging as normal.

There are no strange noises heard, and I can drive/shift the truck without using the clutch without issue. the clutch is certainly strong- with my feet burying the clutch and brake to the floor, I cannot kill the truck in low gear. just cant get it to release. anyone else run into this?

Would one of you guys be willing to measure the throw of the throwout arm so I can compare to mine, to see if its fully engaging?I want to rule out faulty hydraulics/linkage before i get serious.

could it be possible the pilot shaft of the trans is frozen into the back of the crank?

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moisture in the bellhousing probably equals rust-stuck clutch disc to pressure plate or flywheel. Either one stuck and the throw out bearing does it's job but clutch does not release. Suggestion, drive it, drive it, drive it. Apply clutch often. Does not matter what gear you are in, you just want the clutch disc to be rattled and clutch pushed in enough to give the disc a chance to break loose from whichever side it's stuck on (probably flywheel). There's little chance you have a stuck pilot bearing, IMHO.

Make sure the drain plug is not in the bottom of the bell housing.

Bob

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I once had a farm tractor with those symptoms. What I found was that the the pilot bearing on the input shaft of the tranny was frozen in the crank. The clutch, per se, was working as it should, but there was constant input from the engine to the transmission. A frozen nose cone in the starter suggests that moisture, etc., entered the bell housing some way.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe there is "little chance of it being the pilot bearing being stuck", but if it is & you do break it loose by driving it, it can mess up the end of the crank or the input shaft. Doesn't the bell housing have an access hole that allows you to see the edges the the pressure plate & clutch disc. You should be able to see that disc & if it floats (as it should), with the clutch peddle depressed - or chisel it loose with something.

expeditionnw

Thanks for the reply Rosco. If the pilot is stuck, seems like it would be a bear to try separating the trans from the motor.

when i get home, ill lift the cab and see if theres an inspection cover. There sure doesnt seem to be any below.

i just noticed your location Rosco. I was in Tok yesterday, now in valdez. Will be thru delta junction in a few days, ill wave on the way by!

Jmanc2

Is the OP still here? I'm wondering if he found the problem/solution. My FLU-419 experiencing the exact same problem. ran perfectly about a year ago. Jumped in it recently and clutch wont release. Hoping to not have to drop motor/tranny...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks