• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found some halftracks in the woods

dmetalmiki

That was an amazing, and fortunate 'find'.
Progress looks fantastic so far. Years ago I knew of a halftrack (M9) in a river near a power station. Nagged the owner for two years with no luck,
Then out of the blue he rang me saying the power company were excavating that site within a week.
So, IF you can get it out (By Tomorrow!) you can Have it!.(Laughing).
Ooooooooooooooooo! MyF100 at the time, 8 batteries, (or more) Tools, wire ropes, jacks, Pulleys..Winches..Drove over there the guy was still chuckling (waiting for us to fail and the crusher get it.)
3 hours later with a power crew and bulldozer arriving,
No wires, No Pulleys, No jacks, No winches, OH DEAR I hear you say.
Ha! Fired right up AND drove out of that river and mud!
The 'bloke' is NOT cackling now!
Some guy said he would take it home for me on his trailer. No way I said. That won't carry it. Yes it will..OK go for it sez' I. YOU drive it on and what fails you pays!.
CRUNCH! The 4 wheels on that trailer are now nicely parallel! with the floor and the deck flush with mother earth.
We took it home on my 'Chinese six' ex beer delivery truck.
It took me 4 years to re build it. Most satisfying and a great fun truck.
After MUCH searching through boxes of old disc drives......Here's...........Something I am going to be keeping saved for you to look at.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was an amazing, and fortunate 'find'.
Progress looks fantastic so far. Years ago I knew of a halftrack (M9) in a river near a power station. Nagged the owner for two years with no luck,
Then out of the blue he rang me saying the power company were excavating that site within a week.
So, IF you can get it out (By Tomorrow!) you can Have it!.(Laughing).
Ooooooooooooooooo! MyF100 at the time, 8 batteries, (or more) Tools, wire ropes, jacks, Pulleys..Winches..Drove over there the guy was still chuckling (waiting for us to fail and the crusher get it.)
3 hours later with a power crew and bulldozer arriving,
No wires, No Pulleys, No jacks, No winches, OH DEAR I hear you say.
Ha! Fired right up AND drove out of that river and mud!
The 'bloke' is NOT cackling now!
Some guy said he would take it home for me on his trailer. No way I said. That won't carry it. Yes it will..OK go for it sez' I. YOU drive it on and what fails you pays!.
CRUNCH! The 4 wheels on that trailer are now nicely parallel! with the floor and the deck flush with mother earth.
We took it home on my 'Chinese six' ex beer delivery truck.
It took me 4 years to re build it. Most satisfying and a great fun truck.
After MUCH searching through boxes of old disc drives......Here's...........Something I am going to be keeping saved for you to look at.
It must not have been in the river to long as it looks in pretty decent shape. Glad you were able to get to it before the scrappers got it.[thumbzup]

dmetalmiki

It looked like really BAD junk when we got it (the International Harvester) out of the river believe me. That picture of it (restored) on the back of my half track transporter (Beer truck) Is after more than 4 years of serious restoration work.
It had nothing from the floor up, and we made everything including the sides,shutters fuel tanks..front roller..gun mounts and carriage, the list was endless.It was a long and painstaking job. But well worth it.
But I still vote the 'white' as the better machine all round.

Wayofftrack

A long overdue update. So the one in the first post is running now with most of the cab re-assembled and the winch installed. Finally got the last one home yesterday.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks