• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smart start control box

NormB

"PROTECTIVE Control Box".

Isn't that where the acronym is from?

Probably one of those things you MIGHT do just to limp home or at least get the truck up on a trailer.

weave88

You should be able to bypass or rewire the m998 similar to a chevy or gmc truck with 6.2 or 6.5 , eliminating that expensive start box and making it easier to trouble shoot truck..

weave88

A buddy of mine stopped over to help me get my 1989 m998 Hummvee running , took him about 15 minutes to jump out that so important smart start control box and get my truck running !!! We are looking at rewiring truck to eliminate control box ! Chevy & GM don't use it !!!

Bravojmc

A buddy of mine stopped over to help me get my 1989 m998 Hummvee running , took him about 15 minutes to jump out that so important smart start control box and get my truck running !!! We are looking at rewiring truck to eliminate control box ! Chevy & GM don't use it !!!
Let us know how it goes and what you did.
Also does anyone know why this smartbox is truly used...?

weave88

Truck was starting and running, had changed oil and wanted to spin engine without starting ,to fill new oil filter .. Pulled the injector wire that controls fuel solenoid to pump and engaged starter, injector lead shorted on manifold and burned out something in control box . Engine would spin over but would not start. Found there was no voltage going to injector pump solenoid even though there was voltage at key switch and to starter nothing was going to injector pump, then ran a jumper from alternator 24 volts to injector pump and the engine started. These control boxes read engine temp and send voltage to the eight glow plugs and the injector pump and apparently burn out quite easily. The 6.2 and 6.5 have been used in a wide variety of vehicle's without this control box. What I need is a wiring diagram for m998 to rewire vehicle like any chevy or gm pickup with the diesel in it .

weave88

Will do !! I need a wiring diagram for the m998,, I have a couple of service manual's but there are no wiring diagrams. Started buzzing out wires for continuity to see what goes where !

NormB

You might do well to look for the actual schematics from those vehicles you believe are wired the way you think they are and go from there. Make a harness, sell copies, get rich ;-)

If there had been an easy, safe, useful, reliable way of doing this to HMMWVs, I'd think some of the electrical wizards (IEEE even) on this board or g503 or at hummerknowledgebase or SOMEWHERE would've figured it out by now and we wouldn't be paying out $375 to $750-plus for the boxes.

Following this thread with interest however.

weave88

I agree with you 100 % , I have been scouring the internet looking for something or someone who has already done it ! Diesel mechanic I know tells me , he doesn't know of any other vehicle that uses that system or box , I have a cummins diesel that has an intake air prewarmer with no glow plugs , I used to operate travel lifts and heavy equipment with massive diesel's that had a can of ether to start them...But your right there's not much help out there for these vehicles , thought for sure there would be .. Friend of mine who I mentioned earlier is an electronic , electrical wizard is helping me find a way to solve this problem... Need a schematic of the m998 wiring harness to see what goes where , schematic for the chevy & gm trucks already have..

NormB

I agree with you 100 % , I have been scouring the internet looking for something or someone who has already done it ! Diesel mechanic I know tells me , he doesn't know of any other vehicle that uses that system or box , I have a cummins diesel that has an intake air prewarmer with no glow plugs , I used to operate travel lifts and heavy equipment with massive diesel's that had a can of ether to start them...But your right there's not much help out there for these vehicles , thought for sure there would be .. Friend of mine who I mentioned earlier is an electronic , electrical wizard is helping me find a way to solve this problem... Need a schematic of the m998 wiring harness to see what goes where , schematic for the chevy & gm trucks already have..

The HMMWV schematics are in the manuals; others have posted more useful full-sized CLEARLY legible PDF files here. In this forum. I have some here somewhere as I asked the same question about schematics, unfortunately the wiring harness schematics only go up to something like 1990. Been meaning to take 'em down to Kinkos, but at $3 for an 18x24 (i.e. - USEFUL) size page (and there'd be several), haven't gotten around to it. Tried using the screen capsture, copier/clip feature on Mac and Windows 'puters and it's tedious, really hard to reassemble into something useful, and you'd think the US Publication Printing office would make these available.

PM me your email address I'll send the copies I have to you.

Wire Fox

The HMMWV schematics are in the manuals; others have posted more useful full-sized CLEARLY legible PDF files here. In this forum. I have some here somewhere as I asked the same question about schematics, unfortunately the wiring harness schematics only go up to something like 1990. Been meaning to take 'em down to Kinkos, but at $3 for an 18x24 (i.e. - USEFUL) size page (and there'd be several), haven't gotten around to it. Tried using the screen capsture, copier/clip feature on Mac and Windows 'puters and it's tedious, really hard to reassemble into something useful, and you'd think the US Publication Printing office would make these available.

PM me your email address I'll send the copies I have to you.
Best wiring diagrams are found in TM-9-2320-387-24-2. They're early 2000s and cover M1113, M1114, M1151, M1152, M1165, and M1167 units. These are very high-quality, print-ready PDFs that you can actually read. The actual wiring schematics will be extremely similar for other HMMWVs and these are great to get to all the fine details and read the wire codes, but it is very wise to cross-check with an older wiring schematic for your specific HMMWV model and compare the two for any crucial changes. If you need details about wire connectors used and other repair components, cross-check with TM-9-2320-387-24&P and you will find a diagram that points to all of the connectors on the harness and lists part numbers.

I have been using these manuals to guide me through my upgrade process of installing a 4L80E transmission with my own wiring harness.

DrOfData

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will do !! I need a wiring diagram for the m998,, I have a couple of service manual's but there are no wiring diagrams. Started buzzing out wires for continuity to see what goes where !
Has anyone come up with anything for this? No activity since the end of August, but still hoping!

Wire Fox

Has anyone come up with anything for this? No activity since the end of August, but still hoping!
For the wiring diagrams? If that's what you're looking for, see my post immediately above your's. It says exactly what technical manuals to look in.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best wiring diagrams are found in TM-9-2320-387-24-2. They're early 2000s and cover M1113, M1114, M1151, M1152, M1165, and M1167 units. These are very high-quality, print-ready PDFs that you can actually read. The actual wiring schematics will be extremely similar for other HMMWVs and these are great to get to all the fine details and read the wire codes, but it is very wise to cross-check with an older wiring schematic for your specific HMMWV model and compare the two for any crucial changes. If you need details about wire connectors used and other repair components, cross-check with TM-9-2320-387-24&P and you will find a diagram that points to all of the connectors on the harness and lists part numbers.

I have been using these manuals to guide me through my upgrade process of installing a 4L80E transmission with my own wiring harness.
So I searched for an hour. Where is TM 9-2320-387-24-2 ?

Any chance the tech manuals can be re-labeled by TM number and not by the post or poster? Some are labeled, some are not labeled that way.

T

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks