• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally joined the MEP-803A club...

robson1015

Finally bit the bullet and and won the bid on a nice unit. Included was 3 piece ground rod, battery boxes and hardware and aux. fuel hose. Missing the power lug wrench and ground bolt from the starter.
Already did the gauge light jumper wire and replaced the return fuel lines. Waiting on two well nuts from flea bay. Can't wait to fire it up...DSCF2195.jpgDSCF2201.jpgDSCF2202.jpgDSCF2212.jpgDSCF2223.jpgDSCF2207.jpgDSCF2221.jpgDSCF2224.jpgDSCF2226.jpgMeter shows 231 hours. Does the small plate on the right of the data plate indicate reset ??

Guyfang

Staff member
Yeah, its for scanning. Everything in the military has such a scanner plate on it. No fuss, no muss. Simply point the gun, pull the trigger. If you were in the military, you have to remember inventories! What a PITA. But necessary. The commander's 10% inventory every month was an incredible time killer. Its still a PITA, but requires much less time now. This is one bit of technology I learned to love!

Guyfang

Staff member
If you haven't already, push the red wire down and secure it with a wire tie. It's not just neater, it keeps it from being snagged by your hand, wrench, droplight, the dog's paw and so on. You have a good clean looking set there!

robson1015

Thanx Guyfang. I read everything you and daybreak and a few others post on here. Alot of MEP experience and a wealth of knowledge from you guys. Thanx in advance as I am sure I will be picking your brain as I go.

Bmxenbrett

Great looking unit. A 200hr unit is just out of the 100hr break in period. It should serve you a good long time.
Another good mod to do is the fuse and MOV mod thstnprotects the stator windings. Very cheap for what it does.

robson1015

DSCF2203.jpg Ground off part of the ear of the right side wing nut that latches the control box door. It was hitting the gauge and wouldn't turn. It's the little things in life...

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Nice job.
I see you have been reading the forums. I see you also hooked up the gauges to light up. ;)

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 696190 I believe it is completed already. Is it the fuse along side the voltage regulator ??
Yes - That is the Fuse Mod. It protects your Quad winding from burning up should the Regulator's internal diode bridge short out.

The MOV mod is intended to protect the Regulator's internal diode bridge from shorting out.
If you need a MOV for the mod just PM me and I'll mail you one.

robson1015

Where can I find the small rubber o-ring on the bottom of the fuel filter bowl ?? The one on the inside is good but the one under the bolt head is shot....Can I simply switch them ? Looks like it will leak if I leave it as is...Not really an o-ring more like a rubber washer. Part # 19 on the GMG schematic of the filter parts.

Guyfang

Staff member
When we ordered them in the army, the baldwin filters came with them, yes.

Having said that, we often had to replace the "O" rings or someone lost them. We simply dipped into our "O" ring kit, and found one about the right size and it worked.

There is a NSN for parts kits, (part number: 393331) 2815-01-139-4010, or (part number: 7961121) 2815-00-099-5467. NAPA also carries the kits and rings. There are about a half dozen suppliers to the military.

robson1015

MOV is on the way thanks to kloppk.
Reference the o-ring on the fuel filter, I switched them and used the best one on the outside-no leaks. I thought I could get by without changing the injector hoses as they looked pretty good-WRONG. One had a severe leak so I changed them and all is well. It's alive!!DSCF2237.jpgDSCF2233.jpgDSCF2235.jpg

robson1015

The water temp gauge was acting a little crazy. Jumped back and forth a couple times then went to the max and stayed there before the engine got warm. After about an hour the temp was reading 190-200. I'm not sure if it's working or not. Put in fresh Rotella 15-40 and prestone coolant. Also cleaned about a ton of sand from the fuel tank. Blew it out with compressed air, then vacuumed with vacuum cleaner and repeat several times. Then I made a tank cleaner apparatus( rag on a clothes hanger) and swabbed the tank with diesel fuel soaked rag. Got the tank very clean with this system, It was full of white dust and sand.
DSCF2228.jpgDSCF2230.jpgDSCF2232.jpg

robson1015

Ran it for about an hour and a half. Looking for an apartment size electric stove/oven for a load bank. Will run it under load soon when I find load bank. So far very happy with this unit. More later.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks