• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OHIO BMV Changed my Street Legal Title from Virginia to Off Road USE only

Darrellr

Well... I purchased a very nice M998 from a gentleman in Virginia. It had a street legal title with two previous owners all street legal. I went to BMV, the lady looked out the window, said it was a military vehicle, and issued me an off road use only title ... Help.. This thing has been street legal through three civilian owners.. They have ruined my title... Planet B will issue a street legal UTAH title for $2300.. Not going there...

This new law supposedly targeting HMMWVs but not other vehicles went into effect in April of 2017. If this was registered in another state legally can I get this corrected?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You can register vehicles in VT from out of state. They'll even mail you your registration, plates, and a title (Even if you live across the country).

Heres a vid : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pgK4pbaA1g
That may work but depending on your state. I know Montana is one and a few others. If you are a resident of that state then you have to register your vehicle in that state within 10 to 30 days of taking residency. Otherwise its a stupid ticket. May not have an issue in most urban areas but some small town/county barney fife may be up for giving you a hard time. I know they did in Montana when I lived there.

Awol

That may work but depending on your state. I know Montana is one and a few others. If you are a resident of that state then you have to register your vehicle in that state within 10 to 30 days of taking residency. Otherwise its a stupid ticket. May not have an issue in most urban areas but some small town/county barney fife may be up for giving you a hard time. I know they did in Montana when I lived there.
True. I would go this route, and once you have a VT registration and plate (and you're feeling lucky) go back to the Virginia DMV and try and re-register it.

Worst case, rock the VT plate. They're butt ugly, but at least you're driving your truck!

Action

So he is in the system trying to register that VIN with a VA title. You guys are telling him to get a title from another state and go back to dmv with the same VIN?

Thr first post reads as if he already has an OH offroad title.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to be a naysayer but my guess is that the more HMMWVs that come out, the more scrutiny they will get. It's no secret that they weren't supposed to be registered for road use. I wonder if any of the early release sale from the USMC owners will soon see repurcussions from GP selloff.

ryanruck

I can't offer any advice beyond what I last posted in the already linked thread. It seems that the Ohio BMV is simply acting outside the law in prohibiting HMMWVs from being road titled and making up their own rules. I'm of the opinion that there is a bias against military vehicles within the BMV bureaucracy and they are looking to make things as difficult as possible.

The fact is in Ohio it is 100% legal to retitle an off road vehicle to an on road vehicle or, even build your own vehicle in your garage, and title it for road use.

It's looking more and more like it's going to take a legislative remedy to reign them in. I've been in the process of authoring a letter to my local state senator and rep but, I've been too busy with work on my truck before the cold weather is here and life in general to make a lot of headway on it. Ideally I'd like to see our state copy Kentucky's SB176, potentially with specific mention of HMMWVs. Completely feel free to urge your local reps to do this! The more they hear from their constituents that this is something we'd like to see passed, the better chance it stands of happening.

I do know there is at least 1 attorney involved in this (not on my behalf) already but, judicial action won't carry the same weight as legislative.

hmmwv.jpg

Spyderman

I can't offer any advice beyond what I last posted in the already linked thread. It seems that the Ohio BMV is simply acting outside the law in prohibiting HMMWVs from being road titled and making up their own rules. I'm of the opinion that there is a bias against military vehicles within the BMV bureaucracy and they are looking to make things as difficult as possible.

The fact is in Ohio it is 100% legal to retitle an off road vehicle to an on road vehicle or, even build your own vehicle in your garage, and title it for road use.

It's looking more and more like it's going to take a legislative remedy to reign them in. I've been in the process of authoring a letter to my local state senator and rep but, I've been too busy with work on my truck before the cold weather is here and life in general to make a lot of headway on it. Ideally I'd like to see our state copy Kentucky's SB176, potentially with specific mention of HMMWVs. Completely feel free to urge your local reps to do this! The more they hear from their constituents that this is something we'd like to see passed, the better chance it stands of happening.

I do know there is at least 1 attorney involved in this (not on my behalf) already but, judicial action won't carry the same weight as legislative.

View attachment 696191
I just read the Kentucky SB176. If I read it right they would make it a motor vehicle. Then if it is not a motor vehicle now then there is no need to register them and get plates since you only have to register a motor vehicle. I got a plate for nothing then.......

ryanruck

I just read the Kentucky SB176. If I read it right they would make it a motor vehicle. Then if it is not a motor vehicle now then there is no need to register them and get plates since you only have to register a motor vehicle. I got a plate for nothing then.......
Not being an expert on KY law, you may only need to register it if you intend to operate it on public roads. KY may or may not have a law requiring ORVs to have plates as well. Ohio recently adopted a law stating that even if it never leaves your property, ORVs are supposed to be plated. :roll:

kcobean

I think the reason that Plan B supply charges that for the title process in UT is that the vehicle actually has to be IN Utah to register it, so it has to be trucked or driven there, registered and returned. But then you're right back where you started...you have a title from another state. I'd definitely look at Montana or Vermont. LOTS of exotics registered in MT. I see 'em all the time around here.

BTW, is your truck a Plan B rig?

Wire Fox

I think the reason that Plan B supply charges that for the title process in UT is that the vehicle actually has to be IN Utah to register it, so it has to be trucked or driven there, registered and returned. But then you're right back where you started...you have a title from another state. I'd definitely look at Montana or Vermont. LOTS of exotics registered in MT. I see 'em all the time around here.

BTW, is your truck a Plan B rig?
I wish the reasoning was for factoring in shipping, but it's not. You're responsible for getting the vehichle to them and getting it back, AND you pay the huge fee for them "make it legal".

ryanruck

What is Ohio going to do with all the previously, legally titled HMMWV's registered in the state, revoke their titles ?
Sush, you might give them ideas! :???:

In all seriousness though, like some other states have, I suppose they could. I just renewed my registration though with no problems. In and out in less than 10 minutes without a second thought given to it.

I would like to see them justify doing so, however, considering how you can literally build a car from tubing and sheet metal in your garage and that's a-okay but a HMMWV somehow isn't. :roll: I've driven by countless cops with not a second look, except the occasional thumbs up. My brother is a county deputy and said that so long as the basic safety equipment requirements (posted in the other thread) are met, there is no reason to prohibit it let alone stop it.

Like I said, it's going to take a legislative reckoning for the BMV to reign them in so, get involved and contact your reps!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks