• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OHIO BMV Changed my Street Legal Title from Virginia to Off Road USE only

ryanruck

HB710 in the last session was focused on HMMWVs. Any new legislation should be written to clear up the problem for all MVs. There is plenty of useful information in the threads in the "politics" forum from the issues in Virginia, Michigan, Washington State, etc., and also the success stories in GA, LA, KY etc. Key points are the MIL-STD and its acceptance as equivalent to FMVSS by the NHTSA and the Appellate court in Wisconsin.

It will be much easier to pass a law without opposition from the administrative branch of the government, or there is a risk of veto as happened in Michigan. It would be good to know where the opposition is coming from and also the basis. I have never seen any sort of official memo from the Ohio BMV stating reasons for the MV registration issues. Does such a memo exist?

There has been a change in the Ohio Governor's office, also a new Director of Public Safety, under which the BMV falls. Maybe it is worth a shot to try to engage the administrative branch at some level, either directly or with one or more legislators supporting the effort.
So far as I know, the only official memo was the one from 4/17 regarding HMMWVs and their off road status (which I believe to actually be incorrect considering the prior NHTSA rulings that HMMWVs are primarily on road vehicles), essentially reaffirming how off road vehicles are to be operated under Ohio law. It did not address anything regarding retitling them once they meet equipment safety requirements, nor did it address any other military vehicles.

If there is anything coming down from the DPS HQ, it is not official and is why they need put in their place.

Ideally I'd like to see OH follow KY's lead on a standardized MV inspection/registration process. With the OKI partnership on a number of things, it is a potential possibility. But then again, this is Ohio we're talking about here so I won't hold my breath.

Kwaligura

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't met with him yet I just sent an email saying that I had some questions and concerns that I would like to talk about. He has sessions Tuesday and Wednesday and would be in Columbus those days. That's the days I had off this week. Hopefully I can get done with work at a decent time one day this week and stop in and talk to him.

Kwaligura

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just met with Frank Hoagland. Drove the dropside deuce to his house. Talked with him for about two hours. He said that the bill wasn't voted on because it was a bunch of shat. He said that it is being gutted and rewritten to be where you can plate them however you like. He said that he thinks that if someone wants to drive it to work every day they should be able to. He also said that he was wanting a Korean war or a Vietnam war era army jeep. I will give him a month or so before I stop back and pester him again.

ryanruck

I just met with Frank Hoagland. Drove the dropside deuce to his house. Talked with him for about two hours. He said that the bill wasn't voted on because it was a bunch of shat. He said that it is being gutted and rewritten to be where you can plate them however you like. He said that he thinks that if someone wants to drive it to work every day they should be able to. He also said that he was wanting a Korean war or a Vietnam war era army jeep. I will give him a month or so before I stop back and pester him again.
Most awesome! Keep up the hard work! Sounds like we've got a solid ally in the Statehouse.

In a state where I can take a pile of tubing, a welder, and a drivetrain and build a street legal vehicle in my garage, there's no reason a HMMWV and all other MVs shouldn't be road legal.

Just tell him all we need to do is follow Kentucky's lead or, better yet, Idaho's. They've already done all the hard work for us.

And tell him I've got a friend in KY with an M38A1 that could potentially be persuaded to sell to satisfy his Jeep need. :mrgreen:

cucvmule

collector of stuff

Lets Hope he is a Man of is word, and not words.

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any update on the situation in Ohio?

Kwaligura

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have tomorrow off and plan on going back to talk to him again. I have been working alot. Trying to get enough money to get the metal roof done on my building. Want to turn half of it into a gun shop.

dmetalmiki

So let me get this straight. You paid her to change the title? Why would you do that in the first place. When she said she was going to change it you should have walked out with your paperwork in hand.
After taking headache tablets after reading this persons (self inflicted?)plight,
The next feeling was to fall over 'larfing!'..
But no, Just tell us WHY you paid the nice lady to Whitworth (or similar) 'You Over'.auaauaauaaua

dmetalmiki

So let me get this straight. You paid her to change the title? Why would you do that in the first place. When she said she was going to change it you should have walked out with your paperwork in hand.
After taking headache tablets after reading this persons (self inflicted?)plight,
The next feeling was to fall over 'larfing!'..
But no, Just tell us WHY you paid the nice lady to Whitworth (or similar) 'You Over'.

Kwaligura

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I decided to put plates on my 1970 M35A2 so I went up to the Cadiz Bmv and proceeded to get historical plates for it. When the question was asked, what is it? I said a deuce and a half. She said oh. We can't plate military vehicles. I asked how all of the Jeeps, motorcycles and trucks that were old military vehicles that I had seen in parades and shows were plated she got defensive. So I left and went to Frank Hoaglands house. He wasn't home but his wife said that I did need to talk to him about it. So he will be home tomorrow afternoon. I went to the Wintersville/Steubenville bmv and got my plates. They said no problem. Seems to me that some places are educated and some aren't.

Kwaligura

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of my friends just titled and registered a bobbed deuce that he bought from Boyce Equipment. He told me that he went to the Akron BMV because Cadiz gave him the same story they did me. I haven't seen Frank to talk to him about it. But Ohio Revised code 4503.181 states that any vehicle that was made for military purposes and is older than 25 years old is eligible for historical registration. It also states that you can paint the license plate numbers on the front and rear of the vehicle as long as the registration and plate is kept in the vehicle when operated on public roadways.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But Ohio Revised code 4503.181 states that any vehicle that was made for military purposes and is older than 25 years old is eligible for historical registration. It also states that you can paint the license plate numbers on the front and rear of the vehicle as long as the registration and plate is kept in the vehicle when operated on public roadways.
That's what I do and have for 11 years now...in Ohio. There are a number of people in the Preble County area that have MVs and the BMV in Eaton usually has their sh1t together. No problems. Now the stupid new driver's license is a different story. ;-)

Kwaligura

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree. They used to print your drivers license at the BMV, give it to you and ask if everything was correct. What do you do now when you get it in the mail and find out you no longer have a CDL or your endorsements are wrong?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks