• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator AUX fuel connections

smokem joe

All I have left is two for my personal use. Most of the generators I sold buyers wanted one. I sold them with the units for $100 since I was making my $ on the unit

LEOK

My used bung adapter arrive today, as I expect rubber is in fair bordering on poor, will grease it up and hope. Anybody know source for the rubber.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For casual use, it will probably work just fine. The down rod is immersed in the fuel, so the seal on the drum isn't that big of a deal... whether the seep hole in the adapter or a slight air leak at the bung adapter... so long as the down pipe is in fuel, its gonna pull.

LEOK

Interesting is when I went take it apart everything was already loose, handle screws, fuel fitting. Fair amount of rust on both threads of the bung head, which means it had been laying around with no hose connector or down tube. pipe tap will clean the up threads just fine. The two rubber parts were only glazed on their outer edges with no cracks, so I washed the years of dried diesel crudge off and drench them in silicone in a plastic bag to soak until get around to making the down tube. So I'm happy.

LEOK

So I found out how long the two pieces are, but I still don't know the length from bung hole plug bottom to end of pick-up tube. Now I know I can make my own measurements, but curious how far military stayed off the bottom, as a reference for making mine.

justicelee26

I found the perfect part to make your own aux hose with, it is 5/16 female JIC to hose barb. It screws directly on to the generator and connects to a 5/16 fuel line. This makes normal fuel line pretty much plug and play to any aux fuel tank and is for sale at discounthydrolichose.com

143-0508K | 5/16" Hose x 5/16" JIC 37°/SAE 45° Dual Seat Female Swivel

Sorry if someone else has already posted about this but I had a hard time finding a fitting when I first looked.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found the perfect part to make your own aux hose with, it is 5/16 female JIC to hose barb. It screws directly on to the generator and connects to a 5/16 fuel line. This makes normal fuel line pretty much plug and play to any aux fuel tank and is for sale at discounthydrolichose.com

143-0508K | 5/16" Hose x 5/16" JIC 37°/SAE 45° Dual Seat Female Swivel

Sorry if someone else has already posted about this but I had a hard time finding a fitting when I first looked.
Howdy,

That's looks like a plan.
Nice price for it too. Low pressure suction aux fuel line connector line will work nicely.

cuad4u

I live in the middle of nowhere. When the commercial power goes out, it often takes a week or longer for power to be restored.

I added a 75 gallon SS fuel tank on the front of the trailer that houses my MEP-003A. I connected the aux fuel pump on the 003A to the 75 gallon tank via a 3/8 inch fuel hose from NAPA. Now the 13.5 gallon "day tank" on the MEP-003A is refilled from the 75 gallon tank. When the 13.5 day tank on the 003A is full and when the 75 gallon tank is full, I can operate the 003A for 90-120 hours without adding any fuel.

I did not like the aux fuel pump on the 003A running all the time, when the day tank on the 003A only needs fuel every 12-16 hours. When the float in the day tank on the 003A calls for fuel, the solenoid on the aux fuel pump is opened until the aux pump refills the day tank which takes around 10-15 minutes. Then the float in the day tank closes the solenoid to stop the flow of fuel from the 75 gallon tank into the day tank. But for the next 12-16 hours the aux fuel pump is running in a "dead head" manner.

Not knowing the amp rating of the contacts on the float in the day tank, I did not risk damaging it. I bought a cube relay with a 24 VDC coil and with a single 30 amp normally open contact. It cost less than $10 at NAPA. I connected the 24 VDC from the contact in the float in the day tank to the 24 VDC coil in the relay. I connected one side of the normally open contact in the relay directly to 24 VDC. Then to the other side of the normally open contact in the relay, I connected the wire feeding 24 VDC to the aux fuel pump AND the wire feeding 24 VDC wire to the solenoid. Now when the float in the day tank calls for fuel to refill the day tank, the relay is activated and 24 VDC is sent to the aux fuel pump and to the fuel solenoid.

Now the aux fuel pump and the solenoid DO NOT OPERATE until the float in the day tank calls for fuel to refill the day tank. When the float in the day tank calls for fuel to refill the day tank which is 10-15 minutes every 12-16 hours, BOTH the aux fuel pump and the solenoid turn on. After the day tank is filled in 10-15 minutes BOTH the aux fuel pump and the solenoid shut down.

This may not be necessary but I like this because the aux fuel pump only runs when the day tank is filled and does not operate in a dead head condition as long as the 003A is operating. The same idea can be installed in the 002A.

Last edited:
Reactions: 98G

cbisson

FWIW I had an AUX hose made today at my local NAPA. It's a -5 JIC connector, the type used for hydraulic hoses on construction equipment. Same 37 deg. flare as on an AN. Had them attach the connector to 5ft of red 3/8 fuel line. Works 100% and cost 17 bucks. I have the original aux fuel hose that came with the generator but I can't bring myself to cutting the ty wraps. When I find / get one of the NATO style fuel bungs I'll get them to crimp a -4 JIC on the other end but for now I just stick the open end of the hose in the can.

Reactions: 98G

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, AN5 is equivalent to 5/16 JIC. I would personally find a step down threaded adapter (they are available online) to do what you want. That way you can always take it off if you need to run the OEM hose.

mciikurzroot

Supporting Vendor
I have several NEW original and unused hose sets complete $30.00 ea. I'll guess Fedex ground at 10-12.00 if shipping is less, ill refund the diff, if it's more i will absorbe that.. any payment form accepted, credit cards check paypal money order most any form i can make work.. thanx mac/mc

cbisson

I have several NEW original and unused hose sets complete $30.00 ea. I'll guess Fedex ground at 10-12.00 if shipping is less, ill refund the diff, if it's more i will absorbe that.. any payment form accepted, credit cards check paypal money order most any form i can make work.. thanx mac/mc
PM sent

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This may sound odd but anyone that knows me personally won't think so. :D

I bought a JIC to SPT adapter and for the hose I use a PVC water maker hose. They work great. The PVC is diesel resistant. If the hose gets ragged I just replace it with another one from Home Depot or Lowes for cheap $$.

An additional benefit is its thin diameter fits much easier down the filler neck for the truck. If I need to refill I can do it from the 40 gal tank on the truck in just a few minutes. Easy as pie.

The military hose will not do that trick.

mlaxton

The cheapest thing is probably going to be regular 3/8” or 5/16” fuel line. I use the regular 3/8” myself for testing purposes. Bought the AN to 3/8 barb adapter from Discounthydraulichose.com. Not too costly. I have the aux hoses too. Just keep them neat and tidy in the machines. If I needed that fitting fast, I would buy a -5 to #6 hose fitting and cut the outer crimp sleeve off. Force the regular hose on and use a hose clamp.
Where can I find -5 an hose ends? I have tried summit, jegs, Russell’s, vibrant lol

mlaxton

The cheapest thing is probably going to be regular 3/8” or 5/16” fuel line. I use the regular 3/8” myself for testing purposes. Bought the AN to 3/8 barb adapter from Discounthydraulichose.com. Not too costly. I have the aux hoses too. Just keep them neat and tidy in the machines. If I needed that fitting fast, I would buy a -5 to #6 hose fitting and cut the outer crimp sleeve off. Force the regular hose on and use a hose clamp.
Where can I get -5 an lines for stainless braided I have tried everywhere I can think of. I have the AUX fuel line but I’d rather leave it alone. It is to long for my needs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks