• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ultimate well nut repair

zarathustra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They did solve the fuel well nut leak problem at the drain hose fitting eventually. In my 2012 803a there simply isn't a drain line. The cutout in the gen frame is there, but the tank has no opening.
Interesting solution, but draining the tank could be fun.

zarathustra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the 802a well nut with a bulkhead nut.....

Went in through the fuel float hole since that was closest. I used one of those tie-ons y'all can buy at Home Depot. It worked 'cause I could form the tie to an approximate the shape to deliver the brass fitting to the hole.

If you notice in the picture, there is a sharp bend in the tie about 6 inches from the end. It sorta looks like a knot. That "knot" would not let the fitting pass so I could pull it through the hole in the tank by grasping the working end of the tie. I could also slip the washer and nut on to the fitting more easily and hold it tight to make putting the nut/ washer on.

Also used a grinder to relieve the sharp edges of the nut and to cut small notches on each of the hex flat spots. Used a screwdriver in each notch to turn the nut 'till I could reach the flat spots on the threads with a wernch.

I'm sure there are plenty of ways to do it, but this method made sense to me.

Attachments

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They did solve the fuel well nut leak problem at the drain hose fitting eventually. In my 2012 803a there simply isn't a drain line. The cutout in the gen frame is there, but the tank has no opening.
Interesting solution, but draining the tank could be fun.
You are lucky there is no drain, a definite weak spot in my opinion. For you to drain your set is easy. Disconnect the hard line from the top of the pump and fab up a short soft line with mating fitting. Use the fuel pump to empty the onboard tank into whatever container(s) work for you.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the 802a well nut with a bulkhead nut.....

Went in through the fuel float hole since that was closest. I used one of those tie-ons y'all can buy at Home Depot. It worked 'cause I could form the tie to an approximate the shape to deliver the brass fitting to the hole.

If you notice in the picture, there is a sharp bend in the tie about 6 inches from the end. It sorta looks like a knot. That "knot" would not let the fitting pass so I could pull it through the hole in the tank by grasping the working end of the tie. I could also slip the washer and nut on to the fitting more easily and hold it tight to make putting the nut/ washer on.

Also used a grinder to relieve the sharp edges of the nut and to cut small notches on each of the hex flat spots. Used a screwdriver in each notch to turn the nut 'till I could reach the flat spots on the threads with a wernch.

I'm sure there are plenty of ways to do it, but this method made sense to me.
Thats a smart way of doing it. I hate doing this fix. Ive used a brass coat hanger to pull them through before, straightened out with a T at the end behind the bulkhead fitting. I still hate the design, and the fact that they have to be screwed with.

Liberty 2701

I was only able able to locate one of the brass well nuts recommended here. I will use that in the lower drain hole. I am going to order the green mountain one for the upper hole. I will take one for the team, and let you know how it works out.

Liberty 2701

I installed the brass well nut recommended in this thread in the drain hole. I used the green mountain one in the upper hole. The green mountain one works but is complicated compared to the other and there is no groove for the o ring. I would stay with the one recommended in this thread. It is both cheaper and simpler if you can find it in stock. The wire trick was fantastic. I could not of done it with out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks