• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ultimate well nut repair

Triton

Finally got a chance to start on this well nut fix but I can't seem to find out where it is, do I have to remove the whole tank? I do see a well nut fitting on top of the tank but that shouldn't leak. After looking at some pictures on some post here I found a similar place on my 803 but there is no well nut (see pic). The hose that is connected to the fuel pump
comes from the top of the tank, I don't know where the fuel drain is connected.

IMG_0374.JPGIMG_0382.JPG

Zed254

Your first pic shows where the fuel tank drain is located on my MEP-802A - inside the engine compartment. That's where I pulled mine from. On an 803A the drain is located outside of the unit as shown in attached picture. Boatman69's first post was regarding his MEP-802A. I think this 'fix' will work on the 803 as well, but we've been discussing 802 TMs, pics, .....

Attachments

Last edited:

robson1015

Finally got a chance to start on this well nut fix but I can't seem to find out where it is, do I have to remove the whole tank? I do see a well nut fitting on top of the tank but that shouldn't leak. After looking at some pictures on some post here I found a similar place on my 803 but there is no well nut (see pic). The hose that is connected to the fuel pump

View attachment 705318View attachment 705319
Picture #2 is NOT the well nut....

robson1015

DSCF2209.jpgDSCF2213.jpgDSCF2223.jpg
On the right in the pictures...This is the one that is on top of the fuel tank where the fuel return line enters the tank...
The fuel drain well nut is on the right side of the unit. (oil filter side). I haven't measured the hole in the skid but you may have to hole saw the opening larger for the bulkhead hardware to fit.

Last edited:

Triton

Ok now its making sense, thanks for the help! I think it would be pretty hard for the 803 well nut to leak being on top of the tank, is it worth messing with it?

robson1015

The fuel drain well nut will definitely leak when it dry rots, I would change them both at the same time. There are two, one on the top for return line and one on the side(fuel drain).

robson1015

You don't have to remove the tank. You could run a piece of wire up through the fuel drain hole to the filler neck and slip the bulkhead fitting onto the wire and it will slide down the wire to the drain hole. Easier said than done but doable for sure.
I believe you can reach the return line fitting(top of fuel tank) by reaching into the fuel tank....

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member

Plaezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

The very first one I replaced was a top one, because when you fill the tank up, it can and will leak from the top well nut. Remember, fuel WILL expand or contract, according to the air temperature. AND if you drive around with it on a trailer, you WILL be surprised at the amount of fuel that can be sloshed around and out of this stupid thing.

View attachment 705318View attachment 705319
y

robson1015

Great job Triton. Looks like tight clearance for the socket to fit the nut but obviously it fit ok. Thanx for posting.
I would have been tempted to change the other one while it was all apart.

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did I read in a previous thread about this that said you also need to source a 3/4" washer to go with the bulkhead fitting?

fa35jsf

Anybody have another source for these? The website link on the first post is sold out. I just discovered mine has been leaking. Leaked about a gallon in the last month and a half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zed254

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got mine from Tank Depot... you have to call them for a shipping rate (their website is gonna take you over the coals). Each unit is ounces.. its still a rip off, but its how they make money on the part.

m32825

Did I read in a previous thread about this that said you also need to source a 3/4" washer to go with the bulkhead fitting?
Where do I look for a fancy yellow-colored 3/4" washer? Don't recall seeing those at the big box store, but maybe they live on an aisle I'm not familiar with. Would it be bad to use a galvanized washer with the brass fitting?

-- Carl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks