• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Debate about M998 from other thread

underdog

Ok we got in the middle of another thread.
So this thread will hopfully inlighten me and maybe others.
So far we have three posts on this subject.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
It is strange that the Geman WW II vehicle was built to protect from mines better than our HMMWV's It is hard to fight a war right if you don't learn from history. Maybe they can sell it to the Army....lol
underdog said:
The way i understood it the HMMWV's where put into service to replace the CUCV.
Which made/makes them a support vehicle not a front line vehicle.
Only thing i can figure is it looks better to the natives to see our troops in a truck, rather than in a proper combat recon vehicle.
AJMBLAZER said:
underdog said:
The way i understood it the HMMWV's where put into service to replace the CUCV.
Which made/makes them a support vehicle not a front line vehicle.
Only thing i can figure is it looks better to the natives to see our troops in a truck, rather than in a proper combat recon vehicle.
HMMWV was created to replace the M151 and various armed Jeeps still in service for front line and near front line use. They were too small for a lot of roles they were doing while deuce and a halfs were too big for other roles and meanwhile they had a menagerie of vehicles to maintain and keep supplies for. The CUCV replaced those.

The CUCV came on as a program to supplement the HMMWV in non-combat roles and do the jobs a HMMWV was not required for. A M880, M1008, or M1009 is a lot cheaper than a HMMWV so put the wear in tear on it running around base or pulling a small trailer in a convoy instead of a HMMWV that can be up front with the troops.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks