• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Start Issue on MEP-804B

Billy2642

bought a set of trailer mounted MEP-804B's with the Yanmar Turbo engine. First one only had 87 hours and once I put fresh fluids in it, started and runs great. Ended up selling it to a mobile BBQ food truck. The second set I'm having issues on. It only had 1000 hours on it. Put fresh fluids, batteries etc in it. Crank it with the dead crank and it will crank all day long no problem. Put dead crank in normal, pull emergency stop, depress fuse under panel. When I rotate the master switch to prime/run I hear the fuel pump like normal. Press to start and I just get a click from the relays under the panel and in the containment box. I tried leaving the master switch on prime/run and jump the starter and it cranks but won't run. I then had someone try to crank it from the master switch and don't hear the actuater on the injection pump. I hooked 24 volts directly to the actuater and jumped the starter and boom she fired right off. If I can figure out the no crank using the master switch, I'm thinking maybe the inj pump actuater issue may also be fixed. Anyone have this issue?

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
check the ohms on the crank sensor

same thing happened to me on my 804a, can mechanically open the inj pump with a skrewdriver, and it would run and shut down on its own, no hertz adjustment tho.

adjusted the crank sensor 3 times, and finally followed the directions exactly and has worked perfectly since.

Last edited:

Billy2642

check the ohms on the crank sensor

same thing happened to me on my 804a, can mechanically open the inj pump with a skrewdriver, and it would run and shut down on its own, no hertz adjustment tho.

adjusted the crank sensor 3 times, and finally followed the directions exactly and has worked perfectly since.
The engine would still at least crank though if it was just the magnetic pickup. Mine just clicks when I try to start it with the master switch. If I jump the starter solenoid or use the dead crank, it will turn the engine all day so I know it's not my batteries. I thought maybe the issue was the master switch but it turns the fuel pump and everything on like normal.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an 805b that had loose wires on one of the tb's that went to the master switch, check those. almost sounds like a starter relay, i think it is different than the other relays, might check the parts manual, make sure some army mechanic wasnt monkey'ing around with relays.

Billy2642

I have an 805b that had loose wires on one of the tb's that went to the master switch, check those. almost sounds like a starter relay, i think it is different than the other relays, might check the parts manual, make sure some army mechanic wasnt monkey'ing around with relays.
I'll try this when it cools down a little bit and report back. I have an 805a parts machine. I'll go see if it still has the relays in it and the same master switch and just try switching them out of cleaning the contacts doesn't work

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greetings. Anyone have a link to MEP 804B manuals? Currently having an issue of engine cranks but no start. Merci'
If you want help other than manuals, start another thread as to not hijack this one, new threads are free today

ROTZINGER

Hey guys! I have a similar problem, I was having very fluctuating hz and I noticed that if you moved a wire in the governor it would stabilize the hz, and then finally one day the gen shot down so I changed the governor for a new one BUT now the gen won't start! It will crank and if you manually move the actuator lever it will start but it seems like the whole control system is not working. While it's "manually" being kept running, if you turn the switch to run again, before you would get the generator to start generating but now you can hear the starter motor grinding and wanting to engage. I'm thinking the generator still thinks it's off! Any ideas on where I should start looking? Thanks a lot!!

Guyfang

Staff member
Do you have the TM's? Have you looked at them? How do you know the "new" governor, is new? Whats the part number on the New and Old governor? Have you checked the Mag Pickup? Are you 1000% sure you hooked up the Governor right? Really, it would be best to start your own thread, instead of hijacking this one.

ROTZINGER

Do you have the TM's? Have you looked at them? How do you know the "new" governor, is new? Whats the part number on the New and Old governor? Have you checked the Mag Pickup? Are you 1000% sure you hooked up the Governor right? Really, it would be best to start your own thread, instead of hijacking this one.
Sorry! I didn't mean to! I'm not familiar with the forum etiquette... I'll start a new thread now.
I have parts of the tm's but not all of them :(, I don't have the part number at hand but I made sure it was exactly the same, also I did make sure the connections are exact. How do I check the mag pickup/where is it?
Thanks a million!

Guyfang

Staff member
All the TM's you need are in the SS TM Forum. Look at the top of the page and find "Technical Manuals". Click on it. Then go to "TM upload Section" or "Generators and Electrical TM's". I just uploaded the books, and a moderator needs to move them from the upload section to the Generator section. So look both places. Then look for the Model number MEP-804B. The files have all the books you need, and one or two you don't, as I screwed up the TM upload. OH well. There is some other threads in the TM Forum concerning governors and other info on the MEP-804B. LOOK through the whole generator TM forum, to make sure you get everything.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks