• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any logic in when and where which color was used?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reading Dave Doyles appendix on coloring and marking and reading a ton of threads here, I realized my original ideas about which color to paint my truck were horrible naive even taking in account that the military never is known for its logic on important issues.

I thought that at least throughout one service, in a given period there was some kind of consistency of color, allowing for where the trucks would be deployed. Like tan for desert, white for arctic and one standard version of green for almost everything else (Not talking camo here yet). These trucks might go to the different forces or units, but they all came out of only two or three factories, so you would expect a standard "green" for all vehicles.

However, it seems that even in the 1950s-early 1970s (period I am looking at), there were several variations of "green" on green trucks. Did this follow any logic or reason? I mean, why having numerous variations of forest green, OD, etc, etc, in semi-gloss or matt or whatever?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks