• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recognition & Fund for "Harvey Rescue/Support" SS Members

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I received a PM from SS Member "CMPPhil" this morning and he had what I thought was an excellent idea. He wanted to nominate everyone who helped/is helping in the relief effort after Hurricane Harvey left such a horrible mess for MV of the Month.

I thought that was an excellent idea but told him the efforts are still ongoing and the participants may not have time or the ability to respond AND, it should not be a competition as they are all "winners" in our eyes.

SO....I took Phil's idea to the ADMIN, patracy and this is what we came up with:

There will be no "MV of the Month Nomination Thread" for October and no "Vote/POLL Thread". Instead, patracy or I will start a "Hurricane Harvey Relief Recognition Thread"....or whatever he decides the title should be around the 1st of October and end on the 31st.

This will allow time for all or most of the participants to get settled back in at home and maybe post pics of their efforts and maybe a little of their stories/experiences. There will be no competition, just recognition.

Patracy will try to post a rotating collection of trucks used in the effort and they will all be winners for the month of October.

We will just have to figure it out as we go along and special thanks to Phil (CMPPhil) for starting the ball rolling.:beer:

Oh...and this month's competition continues as scheduled.:beer:

PLEASE SEE POST #8 for DONATION OPTIONS

Last edited by a moderator:

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about starting a relief fund for those trucks? This way everyone can contribute a little
to help with the cost of the necessary after action maintenance which is not trivial for
any truck that waded thru that water?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
What about starting a relief fund for those trucks? This way everyone can contribute a little
to help with the cost of the necessary after action maintenance which is not trivial for
any truck that waded thru that water?
Not speaking for SS....just me. I wouldn't mind chipping in but I'd rather not be in charge of it as I have done similar things in the past and it can get kinda hairy getting the funds in and out where they need to be!

I don't think the folks were looking for rewards or reimbursement (or recognition), rather they just wanted to help any way they can/could.

I'll certainly participate if a willing member gets the ball rolling.:beer:

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I totally agree with your assesment papabear:
"I don't think the folks were looking for rewards or reimbursement (or recognition), rather they just wanted to help any way they can/could.

I'll certainly participate if a willing member gets the ball rolling. "

AndyT

I speak just for me on this, maybe others will feel the same. I'm just a quiet fella not big on recognition, just wanted to get out there and do the right thing . As far as a collection, the Lord has blessed me and I do not require the assistance (although the gesture is very heartwarming and appreciated). If something like that were to begin, I would ask that any portion set aside for me be donated to a charity of the donors choosing (or SS collectively) or to an SS member that may truly need it.

As far as waiting for everyone to settle back to regular life , I agree. I thought I was done Wednesday when it stopped raining.. boy I was wrong. No more 12 14 hour days but I have been out 4 to 6 hours everyday since Thursday. I haul trash out of neighbor hoods if need. So much is needed out there still AND there is still 4+ feet of water in areas around town.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I speak just for me on this, maybe others will feel the same. I'm just a quiet fella not big on recognition, just wanted to get out there and do the right thing . As far as a collection, the Lord has blessed me and I do not require the assistance (although the gesture is very heartwarming and appreciated). If something like that were to begin, I would ask that any portion set aside for me be donated to a charity of the donors choosing (or SS collectively) or to an SS member that may truly need it.

As far as waiting for everyone to settle back to regular life , I agree. I thought I was done Wednesday when it stopped raining.. boy I was wrong. No more 12 14 hour days but I have been out 4 to 6 hours everyday since Thursday. I haul trash out of neighbor hoods if need. So much is needed out there still AND there is still 4+ feet of water in areas around town.
I sincerely believe that God has blessed you not only with assets but also with a good clean heart. That's what America is all about...take what you need when God provides and share the rest as needed...including your own time.

Of course you will need some time at home and maybe some "personal time" to process what you have been a part of...and that's a colossal effort in my opinion.

All we want to do is offer a sincere THANK YOU and maybe a little recognition for you and the others as well as your vehicles. Those of us who could not be a part of the effort want to share whatever experiences you care to let us in on and in return, we want to show you how much you and the other folks are appreciated.

:papabear:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Members: CARNAC and Elijah95 are hereby NOMINATED !

As for making SUPPORT DONATIONS.....

Firefox has already made that suggestion to me. (THANK YOU, Sir.) I have had a very busy holiday weekend, and am just now clearing my inbox. Let's get this ball rolling!

Anyone wishing to make supporting donations to those who have given of their own resources may do so in one of two ways....

OPTION 1. You can contact the volunteering member directly and get their delivery preference - snail mail, PayPal, GoFundMe or other funds transfer method.

OPTION 2. You can send funds in to the STEEL SOLDIERS BENEVOLENCE FUND for general distribution to those who would request a "grant" or "reimbursement" as funds become available. (Link to the SSBF can be found below in my Signature Block.) Please specify HARVEY FUND on any donations intended for that purpose.

Those who have participated in rescue and aftermath activities may submit requests for reimbursement by PMing me. Funds will be distributed as fairly as possible and in as timely a manner as donations permit.

The COMMUNITY CHEST IS OPEN - please give as you feel appropriate.

(As always - 100% of the funds will be distributed - NO OVERHEAD will be withheld.)

Last edited:

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sent my little bit in via PayPal thanks to the chaplin for stting this up
and the encouragement by papabear. Hopefully this will encourage others
like myself who want to help but don't have a lot. Every little bit helps.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know what I would like to see our organization to pick someone in Texas that has lost everything and all the members come together and try to help put thier life back on track.
If we have 78k members and we all donate 2 bucks we could rebuild someone's house.
It's a thought! What say you?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aw shoot, I was just planning on working my behind off to get my M51 ready for the October MV of the month. Now I have to find another motivation.

Whatever. Great idea.

Maybe put a big bowl during the GA rally out at the registration as well? This is not going to be solved in a few days!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Aw shoot, I was just planning on working my behind off to get my M51 ready for the October MV of the month. Now I have to find another motivation.

Whatever. Great idea.

Maybe put a big bowl during the GA rally out at the registration as well? This is not going to be solved in a few days!
That just gives you a little extra time to get the M51 ready for November!! Maybe I'll nominate my ratty ole M51 so folks can tell how much better yours is!!:papabear:

Oh...and I'm sending out a snail mail donation to "CHAPPY" today because I don't do paypal etc. I've been swamped lately but I think today is the day I'll have a few minutes to: :grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks