• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going to Florida

Autocharge

c/p "Ordered a alternator waiting for it to arrive today install on Sunday trying to go to Enterprise Alabama looking for support vehicles to Convoy with once in the staging area will deploy to Florida to support efforts with the hurricane Irwin"

Up date : parts did not come in. Still planning on going it all depends on when I get this alternator installed. This will be the longest trip I have ever attempted with this truck. I'm a little apprehensive about it. Is their anyone along the I20 from Dallas to Montgomery Alabama That could provide support if needed?

Autocharge

Last edited by a moderator:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Good idea going into a hazardous area with an unknown vehicle. WHy not help others in Tx?

Last edited:

Autocharge

Once the alternator is replaced there are no other known issues with the vehicle you are correct it is a very long drive hence the concerns I have packed items for minor repairs and have a heavy tow bar in the back jumper cables and other items. I did perform rescue operations in Houston for one week. Had some minor repair issues brought the truck back had it serviced and it should be good to go now I just like having backup available

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess with Gimpys way of the thinking we should never go to space with a piece of equipment that hasn't been use for that duration before.

74M35A2

No, he is saying don't take a space shuttle to space that is 25 years old and was auctioned off at the end of its life for peanuts above scrap value.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well still the shuttle has to make that first trip based on on good equipment but also blind faith that it would work. And as always with anything man made things it does and will break.
If you don't risk anything you gain nothing.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The main thing is that you be part of the rescue instead of having to rescued yourself and become part of the problem.

Autocharge

I made it to Houston and back twice. It wasn't pretty but I made it. I was in 4 foot of water for 3 to 4 days. With a little bit of maintenance I hope she has proven her battle readiness. I just don't want to be stranded on the side of I20 for long. Worse case get towed anywhere but the side of the road. Maybe even a day or two to order parts and go again. If you're not Part of the solution You're part of the problem in a disaster area. There's no in between. If I can make it to the staging area I should be in good shape to go into the destar area and Help some people like I did in Houston. No I only ordered one alternator(water proof, shuts down when wet and on again after it drys out). UPS didn’t deliver it on Saturday, hoping it will get here monday. I was hoping to find people on this forum along my route that would be able to help me out if I get in a jam.

Autocharge
Ps. From the Earth to Mars and back. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moderator Note: Please allow your posts to go to the Forums using the STANDARD FONT COLOR for maximum readability on all platforms. The BLACK is just not adequately contrasted for the PC-based background color. Use the "automatic" color pallet selection.

c/p "Ordered a alternator waiting for it to arrive today install on Sunday trying to go to Enterprise Alabama looking for support vehicles to Convoy with once in the staging area will deploy to Florida to support efforts with the hurricane Irwin"

Up date : parts did not come in. Still planning on going it all depends on when I get this alternator installed. This will be the longest trip I have ever attempted with this truck. I'm a little apprehensive about it. Is their anyone along the I20 from Dallas to Montgomery Alabama That could provide support if needed?

Autocharge

Thank you for initiating such a livid discussion.

Getting back to one of your original questions..... (Made BOLD in your quoted post.)

The MEMBER MAP is your friend. The BUTTON for the MEMBER MAP can be found in the bar near the top of every SS Forum webpage. Once there, first place a PIN at YOUR LOCATION (Caution: Once placed it CANNOT BE MOVED so place it in the right place the first time.)

Then, trace your route and send a PM to any Members who might be along that route. Include your contact information and schedule, ask for theirs, AND don't forget to specify what type of MV you'll be traveling in. Ask if they can standby for support as needed.

This is how networking on the SS Forums is simplified. DO NOT depend on any of those members to necessarily SEE this thread. They may never notice it. HENCE, the need for YOU to make contact with them.

While the input others are providing will be invaluable to you, I hope this answers one of your original questions.

Vaya con Dios!

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There is lots of folks on here that would give their shirt off their back to help out. I would not think twice about heading out. I have never been stranded more then a few hours, multiple times.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The main thing is that you be part of the rescue instead of having to rescued yourself and become part of the problem.
First rule of disaster relief : "NEVER SELF DEPLOY" , always go where you are sent, by some group or authority, and have a way to check in with them every four hours or so of your journey (movement phase) to see if conditions have changed. There are literally hundreds of groups that work in disaster relief, join up with one of them. Team Rubicon is composed of veterans (think mechanics for your truck), I am associated with SC Baptist Convention DR and have been trained in three areas by them, and also work as the medic on my local church's chainsaw DR team. Lots of others out there. Find one that fits your personality and join them.

74M35A2

No power for 5.6 million peeps or so. Take enough fuel and food to go in and out. Lock your own supplies, people will turn once the power has been out for several days. At one day out, fridges are still cold, etc... Cell towers are battery back up, but for 2 days or less. I'm not much of a gun person, but in this situation......

Autocharge

I received the alternator today but it's the wrong part. Doesn't fit my truck even with the Adaptive brackets. I have a dual V belt pulley it came with the serpentine belt pulle​y. Looks like a bridge too far , Most likely I'm not going to be able to respond in the same manner I did in Houston. Thanks to everyone that gave valuable inputs .Autocharge

Last edited:

Autocharge

Turns out it was my fault when I bought the truck according to the auction site it was 8.3 L Cummins diesel engine truth is it's a 250 diesel engine by Cummings so I gave the company the wrong information hence the wrong brackets they are overnighting me the correct brackets And pulley so we will see stay tuned.​

Last edited:

Autocharge

I took the truck into a truck repair place they inspected the differentials got all the water out of them and Fill the differentials with grease regreased all the zert fittings on the chassis wheel bearings drive shafts the winch. check for water in the engine oil there was none. Repaired the snorkel which had taken on water by replacing the rubber boots on the manifold and the snorkel pipe by the air filter, put a new air filter in it. Added vent lines to the differentials , Ran them up to the top of the snorkel.
Autocharge

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a recent thread discussing post fording expense.

Could you tell us what they charged you?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks