Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: MEP-803a : AirTex fuel pump substitution

Colonel
    Thanks

They must make the pumps then.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,860 Times in 1,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guyfang View Post
    Haven't been looking in here for a few days. What were you researching, when you looked for FSCM 72850? The definition of FSCM is listed below. Its the gov way of giving every company that supply's parts to the Gov, a name, without using THE NAME. It in itself, can not lead you to parts for anything. Its simply the manufacturers, or suppliers name. Below the definition, is the FSCM and the name of the company that supplies the part.

c. FSCM (Column (3)). The Federal Supply Code for
    Manufacturer (FSCM) is a 5-digit numeric code which is used to
    identify the manufacturer, distributor, or Government agency, etc.,
    that supplies the item.

72850 Eclipse Machine Division of Bendix Aviation Corp.

Could be.

But notice Distribute, mentioned in the definition. Sometimes, one company starts the ball off, by making the pump. Another company designs a system, or sub system of the gen set. Like the Fuel system. They come up with a complete, from the tank to the IP fuel system. Rare is it that anything is designed just for this application. Its all off the shelf parts. Another company wins the contract to produce the gen set. Another company wins the contract to Supply the Gov with Repair parts to maintain the gen set over a certain time period. As you can see, there is room for lots of folks to get involved. So while the FSCM listed in the book is often the producer of the part, its not always so. Sometimes its the distributor. Not always the same. And the longer a system is around, the more likely its a distributor. A company goes belly up. A company is sold to another company. When ever you see, (in power generation) that the 30554 FSCM for a part listed in the book, don't even bother with looking up the 30554 FSCM. Its for the Department of Defense, Project Manager-Mobile Electric Power, (MEP) and it means that there is no current supplier, until the MEP puts out another contract for that part. MEP can, and will contract for a few parts, or a bunch, as they see fit. Thats why I keep parts TM's that go back 20 years, or more. If you are lucky, the FSCM for a part manufacture is in an old book.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Guyfang For This Useful Post:

Light in the Dark (01-13-2019)

Colonel
    Thanks

Just received my E1074 Airtex pump a week earlier than there revised date so they are now in stock at Summit Racing.
    mep803A [sold], MEP803A, MEP831A, MEP831A

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dav5 For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (01-13-2019)

Colonel
    Thanks

I will probably run out to grab one of those as a spare sometime. Helps that Summit Racing is only 20 minutes away!

Colonel
    Thanks

Or you could blow a whole lot of cash and buy a suspect 40193 Facet from Green Mountain for $243 plus shipping
    mep803A [sold], MEP803A, MEP831A, MEP831A

Colonel
    Thanks

Ha! I'd have a hard time paying their price for anything! It would have to be a desperate situation. I can understand making a profit and staying in business as I run a business myself. Being 2 to 3 times higher than market price is completely different.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smokem joe For This Useful Post:

69birdman (Yesterday), Guyfang (01-14-2019)

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9