• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803a : AirTex fuel pump substitution

Guyfang

Staff member
MOUNTING TYPENONSTANDARD
MOUNTING HOLE QUANTITY2
ACTUATION METHODELECTROMAGNETIC
FORDING FEATURENOT INCLUDED
MAXIMUM DISCHARGE FLOW RATE0 1/20 GALLONS PER MINUTE
MOUNTING CONFIGURATION2 HOLES 180 DEG APART
MOUNTING HOLE SPACING2 12/25 IN.MIN 2 29/50 IN.MAX C TO C
GROUND POLARITY TYPENEGATIVE
VACUUM BOOSTERNOT INCLUDED
FUEL FILTERNOT INCLUDED
PRIMING LEVERNOT INCLUDED
INLET CONNECTION TYPE/SIZEFUEL 1/4-18 NPTF
OUTLET CONNECTION TYPE/SIZEFUEL 1/4-18 NPTF
DRAIN FACILITYNOT INCLUDED
CRITICALITY CODE JUSTIFICATIONFEAT
VOLTAGE IN VOLTS24
SPECIAL FEATURESWEAPON SYSTEM ESSENTIAL
TERMINAL TYPE AND QUANTITY2 WIRE LEAD

The plot thickens. I asked someone to look this number, (40913) up for me. It is listed with a NSN of 2910-01-378-6025, part number 88-20192. The info above is whats listed for the new NSN. Purolator also provided this pump to the Army. The only problem is, that when you plug in the new NSN in E-PAY, it comes up as a fuel pump for the 802 and 803A gen sets.

So, I have to tell you, I am stumped.

dav5

Wow thanks Guys, I knew the nsn's weren't the same but it also looks like the specs are not compatible. Everything on the 831A seems to be higher pressure than the 803A

smokem joe

MOUNTING TYPENONSTANDARD
MOUNTING HOLE QUANTITY2
ACTUATION METHODELECTROMAGNETIC
FORDING FEATURENOT INCLUDED
MAXIMUM DISCHARGE FLOW RATE0 1/20 GALLONS PER MINUTE
MOUNTING CONFIGURATION2 HOLES 180 DEG APART
MOUNTING HOLE SPACING2 12/25 IN.MIN 2 29/50 IN.MAX C TO C
GROUND POLARITY TYPENEGATIVE
VACUUM BOOSTERNOT INCLUDED
FUEL FILTERNOT INCLUDED
PRIMING LEVERNOT INCLUDED
INLET CONNECTION TYPE/SIZEFUEL 1/4-18 NPTF
OUTLET CONNECTION TYPE/SIZEFUEL 1/4-18 NPTF
DRAIN FACILITYNOT INCLUDED
CRITICALITY CODE JUSTIFICATIONFEAT
VOLTAGE IN VOLTS24
SPECIAL FEATURESWEAPON SYSTEM ESSENTIAL
TERMINAL TYPE AND QUANTITY2 WIRE LEAD

The plot thickens. I asked someone to look this number, (40913) up for me. It is listed with a NSN of 2910-01-378-6025, part number 88-20192. The info above is whats listed for the new NSN. Purolator also provided this pump to the Army. The only problem is, that when you plug in the new NSN in E-PAY, it comes up as a fuel pump for the 802 and 803A gen sets.

So, I have to tell you, I am stumped.
Looking at the images in fleabay for this part number the lines do look like 1/4" for the 831 instead of the 3/8" for the 802 or 803. Looks could be deceiving though.

dav5

Green mountain generators is selling the Facet 40193 as a part for the 803A/802A. Also a guy on Ebay is too. Maybe they are compatible.

Zed254

I've been looking for an airtex sub based on the specs: can't find it due to that 30psi value. But looking over my parts notes I have the Facet 40193 as the original main fuel pump for our 802/803 machines and I've seen reports of success with the Airtex E8131 substitution. This jives with what Guy found with the new NSN number going back to the 802/803 family. I would try the E1074 or E8131 from Airtex: same pumps we use on the 802/803 machines.

dav5

I am going to order a E1074 as a spare for the 803A anyway so I may try it in the 831A just to prove a point. Now that winter has finally arrived though it will probably be in the spring. On the other hand now that I am retired I may be looking for something interesting to do.

Ray70

Whenever you guys buy spare pumps to keep on-hand for emergencies, make sure you check your inlet/outlet location and fitting sizes to be sure you won't need any adapters/fittings to make the pump fit. Depending on which style pump you are replacing, the inlet and outlets may be reversed and the old pump may have a right angle outlet built into the pump. The military used a short extension tube to compensate for the inlet/outlet swap when switching from the square to round body. So you may need either a 45 or 90 degree flare adapter or possibly an NPT x flare adapter if you are trying to reuse the in-line fuel strainer ( looks like a little filter screwed into the pump )
Just look at your configuration closely to ensure you have everything you need to make it fit, then put it all in one box for when the time comes!

Guyfang

Staff member
Whenever you guys buy spare pumps to keep on-hand for emergencies, make sure you check your inlet/outlet location and fitting sizes to be sure you won't need any adapters/fittings to make the pump fit. Depending on which style pump you are replacing, the inlet and outlets may be reversed and the old pump may have a right angle outlet built into the pump. The military used a short extension tube to compensate for the inlet/outlet swap when switching from the square to round body. So you may need either a 45 or 90 degree flare adapter or possibly an NPT x flare adapter if you are trying to reuse the in-line fuel strainer ( looks like a little filter screwed into the pump )
Just look at your configuration closely to ensure you have everything you need to make it fit, then put it all in one box for when the time comes!
You can relate this right back to the alternator head rotation "problem". It's always good to take a new part in the hand, if your not real familiar with it, and compare it to the original. This sometimes saves you much stress and work. Because when you NEED to fix something RIGHT now to get the lights back on NOW, you tend to not notice small little things like it just doesn't fit, until it dosnt fit. By then you are into stage two panic, and it can go south fast from there.

dav5

I reached out to Facet/Purolator and received a reply from Paul Puleo National sales manager. I asked if they had a pump with the same specs as the 40193. He informed me that I could buy the 40193 from J&N Electric. I advised him that I would prefer a pump that is still in production. He replied that it still is in production but can only be purchased from J&N Electric. The 40193 is not listed in the Facet/Purolator catalogue. This is getting weird.

Also I ordered the E1074 pump from Summit for my 803A and they advised their delivery date is now Jan 22 so it will be shipped to customers after that if it doesn't get delayed again.

Last edited:

dav5

OK thanks Kurt that makes a lot more sense. I should have read your previous post with more care. I see now you made that clear then.

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because when you NEED to fix something RIGHT now to get the lights back on NOW, you tend to not notice small little things like it just doesn't fit, until it dosnt fit. By then you are into stage two panic, and it can go south fast from there.
Indeed. The human element is sometimes forgotten when everything is going A-OK.

dav5

I just talked to the local Yanmar service mechanic. He said he has never put a relacement pump in a Yanmar engine that was above 5-7 lbs and that there is no way a 30lb pump is necessary. In many situations the L70 is just gravity fed. Interesting.

smokem joe

Ok here is some more info to muddy the waters. I'm working on an 802 with a dead fuel pump now. I figured I'd give this a shot since the 802 still had the old style faucet pump on it. I offered the seller $70 and they took it. I know, more than the Airtex pump, but I was curious about this pump. Got the pump in the mail today. Stamped on the back of the mounting flange is FSCM72850. Researching this number leads to 831 parts. Who knows, this could be the correct pump. When I get time I will fire this up on a pressure gauge and see what I come up with

Zed254

I can assure you what I have on my bench is not a fuel filter! The mystery continues!
No doubt!!! I'm as confused as everyone else. You mentioned the 831 so I started looking around the TM and that is the info I found corresponding to the numbers stamped on your square Facet fuel pump. Interesting mystery.....

Guyfang

Staff member
Ok here is some more info to muddy the waters. I'm working on an 802 with a dead fuel pump now. I figured I'd give this a shot since the 802 still had the old style faucet pump on it. I offered the seller $70 and they took it. I know, more than the Airtex pump, but I was curious about this pump. Got the pump in the mail today. Stamped on the back of the mounting flange is FSCM72850. Researching this number leads to 831 parts. Who knows, this could be the correct pump. When I get time I will fire this up on a pressure gauge and see what I come up with

Haven't been looking in here for a few days. What were you researching, when you looked for FSCM 72850? The definition of FSCM is listed below. Its the gov way of giving every company that supply's parts to the Gov, a name, without using THE NAME. It in itself, can not lead you to parts for anything. Its simply the manufacturers, or suppliers name. Below the definition, is the FSCM and the name of the company that supplies the part.

c. FSCM (Column (3)). The Federal Supply Code for
Manufacturer (FSCM) is a 5-digit numeric code which is used to
identify the manufacturer, distributor, or Government agency, etc.,
that supplies the item.

72850 Eclipse Machine Division of Bendix Aviation Corp.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks