• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving a newly acquired deuce cross country KY->OR

lokkju

A friend recently needed a new daily driver, and I had an extra vehicle out east, so we swapped. I'm now driving the beast home.

The friend had installed a fresh brake master cylinder and steering column/box before I picked up the thing, and the only real problem I've had so far is the throttle linkage falling off - quickly repaired with a new bolt.

In the annoyances category, the steering isn't adjusted at all and the truck does *not* like to turn left; and it looks like the thermostat sending unit has decided to fail - the gauge on the dash now reads 240+, even when I first turn it on in the morning.

In St Paul, MN today, having a bit of a break - any suggestions on where I might be able to pick up a new thermostat sending unit (assuming it's not a short), heading west from St Paul, would be welcome. It'd be a huge bonus to find someone who can help adjust the steering properly during a quick stop too.

800 miles down, 1700 to go!

Last edited:

Rmtaunton

Wow congrats , I am a fan of a self driving recovery it's a memory you and your ass will never forget !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lokkju

So one thing that made no sense to me. Up until about Idaho, pedal to the metal would never get above 56MPH/2600RPM. Then, at some point near the Oregon border, all of a sudden, the deuce would start pegging out the speedo and trying to climb into the 2700-2800 RPM range, even going up hills - was sort of annoying, since I had to pay more attention. I'm figuring either different fuel composition, altitude, or possibly how smokey the air was (all the forest fires, more carbon in the air?!)

cheepsk8

I wish I could have seen this a couple of days ago. I could of cheered you on as you passed by! What else did you learn about that road trip you can teach to others on their first recovery?

lokkju

I came at this from a real newbie standpoint, first time with a deuce, or any big truck, really. I trusted the guy I got it from when he said he hadn't been having any problems - if you aren't sure you can trust that, maybe run fast and far.

I guess a random list would be...

- when someone says they have "fixed" something, but also said they haven't looked at the TM, don't believe it (steering)
- bring a step ladder. getting into the engine compartment without it is a joke
- truck stops are your friend. travel stops aren't truck stops.
- some states require you to stop at the scales (who knew?...)
- don't forget your tools, bailing wire, or duct tape
- hearing protection really is required. over-ear is best.
- get a gel seat pad (at least). this is as important as hearing protection
- having done it once, not sure I'd do it again. at least not without thinking a lot more about it.

Honestly, it was a long trip, but very few problems. The ones that did occur were easily fixed with the TM and a stop at a tractor supply store.

Jericho

Have done a few recoveries, YOUR ONE LUCKY FELLA !!!! 2600 to 2800 rpm, not good 2500 max really like 2350 and then your engine will stay YOUR ENGINE . WELCOME !!!!

Jericho

Humm weigh scales , Not sure , good point, I have an M 109A3 and M931A2 with a forty foot box, I run with no CDL, I am a private citizen not for hire and I don't stop at Scales , But don't leave NH VT . Will have to look it up Don't know if I should stop, I know I don't have to here WOW don't know

cheepsk8

The coops at the West bound lane of I90 at the Sd/Mn border say for all vehicles over 8 (iirc) thousand pounds must enter. I think the one on I90 Eastbound between Sturgis and Rapid are the same way. I've gone past both with my pickup pulling a trailer and never been bothered.

BrassBuilder

The coops at the West bound lane of I90 at the Sd/Mn border say for all vehicles over 8 (iirc) thousand pounds must enter. I think the one on I90 Eastbound between Sturgis and Rapid are the same way. I've gone past both with my pickup pulling a trailer and never been bothered.
Rental trucks must stop at the MN/SD border one too. I am guessing UHAUL trucks are included. I've driven past in my Suburban and a UHAUL trailer without any problems.

dmetalmiki

You should have perused the performance figures before trying your best to destroy the engine.
As said you are rather fortunate..As, If the governor had been set incorrectly or for any other reason the limiter was not working, It sounds you would have quite happily soared up to 11000 rpm (or so!). And decorated the highway with metal things just before hitting 80 MPH. What were you expecting?. (thinking).
Manuals state Maximum Governed speed 56MPH.
RPM (depending on engine model) 2600 to (2800 on the LDS engine).

Last edited:

m109a2

I self recovered my deuce,Drove it from North Carolina to Southern Louisiana never went over 2300 but I must add that convoy lights were in play when you are hitting a steep one the lights just say hey buddy it is not going to any better go around.I planned my trip to hit the big cities in the middle of the night when I could.This will help you driving a unfamiliar truck through unfamiliar territory.Before I flew out I ordered a keyed battery switch and keyed door handles from Tmg and bought a IF thermometer to check your hubs every fuel stop. Already had chain welded to floorboard. For steering. the only problem I had was a flat with driver rear outside tire I noticed it and drove 35 miles to a truck stop Try that with a bobber

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks