• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP803 Newbie, need advice

snider

Hi, I just purchased a MEP-803a genset with 510 hours after the reset from GL and new to the SS site. I have a few questions so I hope it ok to ask them all here.

1. My main concern is what do I need to look out for maintenance, upkeep and problems prone to this genset? I know the obvious oil, filters and such. I have preformed my version of load banking. After warm up, I ran 30% load for 30 min, 60% load for 30 min, then 90% load for 1 hour.

https://youtu.be/iHy3F_CAi_w

2. I plan to drain the antifreeze and replace with new. should I worry about changing the thermostat?

3. Batteries. I know they originally have the optima red top batteries. Are regular led acid batteries ok? that's what I put in.

4. Oil, I currently using Rotella T6 Full Synthetic. OK?

Any input will be welcomed. I am planning to put on a slab of concrete to be used as a house backup generator.

thanks,

Last edited:

fpchief

Did it come with the operator TM? If not, get it and read it well. Also the -20 (i believe) for all of the fluid concerns. I just got mine a few months ago and replaced all filters and fluids. It does not have to be on a slab since it has the skid underneath it but what i did was place a slab of solid blocks and then put the heavy stable matting under it. The batteries i got were exide batteries from TSC.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

NATCAD

Did it come with the operator TM? If not, get it and read it well. Also the -20 (i believe) for all of the fluid concerns. I just got mine a few months ago and replaced all filters and fluids. It does not have to be on a slab since it has the skid underneath it but what i did was place a slab of solid blocks and then put the heavy stable matting under it. The batteries i got were exide batteries from TSC.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
What was the part number for the exide batteries?

Looks like you got a good runner and a nice trailer!

robertsears1

I would suggest holding the knob in start a little longer than in your video. I have a 003a and I must hold it around 15 seconds or it shuts off upon release (probably longer than normal). My 002 can be released in around 5 seconds. On my 804a and b generators, I hold the knob until the oil pressure is up. Sometimes, if released too quickly, MEP generators will either shut down from oil pressure not up yet or it will not excite the field and you get no juice.

Robert

snider

I hold the knob until the oil pressure is up. Sometimes, if released too quickly, MEP generators will either shut down from oil pressure not up yet or it will not excite the field and you get no juice.

Robert[/QUOTE]

Oh, ok, I have noticed if it has not been started for a few days it will shut right down right after it starts. thanks!!

Zed254

Time to study Operators Manuals, TMs and such: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...-802-5KW-Generator-and-MEP-803-10KW-Generator

I changed my thermostat because unit was overheating. I found out the problem there: I had put too much antifreeze in it. I was getting ready for Arctic duty....in VA Beach. I would not mess with it unless you're having problems.

Search the SS site for battery options - wet cells are OK.

snider

Time to study Operators Manuals, TMs and such: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...-802-5KW-Generator-and-MEP-803-10KW-Generator

I changed my thermostat because unit was overheating. I found out the problem there: I had put too much antifreeze in it. I was getting ready for Arctic duty....in VA Beach. I would not mess with it unless you're having problems.
QUOTE]

How many hours on your set when you started having heating issues? I was thinking of changing it for piece of mind knowing it has been sitting for a long time. thanks,

Zed254

When I bought my 803 in Dec 2016 it had 53 hours on a 2012 reset. As I said, the problem was ME as in not paying attention to detail. I read somewhere deep in the TMs (I think) that the coolant ratio was 60% antifreeze/40% water. True for Arctic service, NOT true for continental USA. I changed the thermostat out thinking it may have been plugged: It was not. The thermostat was as clean as the coolant I drained out. Same result when I changed out the radiator cap: it was in fine shape. Again, I created the overheating problem with the wrong coolant ratio. My 803 has 98 hours on it now and the coolant ratio is 50/50.

Last edited:

THENICK

I am brand new to this site. And brand new to the MEP 803. I just got my first one. This may sound stupid, but what is the trick to filling up the radiator? I know that it is empty. I know about the baffle that runs halfway down(inside). I've tried multiple times and multiple ways. All the water just runs out of the filler hole. I literally can't get any water in it. I've even gone through the TM. Nothing about filling the radiators.

csheath

I stuck some Walmart Value Power batteries in mine and they are working fine. I found the number 26 batteries fit in without hitting the unused mount tab on the block.
IMG_1384.JPG

My thermostat looked like new so I reused it and haven't had a problem. My radiator fins were full of dirt and I washed it out good.

I put mine right on the dirt. The only reason I see to put it on a platform is if you live in a flood prone area.

Last edited:

THENICK

Thank you for responding. I put a hose on the end of my funnel. Inserted about 2 inches down the radiator. The water kept coming out of the top. When I pulled the hose out, then I heard a little dribbling of water going in the radiator. I opened the petcock to see how much water went in. Less than 1 ounce came out of the petcock. I called the radiator manufacturer (found the sticker) they told me to fill it up at the radiator hose connection.

Has anyone else had any problems filling their radiators?

csheath

Thank you for responding. I put a hose on the end of my funnel. Inserted about 2 inches down the radiator. The water kept coming out of the top. When I pulled the hose out, then I heard a little dribbling of water going in the radiator. I opened the petcock to see how much water went in. Less than 1 ounce came out of the petcock. I called the radiator manufacturer (found the sticker) they told me to fill it up at the radiator hose connection.

Has anyone else had any problems filling their radiators?
I siphoned the coolant mixture into mine with a piece of tygon tubing and stood ready to pull it out when it got full.

THENICK

Thank you for that advice. I will try it when I get home from work. I'll let you know the results tonight

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a water bottle with the bottom corner cut out. Put an o-ring around the neck of the bottle or a few wraps of electrical tape so it fits into the radiator filler neck snug.

Bmxenbrett

I have never had to fill one from empty but why not just stick a floor jack under the fill side and tip the whole unit?

dav5

It is a lot easier if you have a means to tilt the generator away from the rad filler tube. I have a tractor with forks but you could use a farm jack on the skid. My 803A also had a bent overflow nipple that interfered with turning the rad cap. I used a piece of steel rod in the nipple and bent it down where it should have been.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks