• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP803 Newbie, need advice

THENICK

While you're familiarizing yourself with your new genset, check to see if it has had the MOV and fuse modifications performed. Both have been discussed in the forums extensively. I bought a reset 803a generator, and they had not been done on mine yet. They are both cheap insurance against future more costly grief.
Thank you for the wonderful advice. I will gladly take all that is given. I don't know what MOV means. But I will be looking in the forum for both of the items that you suggested.
SMILES ALL AROUND.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

There are discussions here on the forums about the fuse mod.

The manual here Military MEP generator reset information tells you what is needed, and where to hook it.

PDF page 29 has the MEP-8xx 5kw and 10kw fuse mod. It also has the ME-8xx 15kw and higher fuse mods listed too.

csheath

On the fuse mod I used a $4 inline fuse holder from the auto parts store and put a AGC 3 amp fast acting fuse in it. kloppk sent me a MOV and I added that as well. Haven't had any problems in almost a year of use with 40+ hours of operation so I assume my cheap substitute is adequate.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you please explain what A MOV is.
SMILES
MOV stands for Metal Oxide Varister

It's an electronic component about the size of a penny and is usually used to protect equipment from voltage spikes and surges.
They are commonly used inside power strips that have "surge suppression" built in.

The MOV is an "open circuit" under normal voltage conditions.
When a voltage spike or surge occurs the device "shorts out" absorbing the spike thus protecting the circuit it's installed in.
After the spike occurs the MOV returns to an "open circuit" and continues to protect the circuit from voltage spikes.

THENICK

Howdy,

There are discussions here on the forums about the fuse mod.

The manual here Military MEP generator reset information tells you what is needed, and where to hook it.

PDF page 29 has the MEP-8xx 5kw and 10kw fuse mod. It also has the ME-8xx 15kw and higher fuse mods listed too.
I'm impressed and excited. I just checked my MEP 803's. The fuse modification has already been done to them . WNext week I get my MOV and new fuel lines on. Then I think I can start them up. It's like waiting for Christmas.
SMILES ALL AROUND

hyderind

Did it come with the operator TM? If not, get it and read it well. Also the -20 (i believe) for all of the fluid concerns. I just got mine a few months ago and replaced all filters and fluids. It does not have to be on a slab since it has the skid underneath it but what i did was place a slab of solid blocks and then put the heavy stable matting under it. The batteries i got were exide batteries from TSC.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
-20? I can't find a doc that ends in -20??? :(

Last edited:

mcii

Yes these 802/3 sets are a pain to fill with the extream slant fill neck .... I took a radiator cap and punched a hole center mass in the actual cap after I had removed all the seal and springs and rubber gasket. then installed a 1/2" PVC fitting with a larger clear hose over the OD of the fitting, and fill till you are satisfied you got it filled ..easiest way to be sure is open bottom radiator drain cock and you should be able to see fluid level in your clear hose confirm level is going down. your luck will vary as you gain experience. mac/mc

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks