• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

11r22.5

deathrowdave

Sorry for the delay , I just flipped the caster shims that are on your axle now . I also added power steering at same time as changing wheels . So no answer if it was better before or after shim swap . I do know it was **** better after Tire and steering swap ! Thanks again , sorry for the delay in answering

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I came across a complete set of 22.5 wheels that will fit a deuce. All 11 wheels, with 9R-22.5 tires on them. Let me know if interested. Not mine.

You would probably want larger tires but the wheels are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What was or is the asking price of the 11 wheels and tires? And where did you come across them? I am leaning toward the 22.5's for the long run tire availability. I have watched road side tire changes of the 22.5's with one guy that knew what he was doing and with the proper hand tools completed the task in a few minutes on the roadside of I-5. I also have had too many tires with great tread fail dramatically due to age of the tire, and normally doing extensive body damage as a added expense that can often cost more than the darn tire. I don't see how 395's could last a lifetime if the rubber rots and the tire disintegrates. Perhaps I am missing something but based on my life experience, tires (and other rubber items) are one part that does not fare well in the passing years regardless of the numbers of miles. Moisture inside the tire is like a cancer that seems to destroy the tire with little outward signs. Tires filled with dry nitrogen helps but unless that is available all air compressors pick up moisture from the air, or worse, oil from the compressor crankcase. Both will attack the rubber and given time do extensive damage that you just don't see until it fails. As the supply of NOS tires gets older, this will become a bigger problem. Don't get me wrong, I have been a penny pincher my whole life but in doing so I have found doing something correctly is normally the least expensive when "real life" is factored in.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you search here, there is a company that makes the 6 lug 22.5 wheels new. About $250 per. Someone here very recently posted pics and links. Wheels look sharp and he runs duals.

I have looked for the "you just gotta look, they are out there" wheels. Not sure where they are, but out there they ain't. Not where I live.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
cattlerepairman, Where in Canada are you? I moved from So.Calif. about 5 years ago to Washington State.
One company I found for new wheels is www.wheelsnowinc.com. which the one I believe you are referring to. I have considered the MRAP and adapter plates but 395's aren't cheap and the available stock is getting older and there are tread patterns for the 22.5's that look real good for the Deuce.

rustystud

What was or is the asking price of the 11 wheels and tires? And where did you come across them? I am leaning toward the 22.5's for the long run tire availability. I have watched road side tire changes of the 22.5's with one guy that knew what he was doing and with the proper hand tools completed the task in a few minutes on the roadside of I-5. I also have had too many tires with great tread fail dramatically due to age of the tire, and normally doing extensive body damage as a added expense that can often cost more than the darn tire. I don't see how 395's could last a lifetime if the rubber rots and the tire disintegrates. Perhaps I am missing something but based on my life experience, tires (and other rubber items) are one part that does not fare well in the passing years regardless of the numbers of miles. Moisture inside the tire is like a cancer that seems to destroy the tire with little outward signs. Tires filled with dry nitrogen helps but unless that is available all air compressors pick up moisture from the air, or worse, oil from the compressor crankcase. Both will attack the rubber and given time do extensive damage that you just don't see until it fails. As the supply of NOS tires gets older, this will become a bigger problem. Don't get me wrong, I have been a penny pincher my whole life but in doing so I have found doing something correctly is normally the least expensive when "real life" is factored in.
Your right about the tires and rot. All the tire manufactures went to a "cheaper" softer rubber compound to "help" with road handling. All it really did is make everyone have to buy tires more often. Some of mine that are NOS from the 1970's (and kept inside) are still in great shape. Others I bought a few years ago are already showing side-wall cracks. So from now on any tire bought will have crappy wear characteristics. So having a modern tire size (for availability reasons) becomes even more important.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
cattlerepairman, Where in Canada are you? I moved from So.Calif. about 5 years ago to Washington State.
One company I found for new wheels is www.wheelsnowinc.com. which the one I believe you are referring to. I have considered the MRAP and adapter plates but 395's aren't cheap and the available stock is getting older and there are tread patterns for the 22.5's that look real good for the Deuce.
Wrong side...I'm just above NY state.
You would only buy rims once, regardless how much you drive. If you really want 22.5, it's either scrapyard searching (not here; these wheels do not exist where I live, as I said) to save a few bucks, or buy new and be done with it.....or be able to recenter some standard 22.5 10 hole rims with Deuce 6 hole centers. Of course, strictly for off-road use....

Perfect fit, not time consuming, cheap. Pick any two! You won't get the third.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

karl1430

So a redirect on this thread. Will dual 22.5 rims with standard 11r22.5 semi tires fit in the standard dual tire dual axle M35 configuration or do you have to single the truck out ? I haven't read this thread in a couple months and that was really the question I should have asked in the beginning. Also if someone has this set up some pics would be awesome. Thanks for the help guys

(I can get the rims in at an undisclosed junkyard east of the Mississippi but he only has 10 and I really want them so it's secret where the junkyard is)

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Karl!!!

Go get the 10 rims!

The OTR tread looks too big rig-ish for me. Sorry.
This needs gnarly offroad truck tread tires to look good. Otherwise...might as well go chrome your exhaust stack.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hear you on the tread. These tires were free takeoffs from a trucking outfit. He’s getting some all terrain aggressive treads soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks