• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new to me set of 419 axles

SuperJoe

Just purchased a set of steering 419 axles. I have a few questions I'm having a hard time getting any info on. Hoping you guys might be able to help. I've read the stickies and currently I'm going through the threads trying to gather info. Also I've tried Pirate but info and participation over there seems to have slowed to a snail pace, and also Benz World, however the pop ups and ads are killing my progress.

1 The regulator on the air pump seems to be set to around 110psi. For the locking diff do i apply that pressure straight in, or do i need to have another regulator to bring it down?

2 Does anyone know the bore on the brake master cyl? Being that the front axle has dual caliper discs i would assume the bore would have a greater volume to accommodate, compared to the drum trucks.

I'm sure I'll have lots of small questions along the way if anyone would like to volunteer a pm so I can rapid fire the Qs over with out spamming the board.

thanks

alpine44

Just purchased a set of steering 419 axles. I have a few questions I'm having a hard time getting any info on. Hoping you guys might be able to help. I've read the stickies and currently I'm going through the threads trying to gather info. Also I've tried Pirate but info and participation over there seems to have slowed to a snail pace, and also Benz World, however the pop ups and ads are killing my progress.

1 The regulator on the air pump seems to be set to around 110psi. For the locking diff do i apply that pressure straight in, or do i need to have another regulator to bring it down?

2 Does anyone know the bore on the brake master cyl? Being that the front axle has dual caliper discs i would assume the bore would have a greater volume to accommodate, compared to the drum trucks.

I'm sure I'll have lots of small questions along the way if anyone would like to volunteer a pm so I can rapid fire the Qs over with out spamming the board.

thanks
1) The pistons for the lockers get full pressure via the fitting on the short axle tube. Additionally, the entire axle is pressurized at a reduced pressure against water ingress when 4WD is engaged via the fitting on the long tube. That pressure exists before the lockers can be engaged and if you do not pressurize the entire axle you would need less pressure on the locker fitting. I can't find the spec for the axle pressurization right now but I will measure the pressure on my machine when I replace the tubing hopefully this weekend.

2) Bore of the brake master is between 35 and 36mm (hard to measure due to recessed bore). The front calipers on front axle get full pressure from one piston in master. The rear calipers on front axle and the calipers on rear axle get reduced pressure regulated via the ALB (axle load balancing) valve from the other piston in master.

The original master is in the $800 range and useless without the pneumatic brake booster that will set you back another $1000. However, you could probably get the ALB from one of the members here for a reasonable price.

If you build a rock crawler, you could take off one set of calipers from the steering axle and use a smaller master to get enough pressure on the pads.

What are you using the axles for?

Last edited:

SuperJoe

Thanks alpine44. Exactly what i was looking for. Reduced pressure on the long side for fording? What pressure does that run?

alpine44

Thanks alpine44. Exactly what i was looking for. Reduced pressure on the long side for fording? What pressure does that run?
Can't find the spec right now in the many pages of the manuals but I am going to replace my pressure lines hopefully this WE and will measure the actual pressure on my FLU419.
(See edits I made on my first reply while you posted your answer).

SuperJoe

Sorry, when i seen the edit, I didnt realize there were more questions. I plan on building some sort of rock crawler thing. Haven't started design yet as I'm currently looking into a platform vehicle that has cool lines. Not a typical generic jeepish design. I started with a set of 404s to replace the 2.5 ton rockwells I have been hording for years. After plenty of research mostly on pirate, it seems that they (404) have many short comings. The portal box is prone to break apart, the king pins are not designed to have the wheels hanging in the air and start to pull apart, the drum brakes are less than satisfactory for the rocks application, the 8 lug and disk conversion ruins the geometry of the ackerman and scrub and puts multiple stresses on the previous mentioned items. The short side steering axle shaft is the weak link. Aftermarket support has come and gone and is now almost nonexistent unless you are looking for stock replacement parts. With all these things the common thing noted was to buy a set of 406s and be done with it. I've been trying to internet research the weak links in the 406s but there is almost no info on them in that aspect. in real life i have spoken to quite a few people that have corroborated the 404 weak points, and have only found one guy using the 406s and says he has broke nothing with a fairly abusive right foot behind 525HP.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some people call them a FLU 419. Others call them a SEE 419. Are there differences? They look the same on google images
There's FLU 419.101, FLU419.102, and FLU419.103. Also known as SEE, HME, and HMMH.
Except for the HME, the drive train is identical between them. Well, the HMMH has a front suspension lockout that the others don't, but still.
For your purposes it's SEE or FLU419, being the same thing.

SuperJoe

If I am counting the splines correctly on the pinion I am looking for a 21 Spline coupler. I think I have read that the carrier spider gears for the axle shafts are also 21 spline. Can anyone confirm or debunk this info?? If the axle shaft splines are the same as the pinion, in theory it would give me more options for available parts correct?

I'm on the hunt for my next pieces to get this project rolling. I need the splined end of one or two prop shafts. A bent or broken prop or u-joint failure would be ok, as long as the splines are ok. I have the torque tube ends and need the next part so i can fab the pinion conversions.

alpine44

If I am counting the splines correctly on the pinion I am looking for a 21 Spline coupler. I think I have read that the carrier spider gears for the axle shafts are also 21 spline. Can anyone confirm or debunk this info?? If the axle shaft splines are the same as the pinion, in theory it would give me more options for available parts correct?

I'm on the hunt for my next pieces to get this project rolling. I need the splined end of one or two prop shafts. A bent or broken prop or u-joint failure would be ok, as long as the splines are ok. I have the torque tube ends and need the next part so i can fab the pinion conversions.
PM member "profo". He has two parts machines that were airdropped - literally. The splined section should have survived the impact though.
Member "speedwoble" maybe another possibility.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks