• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blew oil line engine now toast! Cat 3116 getting replaced

dmetalmiki

First, hello all. Long time lurker.

We bought an M1079 and have been doing a lot of work and driving it a LOT over the past summer and this weekend that came to a screaming end when an oil line ruptured and subsequently so did our engine as we descended Washington pass.

Happy to elaborate, but right now my main interest is finding a new engine for this baby as it is our full time house right now. Anyone have one they want to crate up and send to Mt Vernon?

FYI we are on Instagram @dieselpowerwolfpack if that's your thing...
Very sorry to hear of the damage because of oil failure on your truck. but (your child's facial expression, Priceless, as he/she seems to be saying, "no good dad", "sorry, I checked, it's really busted".
I see later [posts report your good truck now repaired. So very well done. Though I would be inclined (as some variously suggest) To fit a substantial high grade flexible armoured oil line, with an oil pressure gauge teed in mid length. That is such an expensive fault to rectify, And relatively little cost for preventing failure by fitting such items.

Last edited:

jbayer

People post here about needing help, they overcome come their problem, whether directly, or indirectly through members here, or maybe not through members at all. And then they have the nerve to never report back with how they made out. IDK, that seems kinda of rude, and selfish to me.:sad:

Reworked LMTV

There is speculation that going to an 8.3 cummins would give better fuel millage. Since you gotta replace engine anyway.... if cost is not much different. I'd go that route. One from a School Bus or Motorhome would be most compatible.
While this is not a swap thread, I like the DT570 or DT530. Dimensions are pretty much same as the DT466 I believe. Bolts up to m3070. I researched the Cummins m11 series. Kind of big. DT570 could be tuned to 1150 pounds of torque. You can tune it how you want. True you could tear up more.

Reworked LMTV

I think we need a sticky. "Things that killed or could kill a 3116/3126/C7". I certainly would like to check everything. Anyone else agree?

Reworked LMTV

Would you go to Clark for one of these or? Not familiar with high pressure armored hoses.

Very sorry to hear of the damage because of oil failure on your truck. but (your child's facial expression, Priceless, as he/she seems to be saying, "no good dad", "sorry, I checked, it's really busted".
I see later [posts report your good truck now repaired. So very well done. Though I would be inclined (as some variously suggest) To fit a substantial high grade flexible armoured oil line, with an oil pressure gauge teed in mid length. That is such an expensive fault to rectify, And relatively little cost for preventing failure by fitting such items.

coachgeo

A discussion over at facebook seems to be pointing toward this situation happening to another 3116.

also in here is a discussion where someone did NOT use a flex line.. but a hard line with a loop to better allow for dissipation of vibration or something to that effect...... if anyone happens to come across it.... please post up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks