• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1028 with M35 cargo bed?

BOSN

I found a pic of what looks to be a 1028 with a cargo bed from a M35 on it, anyone have experience with this swap? I figured whoever did this might be a member on here.
Im looking to something similar to my 89 V3500 cab and chassis (159.5" wb)

Attachments

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your going to try something like that, use a LMTV bed. They have aluminum drop sides. The deuce beds rot around the stake pockets and the front. Not the best designed beds in my opinion. You will have a hard time finding a deuce bed in decent shape.

Last edited:

BOSN

If your going to try something like that, use a LMTV bed. They have aluminum drop sides. The deuce beds rot around the stake pockets and the front. Not the best designed beds in my opinion. You will have a hard time finding a deuce bed in decent shape.
I thought about the M105 trailer bed, but it's not long enough for my wheel base. from the back of my frame to the cab is roughly 10'8", so I'd have to cut the frame and driveshaft or extend the bed.
There aren't drains in the base of the stake pockets on the M35 beds? Not Cool.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its a great idea. I have an 87 V30 with 159.5" wb as well. The deuce bed weighs nearly a ton so it might limit your GVWR. They look tough as nails though.

BOSN

Its a great idea. I have an 87 V30 with 159.5" wb as well. The deuce bed weighs nearly a ton so it might limit your GVWR. They look tough as nails though.
Did you cut down the length or leave it at 12'?
How did the bed line up with the truck frame rails? From what I have read bed frame rails are 34", same as the 1 ton frame.
Is it set up with a dump?
Are you sure about the weight? 2000lbs sounds like a lot. I was figuring 750-1000 lbs.
Got any pics?????

Sorry for all the questions, just glad to hear someone else has done this before!

BOSN

Those drop sides must make a **** of a racket though. 2 hinged sides and a tailgate all vibrating and clanging around.
I haven't been able to find any weight estimates on the 12' cargo bed (M35) I was just guessing 1000 lbs or less. anyone know for sure?

502NDMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just sold a drop side bed, I love them and the noise wasn't ever an issue.

502NDMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The weight is around a ton, they are heavy. We used a 5 ton crane to remove the last one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks