• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

no air for 4wd or brakes

frankdontank

I just bought a 1988 flu419. Runs great and hydraulics are perfect, but the air lines and tanks are rusted thru. The pump works because I can hear it hiss at the right rear when I shut it down.
I got it stuck and was wondering if there was any way to manually lock the differential without air going to the controls? All of my lines are rusted or stopped up and it looks like it is impossible to change them all with the back hoe over everything. Is it possible to just hook air to that system so I can get it out of the mud?
Thanks
Frank

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Frank, yes you can feed pressure to the axles from an external source. From one of those portable air tanks, for example.
But I'm afraid that there may be more to it than to get air to the rear locker (the 4WD you can engage manually if need be, in which case you might as well lock both axles).
I'd use the backhoe to get out of your predicament rather than trying to get things working while in the mud.

Speedwoble

If you tilt the backhoe, you may be able to reach the pneumatic cylinder that actuates the 4wd. It is spring loaded to 2wd, but you may be able to wire it in to 4wd. My personal opinion is , if you are stuck, the 4wd will only get you deeper. 16000lbs on 4 tires will sink. Try the backhoe.

alpine44

If you tilt the backhoe, you may be able to reach the pneumatic cylinder that actuates the 4wd. It is spring loaded to 2wd, but you may be able to wire it in to 4wd. My personal opinion is , if you are stuck, the 4wd will only get you deeper. 16000lbs on 4 tires will sink. Try the backhoe.
I second this suggestion having been in the same predicament but with 4WD working.
Extend the backhoe straight back as a counterweight and prop the front tires up with the loader (the loader is too weak for this when the hoe is stowed). Put gravel, small rocks or planks under the tires. Then lift the loader, release the handbrake, and use the hoe to pull yourself out backwards. The outriggers stay up for both steps.

Once you put more time on your SEE you will be amazed how easily 16000 lbs bog down and how easily the hoe moves the same 16000 lbs around when you are digging.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks