• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV 4-man Soft Top Slant Back

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know what price I will ask yet, but it is on my mind, as I would like to be able to offer these and serve the need.

I have gathered figures for the bulk cost of the steel, since that's as easy as a trip to Home Depot. I still need to research canvas costs since it has been a while since I bought the canvas and I need to learn by doing as to how many yards of Cordura nylon it takes per top. I am using good quality ingredients, since I want it to last. Outdoor UV-rated thread included. After the canvas is sorted, I need to experience the sewing and make sure the pattern is good for being sewed together. Then I need to figure out if I can manage to get the rolled up soft back and rails into one box that still comes in under the UPS and FedEx oversize package penalty fee. My back of the napkin estimate is that it will be close, and I won't be certain until I try. To save bulk I will probably not include the foam pipe padding, as it is bulky and readily available at any home store.

I haven't cut canvas yet because I decided a few days ago to take another look at the frame dimensions before I proceed, in consideration that I remembered/rediscovered the velcro strip along the back of the soft top. This strip is obviously the best way to fix the front of the soft back to the rear of the top. My frame might be a little short, as I was trying to come in under the roofline. Being even with the roofline might be better from the perspective of fastening well to the velcro strip. I don't know yet.

I also want a better solution for the diagonal corner rails. I don't like pounding them flat and bolting them. I have a 3D printer and passable skill at CAD. I believe I can design a fitting to print that will tidy up that joint, but need to key it all in.

With all that said, I am expecting to come in the mid $300's at least, not sure about shipping (included or extra). I expect the amount of sewing is the labor intensive portion, and the part that will have me wanting to feel like I've gotten a good trade for my effort.

Still, I can't imagine this coming from a for-profit business for less than $750, after they develop patterns and engage sewing services. I will make it affordable to the average MV owner like myself, or I won't offer it.

Bulldogger

Last edited:

Skrilex

Banned
Material called “sunbrella” is the most durable sun and rain resistant fabric available. I’ll be making mine out of that stuff. Lots of colors too. Of course I want the utmost water resistant being in the PNW

infidel got me

You might as well go ahead and make me one. My arm is killing me from you twisting it so much. From what I've seen you do quality work. Let me know when you get closer .Thanks Will

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK Will. I'll put you down as my first guinea pig, I mean customer.

I will make time to work on my prototype slant back this week. I'm going to give a hard thought to making the frame a hair larger to improve, and after that won't have any excuse not to cut some canvas.

Bulldogger

jeffy777

When you are done and in production. I am sure I will want one. Your design makes the slant back workable!

Wire Fox

If anyone wants a similar alternative that would be lower quality work that still looks the part, do what Bulldogger has done to build the frame, but then gather aircraft fabric, appropriate adhesive, the shrinking agent, and a heat gun. What you do is cut the fabric to shape for the slant back and apply the adhesive to join the fabric to the perimeter framework. Once that has fully cured, you can spray down the fabric with the shrinking agent and then apply heat to it. As you apply the heat, you can watch as the fabric shrinks and becomes tight as a drum. Once everything is fully dried and set, you can then paint spray it to match the body color/pattern. I call this lower quality because the material will be much more easily punctured and you won't be able to have things like zippers or the ability to remove the fabric from the frame you constructed. I have used this with success for what accounts to be an ultralight go-kart that was to obtain extremely high mileage:

13261_19410.jpg

[none of these were the car I helped build, but it's the same category]

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry ari, that is well beyond my welding ability and even if I could it would certainly add significant weight and cost. My design intentions are aimed squarely at "repel water", not "provide protection".

Bulldogger

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Progress this evening:I put the existing frame back on the HMMWV and gave it a critical eye with attention to the alignment of the top of the frame and the Velcro strip along the back of the soft top. It could be 1/2” taller but that is within the fudge factor so I decided to press onward. Made an an effort to lay out the patterns this way and that way on my piece of canvas with the goal of minimizing wasted fabric, and of course trying to keep straight with the grain of the weave. Here it is in final layout.5AF786D5-230C-4FC8-8052-8D5C71E95E2C.jpgThe empty areas are not waste, they will serve as skirting. Then not not a little tracing, giving an extra 1” to internal seam edges and 3” to outside edges. 6F3A0E78-C419-408B-965D-2767BA414A7C.jpgSeveral deep breaths and it was time to fish or cut canvas. Here is the waste:22D028B9-1920-493A-BD88-076574BF85E5.jpgHere they are laid out. I cut the window and laid it out too. The strip along the top will be cut in half lengthwise and doubled edge to edge to become a 10’ long 5” wide strip to sew the Velcro to and the strip at the bottom will be cut as needed to serve as a bottom skirt under the window’s bottom edge. DDC9556D-DCE8-4DE6-BFC5-9441E8D675B7.jpgI’ve decided in this Mk 1 variant that the frame will extend over the tailgate, as you’ve seen, so a bottom skirt all the way around won’t hamper bed access any more than the frame does. The current frame design is reasonably solid and can be handled by one man. To cut out the rear center to allow bed access will weaken it noticeably. Maybe for Mk2 or 3 I’ll try to figure that out. Now for for a few quick whip stitches and....ok, maybe not so quick. But I’ll start it this week. Bulldogger

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks IGM, it's good to have a fan. I appreciate the encouragement. I hope to begin some stitching tomorrow. Have to clear a large table for room to work the canvas on as I patch it together.
BDGR

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today’s progress

After hemming and hawing it was time to get the sewing machine set up, get the table cleared and start stitching.
Here is a progress shot of the top and the middle rear sections stitched in place. I’m folding over 1” seams and holding them in place with rubber cement.
811D39DF-2FBC-42E3-BBDC-47DD4BAA9666.jpg

Then I added a side panel and double stitched the existing seams, save the window because I haven’t decided exactly how to set it and the zippers up yet. I’m not a pro when it comes to zippers, but I want some kind of overhang of vinyl or canvas over the zipper seam to help keep water out.
523C4D0A-7A9C-41AA-B7B5-18D6886FEDAF.jpg
8594DD34-FA83-496B-AE3D-596B0EF5FA55.jpg

It is no simple feat to corral this much canvas in terms of surface area or weight. My machine’s elevated foot is great for stitching small objects but very hard to manage flat panels.

When I was a kid I mowed lawns and had a customer that was a boat cover company. I saw their huge sewing tables and couldn’t imagine how they worked or why they had to be so much larger than my mother’s little table mounted fold-away machine she used for shirts and such.
Now I know. And I have table envy!

I will do my best to get the second side panel on tomorrow and see what it looks like draped over the frame. There are a few puckers in the fabric that were unavoidable. I’m hoping they sort themselves out with stretching and time.

Once it is draped I have to decide where the Velcro tie downs will hold it to the frame.

Bulldogger

riderdan

If you were going to make these for other folks, you'd definitely want to invest in an industrial/upholstery machine. I'm taking auto restoration classes right now, and have taken the trim class (upholstery), and I can barely imagine struggling to feed 30 pounds of canvas through a household machine. You're a brave man.

This is a cool project. Keep posting pictures!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks