• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV 4-man Soft Top Slant Back

DCIV

I like that way more than I thought I was gonna! Did you figure out how much you are gonna charge? Can you do it in the sand/tan?

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tan is do-able. I just don’t have a way to match camo since it would need to be painted.

I can make this style out of any color nylon Cordura comes in really

I haven’t calculated the final cost yet but will have that all by the time I declare it finished.

Bulldogger

Last edited:

Colditz

I really appreciated what you have done here. First new idea for a long time.
But I think i could be done better, to really catch the slant back proportions.

Maybe version A1 this time, pipes, bend, weld:

m998_soft_top.jpg

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really appreciated what you have done here. First new idea for a long time.
But I think i could be done better, to really catch the slant back proportions.

Maybe version A1 this time, pipes, bend, weld:

View attachment 704258
Thank-you for this detailed feedback Colditz. Sadly, this kind of detail is beyond my ability. I do hope to round the back corners slightly, with better brackets on the tubes that come down from the upper corners, but it won't capture the more broad curves of the fiberglass or aluminum OEM slant backs.

Bulldogger

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope all will forgive me for the long time between updates. I had a two week business trip and am just getting settled back in.
I doubled up a remaining seam last night and have gathered most of the remaining materials. I still need to grab another 10’ of Velcro for the front edge but can continue on the fasteners and other fitments.

I’m hoping to have it mounted for my drive to the Glen Allen VA VFW Tanks and Trucks meetup this Saturday. We’ll see.

Bulldogger
11DF8409-5ABD-46BC-A25A-4051047F959D.jpg

cwajciec

Is that meetup on Saturday off of Cedar Lane? If so that’s really close to my house and my son and I should be there. Could do some recon while I wait in EUC limbo for my M998

nattieleather

Excellent job you are doing. Not bad sewing for a mechanic...lol. In theory you should have identical left and right sides. As I looked at your pictures of the pattern layout it looks like this is the case. A quick tip to help you in the future should you decide to make more is to fold your cloth in half and place one of the duplicate patterns on the material and then trace and cut the material thus cutting both patterns at the same time. This will save time and material. You can even place long single pieces on the fold by putting the folded in half long piece on the fold and then cut the whole piece out. This is the basis of how sewing patterns work and sewers have been using this trick for years. I make patterns and sew almost everyday and when I'm working with cloth I use this method. Unfortunately I can't use this method on leather because they we haven't learned to grow square cows yet...:lol:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks nattieleather. Yes, I made patterns for each side then put each piece's pattern against the other and "faired the bearing" between them to make each side pattern identical in mirror image. I also folded large flat panels back on themselves to make them symmetric edge to edge. Then I spent a fair amount of time laying out the patterns on the canvas with the intent of staying along the grain of the weave and minimizing waste. I'm sure as I get rolling, assuming that... 1) I make a decent top in the end and 2) get any demand to fill, I will experiment with other methods of patterning. If I can cut and sew the pieces easier or better by using different methods, even if they happen to generate a little more waste, I'd try that, since making it easier to sew or quicker to sew is also valuable.
Bulldogger

jeffy777

I hope all will forgive me for the long time between updates. I had a two week business trip and am just getting settled back in.
I doubled up a remaining seam last night and have gathered most of the remaining materials. I still need to grab another 10’ of Velcro for the front edge but can continue on the fasteners and other fitments.

I’m hoping to have it mounted for my drive to the Glen Allen VA VFW Tanks and Trucks meetup this Saturday. We’ll see.

Bulldogger
View attachment 706203

I look forward to seeing you and yours there!

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But then again....
872C71B5-4D36-4274-8287-0AA30C66B82A.jpg

Now that I’ve gotten the alignment sorted I should be able to sew the zip halves in during pre assembly. This will reduce the PITA factor from tonight’s level noticeably.

It zips up and down. I am happy. Tomorrow is the other side of the window’s zipper and then 22 or so Velcro fastener strips on the underside that will hold the canvas to the frame.

The 10’ long double Velcro strip along the front remains to be done, and it will be a challenge. I probably won’t get that done before the VFW event, but I should be able to mount it and drive w it on.

My friend’s upholstery machine if looking better and better.

Bulldogger

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last night’s progress. Trying hard to be able to mount it tonight or first thing in the morning. Worked on it until I couldn’t see well enough to thread the needle, but got enough tie downs and loops on to tentatively put it on the frame.
It’s a bit floppy, but a lot of tension should come from the tie downs on the sides once I strap them in.
Have to make the long Velcro strip to go across the front still and some skirting for the back bottom.
Almost there!

Bulldogger

Attachments

Action

So, once complete and installed... If you unzip the hatch, it might not zip closed easy until you release the side straps. I dont know how much tension will be across the top.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Action, I am wondering too how well it will work in practical use. The securing straps of velcro that go around the tubes are currently able to flex and roll as they wish because the foam is not glued in place, which is different from how the standard soft top foam is fixed. It may well be that the foam has to be glued down. I'm holding off so that I can see what the whole mess rolls up to, with and without foam, to see if I will have to ship it without the foam (which is readily available and cheap anyway) so that it comes in under the FedEx/UPS large package penalty.

I'm independently worried that it will be a floppy mess, which has already been raised. Time will tell, and soon.

Still, it's coming together very close to the picture in my head, and I am pleased so far. I will definitely make several minor changes to the patterns, and sew it together in a different order of assembly, having tested the patterns and learned as I went.

With some hard work tonight I should be able to mount it in time for the rally tomorrow to show to others and get their feedback (and pre-orders, of course ;-) .

Bulldogger

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Chinese HMMWV clone has a soft slant top variant.

Mark

20171104_081701.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks