• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Decent paint job with brush and roller - anyone?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember it wasn't too long ago I met someone who painted their truck with a brush and roller - the results were surprisingly good! I'm not talking about show-grade or anything like that, but I was surprised how good it turned out.

Anyone painted their military truck with a roller? What type of paint did you use? Pics?

tobyS

I remember it wasn't too long ago I met someone who painted their truck with a brush and roller - the results were surprisingly good! I'm not talking about show-grade or anything like that, but I was surprised how good it turned out.

Anyone painted their military truck with a roller? What type of paint did you use? Pics?
I used Behr Ultra Premium Plus and added Flotrol. On the M929, there is a line across the door where I have started, so you can see the comparison of old paint and new. (383 green).

Don't do it in extreme heat or direct sun and it will smooth out better and use red primer to repair rust. Acrylic latex is not perfectly waterproof so rust will come back if not spot repaired. Use descent brushes and rollers, not the cheapest available.

Attachments

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
image.jpgimage.jpgPainted mine with brush and roller and used Behr Premium Ultra straight out of the can. Had to move the truck to the shade as it was drying too fast in the sun. Painter over 2 years ago and still looks pretty good. Some poorly prepped rust does show through.

Attachments

joshuak

Both are roller jobs, the Blazer is Behr Premium Plus Ultra, the '10 is Behr Marquee. Where needed rust was converted with phosphoric acid, and primed with Rustoleum's rusty metal primer. Prep was done as best I could (more bellow). The '10 I thinned the paint by 30-40% with water, 4 or 5 coats. The '09 only thinned 10%, and 2 coats if I remember correctly. I like the '10 paint job better. Three years of no garage and DD for the '09 and it looks fine to me, the other has only been on a few months.

IMG_2455.jpg

I enjoy reading Commander Zout's "Project Time" threads, I've managed to pick up quite a bit. Here's one where he keeps it low budget and still delivers a fine looking product, and as usual unselfishly sharing intel. If you catch this, thanks Commander.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?119572-Project-Time-Again-re-paint

hplacess

check out the 'Behr Paint Jobs - show me your MVs...' thread which has many examples of roll jobs. page 68, post 675 and 676 are mine. I painted my m101a2 trailer with Behr Marquee and a roller. even though it was 'rolled', it came out looking like it was 'sprayed' by a pro.

do not paint in direct sun or very high humidity or high wind and the paint will level out nicely. also, be sure to use a 'low nap' roller cover. I used a 4" roller cover.

try a small section of your vehicle if you are thinking about it.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks