Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: What's your best 'that was dumb' moment involving your 5 ton?

MVPA
    Thanks

As a new owner of an XLWB truck (M928A1) I guess this is something I need to become extra aware of...how loooonnnggg and aaawwwwkkkkwaaaarrdddddd they are...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 71DeuceAK For This Useful Post:

TechnoWeenie (08-19-2018)

MVPA
    Thanks

Had a really good one today. (Well, three things actually).

Helping fellow member with their truck. (M923A2). Go to check fluids before trying to start for the first time in several months. Check fluids. Realize the past several times I've been doing this WRONG. Truck had historically had an overheating issue, turns out the idiot me thought the expansion tank was supposed to be less than full, when in reality it should be filled to the bottom of the fill tube. Needless to say, doesn't overheat anywhere near as badly.

While doing this, "Where's the cap?" We searched everywhere, even taking a flat bit shovel and a push broom and sifting through the snow on the asphalt driveway around the truck. By now we're mad at ourselves. I even climb under the truck and feel around the top of the axle and transmission. Climb up on the driver side, look, and presto, it's hanging behind the expansion tank between it and the firewall on it's little chain. D'OH! Always check the obvious things first!

Last time we had tried to start the truck, the heat wouldn't even melt ice on the dash. (In November, +10*F, Fairbanks, Alaska temps, mind you). Wonder why? Turns out I had forgotten the blower has an actual SWITCH on the dash, not just the dampers that have to be pulled out. Needless to it defrosted and warmed the cab just fine after that realization.

I have all the specs on these things memorized, but I still commit idiotic errors nevertheless.
    '86 M928A1

Founder of Friends of the M939-Series Trucks

MVPA # 37704

"I'm in this weird predicament where I know where every grease zerk on an M939 series truck is, but can't even fix a Briggs & Stratton lawnmower. Is that any indicator?"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 71DeuceAK For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (01-27-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (01-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,281 Times in 7,051 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 71DeuceAK View Post
    Had a really good one today. (Well, three things actually).

Helping fellow member with their truck. (M923A2). Go to check fluids before trying to start for the first time in several months. Check fluids. Realize the past several times I've been doing this WRONG. Truck had historically had an overheating issue, turns out the idiot me thought the expansion tank was supposed to be less than full, when in reality it should be filled to the bottom of the fill tube. Needless to say, doesn't overheat anywhere near as badly.

While doing this, "Where's the cap?" We searched everywhere, even taking a flat bit shovel and a push broom and sifting through the snow on the asphalt driveway around the truck. By now we're mad at ourselves. I even climb under the truck and feel around the top of the axle and transmission. Climb up on the driver side, look, and presto, it's hanging behind the expansion tank between it and the firewall on it's little chain. D'OH! Always check the obvious things first!

Last time we had tried to start the truck, the heat wouldn't even melt ice on the dash. (In November, +10*F, Fairbanks, Alaska temps, mind you). Wonder why? Turns out I had forgotten the blower has an actual SWITCH on the dash, not just the dampers that have to be pulled out. Needless to it defrosted and warmed the cab just fine after that realization.

I have all the specs on these things memorized, but I still commit idiotic errors nevertheless.
    It takes a REAL MAN to admit our foolish missteps.

Glad these things seem to have "happy endings" for you.

Thanks for sharing.

John

6. The Following User Says Thank You to USAFSS-ColdWarrior For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (01-27-2019)

MVPA
    Thanks

I actually thought it was quite funny, even as it was happening.
    '86 M928A1

Founder of Friends of the M939-Series Trucks

MVPA # 37704

"I'm in this weird predicament where I know where every grease zerk on an M939 series truck is, but can't even fix a Briggs & Stratton lawnmower. Is that any indicator?"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 71DeuceAK For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (01-27-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (01-26-2019)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7